Each surah consisting of clear verses is made obligatory for us
- A surah we have sent down it, and we have decreed it, and we have sent down in it clear verses, that you may take heed (24:1).
Note: God has defined a surah that each surah is composed of clear verses and He has made obligatory for us to study all of them that we may take heed if we are true believers of Him and the Quran.
Punishment for adultery
- The adulteress and the adulterer that you shall whip each one of them a hundred-lash. And it should not withhold you with them as a pity for God’s religion if you have been to believe in God and the Last Day, and it should witness their punishment a group of the believers (24:2). The adulterer will not marry except an adulteress or an idolatress, and the adulteress will not marry except an adulterer or an idolater. And has been forbidden that for the believers (24:3).
Note: Punishment for adulterer and adulteress is hundred-lash each, which should be witnessed by a group of believers, and they cannot marry the believers, while the adulterer will marry the adulteress or idolatress, and the adulteress will marry the adulterer or the idolater while they have been forbidden for the believers.
Punishment for false accusation
- Those who accuse the chaste women, then they cannot bring four witnesses, then you shall whip them eighty-lash, and you should not ever accept testimony from them, and those – they are the disobedient (24:4). Except those who have repented after that and have reformed. Then indeed, God is Forgiving, Merciful (24:5).
Note: Those who accuse the chaste women but cannot produce four witnesses, their punishment is eighty-lash and the testimony will not be accepted from them as they are the disobedient. But if they repent and reform, God would be forgiving and merciful to them.
Accusation of married women by their husbands
- And those who accuse their spouses and do not have witnesses for them except themselves, then testimony one of them is four testimonies (swearing four times) by God that he is surely, of the truthful ones (24:6). The fifth that God’s curse is upon him if he has been of the liars (24:7). And she would prevent the punishment from her that she bears witness by God four testimonies (swearing by four times) that he is surely, of the liars (24:8). The fifth that God’s wrath upon her if he has been of the truthful ones (24:9). And if not God’s grace upon you and His mercy, and that God is Redeemer, Wise (24:10).
Note: Those who accuse their spouses have to testify by swearing God 4 times to prove and their spouses can prevent it to testify by swearing God 4 times that he is a liar while the fifth oath of him can cause God’s wrath on her.
warning about spreading rumor and false accusation
- Indeed, a group of you those who have come with the lie; do not think it is bad for you, nay, it is good for you. For every person is what he has earned of the sin, while the one who has turned greater of it from them – for him there is a great punishment (24:11). Why not when you have heard it, the believing men and the believing women have thought good of themselves and have said, “This is a clear a lie.” (24:12)? Why not have they come with four witnesses upon it? Then when they cannot bring of the witnesses, then those – they are the liars with God (24:13). If it is not for God’s grace upon you and His mercy in the world and the Hereafter, surely, it would have touched you a great punishment therein for what you have divulged (24:14). When you get it with your tongues and you say with your mouths what has not for you any knowledge of it and you think it is minor while it is gross with God (24:15). And why not when you have heard it, you have said, “It is not for us that we speak of this. Glory to You. This is a great slander.” (24:16). God warns you that you return to like of it ever if you have been believers (24:17). And God makes clear the verses for you, and God is Knower, Wise (24:18). Those who love that spread the immorality among those who have believed, for them there is a painful punishment in the world and the Hereafter. And God knows, while you do not know (24:19). And if not God’s grace upon you and His mercy, and that God is Kind, Merciful (24:20).
Note: God has warned us about spreading rumor and false accusation in the revelations He has made clear. It is a great slander and the believers who have heard it should not repeat it as it is unproven and would be a great insult for the innocent, and those who will do it, for them there is a painful punishment in the world as well as in the Hereafter.
Warning for the believers not to follow steps of the Satan
- O you who have believed, you do not follow steps of the Satan, and whoever follows steps of the Satan, then indeed, he commands with the immorality and the evil. And if not God’s grace upon you and His mercy, anyone has ever purified from among you, but God purifies whomever He wills. And God is Hearer, Knower (24:21). And let not swear possessors of the blessing among you and the abundance that they give the near kin, and the poor, and the immigrants in God’s path. And let them pardon and let them overlook. Do you not like that God would forgive for you? And God is Forgiving, Merciful (24:22). Indeed, those who accuse the chaste women, the unaware believing women have been cursed in the world and the Hereafter, and for them there is a great punishment (24:23). On a day, will bear witness against them of their tongues, and their hands, and their feet for what they have done to accomplish (24:24). That day, God will pay them their due recompense, and they will know that God is the Truth, the Manifest (24:25). The immoral women for the immoral men, and the immoral men for the immoral women; and the good women for the good men, and the good men for the good women – those are innocent of what they say, for them there is forgiveness and a generous provision (24:26).
