Surah Luq’maan is an initialed surah prefixed with Alif.Laam.Meem, a set of Quranic initials being a sign of the wise scripture, which is a guidance and mercy for the good-doers. In this surah, God has highlighted the advices of Luqman to his son and has confirmed His words what are given us in our guidance are accurate and enough that we can praise and pray Him. Thus, He has given us every word what we need to believe to do the righteous deeds to deserve the blissful Paradise if the given words are studied, and understood and followed making our priority to obey His commands and laws.
Properties of Luqmaan
- Surah name: Luqmaan (Luqman in English).
- No of verses: 34.
- Revelation order: 57.
- Placement in the physical arrangement: # 31.
- Quranic initials prefixed to it: Alif (A).Laam (L).Meem (M).
- Earlier revelation among 6 ALM prefixed initialed surahs.
- Its revelation before the ALM initialed surah al-Baqarah.
Count of Alef.Laam.Meem (ALM) prefixed to 6 surahs
There are 6 ALM prefixed surahs in the Quran and the count of ALM in all 6 ALM initialed is shown in the table below, while the order of revelation of surah Luqmaan is the first among the 6 ALM initialed surahs, which is marked with asterisk, and their total count is a multiple of 19 =>19874(19x1046):
Note: Data obtained from the updated count of Quranic initials published in the submission.org.
It is noteworthy that the total occurrences of ALM as counted in the six surahs is a multiple of 19 which means that they occur at certain frequencies as maintained by the Author along with literary excellence in His book, and if any of these letters in these six surahs is altered where they belong to, it would destroy this mathematical phenomenon. Thus, these letters are not only mathematical proofs of the Quran that the Quran is from God but are also protecting it from any distortion being letter level invisible guards (15:9), which was hidden to the people in the past even many who witness the truth now.
Details of the surah
Surah Luq’maan is an Alif.Laam.Meem prefixed short surah but if we can reflect to its verses, we should not have any confusion to worship God without associating partners with Him to deserve gardens of the Bliss with God being grateful to Him. However, here is an attempt to detail out its verses in the English translation going through the Arabic text and grammar to reflect the word for word translation in the translation having subtitles including short notes to understand the messages in the surah:
A sign of the wise scripture, which is guidance and mercy for the good-doers
- Alif.Laam.Meem (31:1). That is of signs of the wise scripture (31:2). A guidance and a mercy for the good-doers (31:3).
Note: Alif.Laam.Meem, a set of Quranic initials, is a sign of the wise scripture, which is a guidance and a mercy for the good-doers. The word, til’ka in (31:2), is a demonstrative pronoun in singular feminine form meaning “that” refers to alif.laam.meem in (31:1) which is a set instead of individual Arabic letters indicating a special role in the scripture, and the word, aayaatu in plural feminine form meaning “signs” refer to 14 sets of Quranic initials as mentioned in (15:87). Thus, the interpretation of til’ka to “these” even in singular form considering aayaatu in plural form and Alif.Laam.Meem to “letters” by many translators are misinterpretation, while there are such 14 sets in the Quran prefixed to 29 Surahs.
Winners are those who have been on guidance from their Lord
- Those who establish the salat prayer and give the zakat, and they ascertain about the Hereafter (31:4). Those are on guidance from their Lord, and those – they are the successful ones (31:5).
Note: (1) Establishing the Salat prayer, (2) giving the Zakat, (3) to be certain about the Hereafter and (4) to be on God’s guidance are the ways to be winners in the Hereafter.
Losers are those who have accepted and followed baseless Hadith
- And among the people whoever accepts the baseless Hadith to mislead from God’s path without knowledge and takes it as mockery; those, for them there is a humiliating punishment (31:6). And when is recited our revelations to him, he has turned away being arrogant as if he did not hear them, as if there is deafness in his ears. So, you shall inform him of a painful punishment (31:7).
Note: Those who accept and follow baseless Hadiths disregarding God’s revelations behave like a deaf, for them there is a painful punishment in the Hereafter.
The righteous deserve gardens of the Bliss
- Indeed, those who have believed and have done the righteous deeds, for them, there will be gardens of the Bliss (31:8), as dwellers therein forever. God’s promise is true. And He is the Almighty, the Wise (31:9).
Note: God’s promise for those who have believed and have done the righteous deed are gardens of the bliss wherein they will be abiding forever.
