Believers are those who follow the Quran
- O you who have believed, you do not place you ahead of God and His messenger, and you shall fear God. Indeed, God is Hearer, Knower (49:1).
Note: The true believers are those who follow God’s Word, the Quran, while the Quran represents God and His messenger. Thus, here is a commandment for the believers to follow the Quran, who fear God, while God is Hearer and Knower.
Believers were supposed to respect Prophet Muhammad
- O you who have believed, you do not raise your voices above the voice of the prophet, nor do you be loud to him in speech like the loudness of one of you to other that it nullifies your deeds while you do not perceive (49:2). Indeed, those who lower their voices to a messenger of God, those of whom God has tested their hearts for the righteousness; for them there is forgiveness and a great reward (49:3). Indeed, those who call you (prophet) from behind the walls, most of them do not understand (49:4). And if they had been patient until you came out to them, certainly, it would be better for them. And God is Forgiving, Merciful (49:5).
Note: Believers were to respect Muhammad at his lifetime referred as a prophet being associated with a scripture, the Quran, and as a messenger having a message, the Quran in the Quran.
God has endeared faith and made hateful disbelief and disobedience to the believers
- O you who have believed, if a wicked person has come to you with any news, then you shall investigate, lest you harm a people in ignorance, then you become regretful over what you have done (49:6). And you shall know that among you is a messenger of God. If he were to obey you in many of the matter, surely, you would be in difficulty; but God has endeared the faith to you and has made it pleasing in your hearts, and has made hateful to you disbelief, and defiance, and disobedience. Those – they are the guided ones (49:7). A grace from God and favor. And God is Knower, Wise (49:8).
Note: Contemporary believers who listen to the messenger are the guided ones, while God being Knower and Wise has endeared the faith to them and has made hateful to them disbelief, defiance and disobedience.
Believers make peace between fellow believers and act to be just
- If two parties of the believers have fought, then you shall make peace between both of them, but if one of them oppresses on the other, then you shall fight which oppresses until it return to God’s command. Then if it returns, then you shall make peace between both of them with the justice, and shall act to be just. Indeed, God loves those who act to be just (49:9). Only the believers are brothers; so you shall make peace between your brothers and shall fear God, that you may be given mercy (49:10).
Note: God will reward the true believers who fear Him and make peace between fellow believers who have engaged themselves in fighting, while they will act to be just.
Believers avoid the evil behaviors to be righteous
- O you who have believed, a people do not ridicule of a people, it may have been that they may be better than them, nor do a women ridicule of a women, it may have been that they may be better than them. And you do not insult yourselves, nor do you call each other by the nicknames. It has been evil is the name of disobedience after the faith. And whoever does not repent, then those – they are the wrongdoers (49:11). O you who have believed, you shall avoid many of the assumption. Certain assumption is sin. You do not spy, nor do you backbite one of you after other; would you like to eat a flesh of your dead brother. That you would have hated it, and you shall fear God. Indeed, God is Redeeming, Merciful (49:12). O mankind; indeed, we have created you from a male and a female, and we have made you nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Indeed, a best of you with God is a righteous of you. Indeed, God is Knower, Cognizant (49:13).
Note: The believers will avoid the evil deeds to be a best as a righteous to God like ridiculing of other people, calling people by their nicknames, any assumptions, spying on other people, backbiting not to eat meat of their dead brothers and making difference between men and women,
God has advised the Arabs to be believers in God and His messenger
- The Arabs said, “We have believed.” Do not say you believe; but say we have submitted, and the faith does not yet enter into your hearts. But if you obey God and His messenger, He will not deprive you from anything of your deeds. Indeed, God is Forgiving, Merciful (49:14). The believers are only those who have believed in God and His messenger, then they do not doubt, and have strived with their wealth and their lives in a path of God. Those – they are the truthful ones (49:15).
Note: The Arabs who have believed in God and His messenger should not claim themselves believers until their belief has entered their hearts and they have strived in a path of God with their wealth and lives.
God guides the believers to His religion and the faith
- Say, “Will you teach God about your religion, while God knows what is in the heavens and what is in the earth? And God is Knower of everything.” (49:16). They consider a favor upon you (Muhammad) that they have submitted. Say, “You do not consider your submission a favor upon me (Muhammad). Nay (no doubt) God confers a favor upon you that He has guided you to the faith, if you have been truthful.” (49:17). Indeed, God knows the unseen of the heavens and the earth, and God is Seer of what you do. (49:18).
Note: God has established religion for humans and He guides the believers to the faith, who have submitted to Him.
Surah al-hujuraat (Surah 49: The Walls) is a later revelation and a short surah consisting of 18 verses addressing the Arabs how they can be believers. God has clearly defined that the believers are those who have believed in God and His messenger and have strived in a path of God with their wealth and lives, while they will avoid the evil deeds to be a best as a righteous to God. In Surah, there is a clear indication of striving in a path of God: Muslim –> Mu’min –> Muttaqin –> Saalihin for the believers.
Peaceful Friday, salaam and God bless.