Note: The Satan makes us immoral and evil if we follow his steps. Thus, those who are blessed and have the abundance, they do not give to their relatives, the poor and the immigrants in the path of God as they do not like to be forgiven by Him. They accuse the chaste believing women being unaware of them while God has cursed them in the world, and in the Hereafter there is a great punishment for them, and a day when their tongues, hands and feet will witness against them and He will pay them their due recompense. However, the immoral men for the immoral women and the good men for the good women while those who are innocent, there is forgiveness and a generous provision.
Permission needed for entering homes of other believers
- O you who have believed, you do not enter homes other than your homes until you ask permission and you greet of their inhabitants. That is better for you that you may pay attention (24:27). Then if you do not find anyone in them that you do not enter them until permission is given to you. And if it has been told to you, “Go back,” then you shall go back, it is purer for you. God is Knower of what you do (24:28). It has not been any blame upon you that you enter homes not inhabited, in them, there is a provision for you. And God knows what you declare and what you conceal (24:29).
Note: God has forbidden to enter anyone house without permission as well as not being greeted.
Guarding chastity is a major trait for both believing men and women
- Say to the believing men they should lower their stare and should guard their chastity. That is purer for them. Indeed, God is Cognizant of what they do (24:30). And say to the believing women they should lower their stare and should guard their chastity, and should not display their body except what is apparent from it. They should place their covers over their bosoms, and should not display their body except to their husbands, or their fathers, or fathers of their husbands, or their sons, or sons of their husbands, or their brothers, or sons of their brothers, sons of their sisters, or their women, or their male servants or the attendants from the men who have no sexual desire, or the children who do not have knowledge of the women’s matters. And they should not strike with their feet that it is made known what they conceal of their body. And you shall turn to God together O you the believers that you may succeed (24:31).
Note: God has warned both the believing men and the believing women about unlawful sexual relation being an evil behavior and a gross sin. Thus, both men and women must guard their chastity while the women will cover their body except what should remain open. The young women will cover their bosom except in the presence of their close relatives, other women and male servants or attendants who have no sexual desire, and their movement should not display what they conceal of their body.
Encourage marriage but discourage to put girls to prostitution
- And among you the single shall marry, and the righteous from the male and the female slaves. if they may be poor, God may enrich them from His bounty. And God is Bounteous, Knower (24:32). And should be chaste those who do not find marriage until God enriches them from His bounty. Those who seek the obligation (marriage) from whom of your slaves, you shall give them obligation, if you have learned in them any good, and you shall give them from God’s wealth, which He has given you. And you should not compel your girls to the prostitution if they have desired chastity that you may seek temporary gain of the life of the world. And whoever compels them, then indeed, God after their compulsion is Forgiving, Merciful (24:33). And certainly, we have sent down to you clear verses, and an example of those who have passed away before yourselves, and an admonition for the righteous (24:34).
Note: God has ordered the believers to marry, even from the believing male and female slaves for those who cannot afford the free men and women while those who are poor God may enrich them from His bounty. Prostitution is forbidden but the younger women who have been compelled to the prostitution if they repent and reform, God will forgive them, is in the clear revelations from Him, and this has come down to us from the past.
Allegorical description of God
- God is a light of the heavens and the earth. An allegory of His light is like a concave mirror within it is a lamp. The lamp is in a glass. The glass as if it is a bright star, is lit from a blessed oil producing tree, is neither eastern nor western. Its oil would glow even if fire does not touch it. Light upon light. God guides to His light whomever He wills. And God cites the parables for the people and God is Knower of everything (24:35).
Note: We do not see God but we do know He does exist while He has introduced Himself to us that we do not deprive ourselves of His light and guidance.
Compensation for the believers and the disbelievers
- In houses, God has ordered that His name to be raised and mentioned in them. Glorifies for Him in them in the mornings and the evenings (24:36). There are people, neither business nor trade distracts them from remembering God, and establishing the salat prayer, and giving the zakat – they fear a day therein the hearts and the sight will overturn (24:37). That God will reward them best for what they had done, and will increase them from His bounty. And God provides for whomever He wills without reckoning (24:38). And those who have disbelieved, their deeds are like a mirage in a desert. The thirsty person thinks it water until when he has come to it; he does not find it a thing, while he finds God with him that He has paid him as his reckoning. And God is swift of the reckoning (24:39). Or like a darkness in a deep sea, wave covers him upon waves upon waves, a cloud, darkness upon darkness, when he stretched forth his hand barely he can see it. And whomever God does not make a light for him, then there is no light for him (24:40).