The righteous reflect to God’s creations
- He has created the heavens without pillars you see them, and has placed mountains in the earth lest it might tremble with you, and He has spread in it of every creature. And we have sent down water from the sky that we have made to grow every beautiful kind (31:10). This is God’s creation. So, show Me what has created those other than Him. Nay, the wrongdoers are far astray (31:11).
Note:We can see what God has created while the wrongdoers are far astray cannot see His creations.
Association of partners with God is a great injustice
- And certainly, we had given Luqman the wisdom that you shall be grateful to God. And whoever would be grateful, then he would only be grateful for himself. And whoever has been ungrateful, then indeed, God is Rich, Praiseworthy (31:12). And when Luqman said to his son, while he advises him, “O my son, do not associate partners with God; indeed, association of partners is a great injustice.” (31:13).
Note: Luqman was given wisdom what he used to be grateful to God and he also asked his son to do the same letting him know that association of partners with God is a great injustice.
God has commanded us to treat our parents with kindness
- And we have enjoined the human being about his parents. His mother has borne him as of weakness and his weaning is about 2 years that you shall be grateful to Me and to your parents; to Me is the destination (31:14). While if they have strived you on that you associate partners with Me what you have not any knowledge of it, then you do not obey them; and you shall accompany them with kindness in the world, and shall follow a path of whoever has turned to Me. Then, to Me is your return, then I will inform you of what you have done to accomplish (31:15).
Note: God has commanded us to treat our parents with kindness but to avoid them if they insist us on associating partners with Him.
Luqman’s advices to his son
- “O my son, indeed it, if it be weight of a grain of a mustard seed, then it be in a rock, or in the heavens or in the earth, God will bring it out. Indeed, God is Subtle, Cognizant (31:16). “O my son, you shall establish the salat prayer, and shall enjoin with the right and shall forbid from the evil, and shall be steadfast over what has befallen you. That is of the determining affairs (31:17). “You should not turn your face from the people, nor should you walk in the earth proudly. God does not love any arrogant boaster (31:18). And you shall be humble in your walk and shall lower your voice; indeed, harshest of the voices is surely the donkeys’ voice.” (31:19).
Note: Luqman’s advice to his son was that God knows everything whether it does not matter how small it is and where it is, while he should establish the salat prayer and should advocate the right and should forbid from the evil, and he should speak and walk humbly and should lower his voice not turning away from the people.
Blindly following forefathers is a call of the Satan to the Hellfire
- Do you not see that God has committed for you what is in the heavens and what is in the earth, and has bestowed upon you His apparent and hidden blessings? And of the people there is whoever disputes about God without having knowledge, nor guidance, nor an enlightening scripture (31:20). And when it has been said to them, “You shall follow what God has sent down,” they said, “Nay, we follow what we have found our forefathers on it.” And if had it been the Satan to call them to a punishment of the Blazing fire? (31:21).
Note: Despite God’s blessings around us, those who follow forefathers without having knowledge nor accepting guidance and an enlightening scripture, the Satan has invited them to the punishment of the blazing fire.
The disbelievers are granted temporary enjoyment in the earth
- And whoever submits himself to God, while he is a good-doer, then certainly, he has grasped of the trustworthy support. And to God is end of all the matters (31:22). And whoever has disbelieved, then his disbelief should not sadden you. To us is their return, then we will inform them of what they had done. Indeed, God is Knower of what in the breasts (31:23). We grant them a temporary enjoyment, then we will commit them to a severe punishment (31:24).
Note: Those who submitted to God have grasped the trustworthy support while those who disbelieved and their disbelief should not sadden them. To God is their return and He will inform them of what they used to do as He knows what is in their hearts. They have been granted temporary enjoyment but will suffer a painful when they meet their Lord, even though they were aware that God is a Creator of the heavens and the earth but were not sure that all praise belongs to Him.
God has given us all His words that need to follow to praise Him
- And if you ask them, “Who has created the heavens and the earth.” Certainly, they will say, “God.” Say, “All praise belongs to God.” Still, most of them do not know (31:25). To God belongs what in the heavens and the earth. Indeed, God is the Self-sufficient, the Praiseworthy (31:26). And if that whatever of trees in the earth were pens, and the ocean were (ink) adding to it after of it to seven oceans, God’s words would not have run out. Indeed, God is Almighty, Wise (31:27).
