Reflection to initiation and reproduction of humans to fear God
- O people, you shall fear your Lord, the One who has created you from one soul and has created from it its mate, and has spread from both of them many men and women. And you shall fear God whom you ask about it and the relations. Indeed, God has been a Watcher over you (4:1).
Note: God has created a soul, from which He has made both male and female to reproduce that we may reflect to worship Him without associating partner(s) with Him, while we may also reflect that a soul in Arabic is nafsin, which is a singular feminine gender according to Arabic grammar.
A man may marry up to 4 women to be fair with orphans
- And you shall give the orphans their wealth and you do not exchange the bad with the good, and you do not consume their wealth with your wealth. Indeed, it has been a great sin (4:2). And if you have feared that you cannot be just with the orphans, then you shall marry what has deemed fit for you from the women – two, and three, and four; while if you have feared that you cannot do just, then one, or what has possessed your right hands. That is best that you do not do injustice (4:3).
Note: Even in order to protecting orphans a man cannot marry more than one woman if he fears that he cannot be just to all of them and it is better for him to be pleased with only one while illicit consuming orphan’s wealth is a great sin.
A commandment for settlement of dowry in the marriage
- And you shall give the women their befitting dowries. Then if they have remitted for you anything of its portion in willingness, then you shall consume it with ease as righteous (4:4).
Note: Settlement of dowry for the women in a befitting manner in the marriage has been made obligatory but it is not unlawful if the women remit any portion of it when the men have to pay it for falling the couple into an unusual situation.
A commandment of testing orphans before delivering wealth to them
- And you do not give the immature your wealth, which God has made a means of support for you and shall provide for them with it and shall clothe them, and shall speak to them speaking being kind (4:5). And you shall test the orphans until when they have reached the marriage age, then if you have found in them sound judgment, then you shall deliver their wealth to them, and you do not consume it being extravagant and in hastening that they will grow up. And whoever has been rich he should refrain, but whoever has been poor should consume in a fair manner. Then when you have delivered their wealth to them, then you shall have witnesses on them. And there has sufficed with God as a Reckoner (4:6).
Note: Those who are responsible for taking care of the orphan’s wealth should hand over it having witnesses when they have become adult while the caretaker can consume a portion of orphan’s wealth in a fair manner if he is poor.
Distribution of inheritance
- For the men there is a portion of what has left the parents and the near relatives, and for the women there is a portion of what has left the parents and the near relatives from what has been little of it or much – an obligatory portion (4:7). And at time of the distribution, if there has been present the near relatives, the orphans, and the poor , then you shall give them from it and shall speak to them speaking being kind (4:8). And it should fear of those who, if they had left weak children behind them, they would have feared of them. So they should fear God and they should speak an appropriate speaking (4:9).
Note: Like men there is a share for the women what has left the parents and the near relatives.
Those who consume orphan’s wealth unjustly will burn in Hell
- Indeed, those who consume the orphans’ wealth unjustly, indeed, they consume fire into their bellies, and they will burn in Blazing fire (4:10).
Note: Unjust consuming of orphan’s wealth will not go unpunished.
Women’s portion is half of men according to inheritance law
- God directs you about your children – for the male is like a share of the two females. But if there has been only women of more than two, for them are two-thirds of what he has left. And if there has been only one, then for her is the one-half. And for his parents for each of them is the one-sixth of what he has left, if there has been a child for him. But if there would not be any child for him and has inherited him his parents, then for his mother is the one-third. But if there has been siblings for him, then for his mother is the one-sixth after any will he makes with it or any debt. Your parents and your children – you do not know which of them is nearer to you in benefit. That is an obligation from God; indeed, God has been Knower, Wise (4:11). And for you is one- half of what has left your wives, if there would not be any child for them. But if there has been a child for them, then for you is the one-fourth of what they have left after any will they make with it or any debt. And for them is the one-fourth of what you have left, if there would not be any child for you. But if there has been a child for you, then for them is the one-eighth of what you have left after you make a will with it or any debt. And if there has been a man is inherited no parent or child or a woman, and for him there is brother or sister, then for each one of the two is the one-sixth. But if they have been more than that, then they are partners is the one-third after any will is made with it, or any debt without being harmful, is a will from God, and God is Knower, Clement (4:12).