Note: God expects His remembrance in every house of the believers through observing salat and giving zakat as they should fear Him and He would reward them without reckoning, while those who have disbelieved, their deeds are mirage in a desert or like a darkness in a deep sea for whomever God does not make any light for them.
Final return to God for whoever in the heavens and the earth
- Do you not see that is God for Him glorify whoever in the heavens and the earth, and the birds outspreading wings? Each one certainly, knows its prayer and its glorification. And God is Knower of what they do (24:41). And to God is dominion of the heavens and the earth, and to God is the final return (24:42).
Note: Every one glorifies God as the final return to Him for whoever in the heavens and the earth while we may not understand the glorification of other creatures.
God’s signs are in His creations
- Do you not see that God drives clouds, then gathers them together, then makes them a mass, so you see the rain comes forth from their midst? And He sends down from the sky, from mountains within it of hail, so He strikes with it whomever He wills and diverts it from whomever He wills. A flash of its lightning almost takes away of the sight (24:43). God alternates the night and the day. Indeed, in that surely, there is a lesson for possessors of the vision (24:44). And God has created every living creature from water. So, of them some walks on its belly, and of them some walks on two legs, and of them some walks on four. God creates whatever He wills. Indeed, God has great power upon all things (24:45).
Note: There are God’s signs in the nature such as falling rain and hail from the masses of clouds, a flash of light that takes away our sight, and alternating of day and night while He has created all living creatures from water, and some of them walk on belly. Some of them walk on two legs and some of them walk on four legs that we cannot not ignore.
God has given us clear revelations to guide us to a straight path
- Certainly, we have sent down clear verses, and God guides whomever He wills to a straight path (24:46). And they say, “We have believed in God and in the messenger, and we have obeyed.” Then a group of them turns away after that, and those are not with the believers (24:47). When they have been invited to God and His messenger to judge between themselves, then a group of them is averse (24:48). And if the truth be with them, they come to him being obedient (24:49). Is there a disease in their hearts or have they doubted or do they fear that God would do unjust upon them and His messenger? Nay, those – they are the wrongdoers (24:50).
Note: God has given us clear revelations that we can guide us to a straight path believing in Him and in the messenger being obedient to the truth while those who are averse having disease in their hearts being afraid of God and His messenger to be unjust to them are the wrongdoers.
The believers fear God and upon the messenger is the clear conveyance
- It has only been saying of the believers when they have been called to God and His messenger to judge between themselves that they say, “We have heard and we have obeyed.” And those – they are the successful ones (24:51). And whoever obeys God and His messenger, and fears God and is conscious of Him, then those – they are the successful ones (24:52). And they have sworn by God their solemn oaths that if you have commanded them that they would go forth. Say, “You do not swear. Obedience is observed. Indeed, God is Cognizant of what you do.” (24:53). Say, “You shall Obey God and shall obey the messenger.” So if they have turned away, then only upon him what has been placed, and upon you what has been placed. And if you obey him, you will be guided. And it is not upon the messenger except the conveyance of the clarifying message (24:54).
Note: The believers only invite to God and His messenger, and they obey God and His messenger, and revere and fear God to be the successful but those who turn away then upon the messenger what has been placed upon him is the clear conveyance.
God has established religion is a security for the believers
- God has promised those who have believed among you and have done the righteous deeds, that He will make them sovereign in the earth, as what He has made sovereign those who were before themselves, and that He will establish for them their religion which He has chosen for them, and that He will change for them after their fear to security to worship Me not to associate anything with Me. And whoever has disbelieved after that, then those – they are the disobedient (24:55). And you shall observe the Contact Prayer (al-salata) and shall give the Obligatory Charity (al-zakata), and shall obey the messenger that you are given mercy (24:56). You do not think that those who have disbelieved are escaping in the earth. And their abode is the Fire, and that has wretched is the return (24:57).
Note: God has established religion for the believers to do the righteous deeds through worshiping Him without associating partners with Him as well as observing the contact prayer and giving the obligatory charity fearing Him is a security for them. They are the obedient as they obey the message while those who have disbelieved are the disobedient and they cannot escape in the earth.
Certain criteria that the believers should meet
- O you who have believed; let ask you permission of those whom has been rightfully yours (attendants) and those who do not reach the puberty at three times – before the Dawn Prayer, and when you put aside garments during the rest time, and after the Night Prayer, are three private times for you. It has not been upon you nor upon them any blame after that mingling among you of yourselves with others. Thus that God makes clear the revelations for you, and God is Knower, Wise (24:58). And when the children among you have reached the puberty, then let ask them permission like that those who have asked permission before themselves. Thus that God makes clear His revelations for you. And God is Knower, Wise (24:59). And those reaching the menopause of the women who do not have desire for marriage, then it has not been any blame upon them that they have their garments without displaying of their body. And that they maintain modesty is better for them. And God is Hearer, Knower (24:60).