Note: Even the disbelievers know that God is a Creator of the heavens and the earth but has failed to praise Him while He has confirmed that all our praise belongs to Him, and He is being Almighty and Wise has given us all His words that we need to praise Him, the Self-sufficient and the Praiseworthy.
God’s signs help a steadfast grateful but not an ungrateful traitor
- Neither is your creation nor is your resurrection except like a single person. Indeed, God is Hearer, Seer (31:28). Do you not see that God causes the night to enter into the day and causes the day to enter into the night, and that He has subjected the sun and the moon, each running for an appointed term, and that God is Cognizant of what you do? (31:29). That is of that God – He is the Truth, and that what they call other than Him is the falsehood, and that God – He is the greatest High (31:30). Do you not see that the ships sail in the sea by God’s grace that He may show you of His signs? Indeed, in that surely, there are signs for every steadfast, grateful (31:31). When waves covered them like canopies, they have called God being sincere to Him in the religion. But when He has delivered them to the shore, then of them are moderate. And none denies our revelations except every ungrateful traitor (31:32).
Note: Those who reflect to God’s signs know that He is the truth and to Him is their return, they call Him being sincere in His religion to be steadfast grateful while those who call other than Him is the falsehood, who deny His revelations to be ungrateful traitors.
The life of the world should not deceive us nor should the deceiver deceive us about God
- O people, you shall fear your Lord and shall fear a Day, a father cannot help his son, nor can a son help his father anyway. Certainly, God’s promise is truth. So, do not let the life of world deceive you nor let the deceiver deceive you about God (31:33).
Note: Here is a warning that a day is surely coming even father cannot help his son nor can son help his father on that day. Thus, the life of the world should not deceive us nor should the deceiver deceive us about God.
God is Knower of whatever is unknown to us
- Indeed God, with Him is a knowledge of the Hour. And He sends down the rain, and He knows what is in the wombs. And no soul knows what it will earn tomorrow, and no soul knows in which land it will die. Indeed, God is Knower, Cognizant (31:34).
Note: God has blessed us with ways to know certain events which were only known to Him, but there is no way for us to know when and where we will die.
- Surah Luqmaan is a short surah consisting of 34 verses being the first among 6 Alif.Laam.Meem prefixed surahs.
- Alif.Laam.Meem is a set of Quranic initials, which is a sign of the wise scripture, a guidance and a mercy for the good-doers. The word, til’ka in singular feminine form meaning “this” refers to a set instead of individual Arabic letters indicating a special role in the scripture being feminine form.
- God has defined our ways to become successful with Him – (1) observing Salat, (2) giving Zakat, (3) ascertaining the Hereafter and (4) following His guidance.
- Those who followed baseless Hadiths disregarding God’s revelations behaving like a deaf will be losers and suffer a painful punishment in the Hereafter.
- God has promised for those who believed and have done the righteous deed are gardens of the bliss wherein they will be abiding forever.
- The righteous can reflect to what God has created while the wrongdoers being astray cannot reflect.
- Luqman was given wisdom letting him know that whoever is grateful to God is grateful for himself, and he became grateful to God and advised his son not to associate partners with God as the association of partners with Him is a great injustice.
- God has commanded human being to honor his parents but to avoid them if they insist him on associating partners with Him.
- Luqman informed his son that God knows which is small and where it is, and to observe Salat, and advocate the right and forbid from the evil, and to speak and walk humbly and lower his voice.
- It is a human tragedy that there are those who follow parents blindly without knowledge or accepting guidance and enlightening scripture, the Satan has invited them to the punishment of the Fire.
- God has given us all His words that we need to praise and pray Him but it is unfortunate that we accept words from other sources to corrupt our praise and prayers insisting us on going to astray.
- The sincere in God’s religion are grateful but those who call other than Him are ungrateful traitors.
- A day is surely coming when father cannot help his son nor can son help his father on that day; thus, believing in intercession is a satanic trick to make us losers.
- No soul knows it will earn tomorrow nor does it know in which land it will die.
In conclusion, the straightforward verses in this sura may help us to be righteous like Luqman who was neither a messenger nor a prophet focusing on association of partners with God is great injustice, following parents blindly is a human tragedy, accepting of Hadiths is misguidance, divine words given in the Quran are enough for us to praise and pray God, concept of intercession is a satanic trick and interpretation of Quranic initials reflecting to Arabic grammar and understanding of their multiple roles.
Peaceful Friday, salaam and God bless.