Note: Here are certain conditions set by God for the believers: (1) three private times for them, (2) the children who have reached puberty should ask permission, which is from the past has been made clear in His revelations, and (3) there is no blame on the elderly women having their garments without displaying of their body to maintain modesty, which is better for them.
Believers are only those who believe in God and His messenger
- It has not been any blame on the blind, nor has it been any blame on the crippled nor has it been any blame on yourselves that you eat of your homes, or homes of your fathers, or homes of your mothers, or homes of your brothers, or homes of your sisters, or homes of your fathers’ brothers, or homes of your fathers’ sisters, or homes of your mothers’ brothers, or homes of your mothers’ sisters, or what you have possessed its keys, or your friends. It has not been any blame that you eat together or individuals. So when you enter any homes, then you shall greet of yourselves a greeting from God, a good blessing. Thus that God makes clear the revelations for you, that you may understand (24:61). The believers are only those who have believed in God and His messenger, and when they are with him for a group matter, they do not leave until they ask him permission. Indeed, those who ask you permission, those – they believe in God and His messenger. So when they ask you permission for some of their affair, then give permission to whomever of them you will, and ask forgiveness of God for them. Indeed, God is Forgiving, Merciful (24:62). You do not make a call to the messenger between yourselves like a call one of you to other. Certainly, God knows those who slip away among you making excuse. So you should be aware of those who differ from his order lest befalls them a test, or befalls them a painful punishment (24:63).
Note: The believers should ask permission before entering the houses of other believers and should not enter except being greeted, and they can eat in any of their relative houses. They should ask permission of messenger before leaving when they are involved in a group activities, and should not call messenger as they call them among themselves while those who oppose his order may befall a disaster or a painful punishment.
God is Knower of the situation we are in
- No doubt; indeed, to God belongs what is in the heavens and the earth. Certainly, He knows what you are on it. And a day they will be returned to Him, then He will inform them of what they had done. And God is a Knower of everything (24:64).
Note: We cannot be any situation that God is not aware of it while He would inform us what we have done when we meet Him.
- God has defined sura having clear verses to make obligatory for us that we may take heed.
- Punishment for adulterer and adulteress is hundred-lash each, being witnessed by the believers.
- Accusers of the chaste women but cannot produce four witnesses, their punishment is eighty-lash.
- Accusers of their spouses have to testify by swearing God 4 times to prove and their spouses can overwrite testifying by swearing God 4 times but the fifth oath of him can cause God’s wrath on her.
- Rumor and false accusation is a great slander and the believers who heard it should not repeat it.
- Satan has made us immoral and evil diverting from God’s path, even accusing the innocent women.
- God has forbidden to enter anyone house without permission as well as not being greeted.
- Men and women maintain chastity, and women will cover body except what should remain open.
- Younger women will cover their bosom except in presence of their close relatives and attendants,
- God has ordered the believers to marry, even from the believing male and female slaves.
- God will forgive the women who have been compelled to the prostitution if they repent and reform.
- God does exist and He has introduced Himself to us that we do not deprive ourselves of His light.
- God expects His remembrance in every house of the believers observing salat and giving zakat.
- Deeds of disbelievers are like mirage in a desert or a darkness in a deep sea have no light for them.
- Everyone in the heavens and the earth glorifies God being their final return to Him.
- God’s signs in the nature that can be confirmed from falling rain and hail from masses of clouds while He has created all living creatures from water.
- God has given us clear revelations that we can guide us to a straight path being obedient to truth.
- The believers only invite to God and His messenger, and obey God and His messenger to be successful while upon the messenger what has been placed upon him is the clear conveyance.
- God has established religion for the believers to do the righteous deeds through worshiping Him not associating partners as well as observing salat and zakat fearing Him is a security for them.
- The disbelievers and the disobedient may think that they can escape in the earth.
- God has set certain conditions for the believers including their private times for them, the covering of the elderly women to maintain modesty and the children reach puberty should ask permission.
- Believers should ask permission before entering the houses of other believers and should enter being greeted while they can eat in any of their relative houses.
- They should ask permission of messenger before leaving when they are involved in a group activities, while they should not call the messenger as they call them among themselves.
- We cannot be any situation that God is not aware of while He would inform us what we have done.
The review may help to reflect that both men and women must guard chastity, women should cover body except what should leave open, younger women should cover their bosom except in presence of close relatives, rumor and false accusation of sexual misconduct is a great slander, and Satan makes immoral and evil.
Peaceful Friday, salaam and God bless.