Note: God has detailed out the inheritance law when no will has been left behind and in the inheritance law for the male is like a share of the two females.
Obey God and His messenger vs disobey God and His messenger
- That is of God’s limits, and whoever obeys God and His messenger, He will admit him into Gardens, flowing the rivers of their underneath, are dwellers in them, and that is the greatest triumph (4:13). And whoever disobeys God and His messenger, and exceeds His limits, He will admit him into Fire, is a dweller in it, and for him there is a humiliating punishment (4:14).
Note: Those who have obeyed God and His messenger will admit into gardens while those who have disobeyed God and His messenger will burn in Hell.
Punishment for adulterer and adulteress
- And those who commit the adultery among your women, then you shall call to witness four among you against them; then if they have borne witness, then you shall confine them in their houses until the death comes to them, or God makes a way for them (4:15). And those two who commit it among you, then you shall punish both of them. But if they both have repented and have reformed, then you shall turn away from both of them. Indeed, God has been Forgiving, Merciful (4:16).
Note: Punishment for proven adultery is the social isolation, while both of them shall be punished but if they both repent and reform, then you should turn away from them as God is Forgiving and Merciful.
God is an Acceptor of repentance
- An acceptance of the repentance only upon God is for those who do the evil in ignorance, then they repent soon after. Then those for them God will forgive, and God has been Knower, Wise (4:17). And it has not been acceptance of the repentance for those who do the evil deeds until when the death has approached to one of them, he said, “Indeed, I have repented now,” nor for those who die while they are disbelievers. Those for them we have prepared a painful retribution (4:18).
Note: God accepts repentance of those who have committed the evil in ignorance but have repented soon after while there is no acceptance of repentance for those who approached to the death.
Commandment to live with the women with kindness
- O you who have believed, it is not lawful for you that you inherit the women by force, nor do you constraint them that you may take of a part what you have given them except that they commit of a proven adultery, and you shall live with them with the kindness. But if you have disliked them, then you might have done that you may dislike a thing while God has placed a lot of good in it (4:19).
Note: It is not lawful for the men to treat the women to be an inherited property except they have committed a proven adultery while you should live with them with due respect and kindness even if you may not like something about them.
Not permitted to take away anything from the wife being replaced
- And if you have intended replacing a wife in place of a wife, and you have given one of them a lot, then you do not take away anything from it. Would you take it by a slander and a clear sin? (4:20). And how could you take it, while certainly, one of you has gone to another, and they had taken from you a solemn pledge? (4:21).
Note: It is not unlawful to replace a wife but what would be an evil behavior and a clear sin if the husband takes away anything from the wife being replaced as they have gone through intimacy getting together with a solemn pledge.
Women with whom marriage have been forbidden
- And you do not marry whom has married to your fathers of the women except what has passed before; indeed, it has been an adultery, and hatred, and an evil way (4:22). Forbidden for you are your mothers, and your daughters, and your sisters, and sisters of your fathers, and sisters of your mothers, and your brother’s daughters, and your sister’s daughters, and your mothers from the nursing who have nursed you and your sisters, and mothers of your wives, and step daughters who are in your guardianship of your women whom you had relations with them, but if you had no relations with them, then there is no sin upon you, and wives of your sons, those who are from your loins, and that you join between two sisters except what has passed before. Indeed, God has been Forgiving, Merciful (4:23). And the married ones of the women except whom has possessed your right hands. It is God’s decree upon you. And has been made lawful for you what is beyond that: that you may seek with your wealth to be chaste not being lustful. So, whoever you have chosen from them with it, then you shall give them their dowry as an obligation. And there is no sin upon you concerning what you have mutually agreed of it after the obligation. Indeed, God has been Knower, Wise (4:24).
Note: The men can marry any women giving them the obligatory dowry (bridal reward) mutually agreed on any settlement except the categories of the women as specified including the married ones with whom marriage has been forbidden with an exception of the category possessed by them being the married women who had fled from the disbelieving husbands during the war. It is noteworthy that under the Arabic phrase, maa malakat aymaanukum (what has possessed your right hands) refers to a wide categories of people – male and female servants, slaves, dependents including the women married to the disbelievers who had fled from their husbands during the war.
God has encouraged to get married to avoid the committing sin
- And whoever among you does not have abundance that he can marry the believing free women, then from what has possessed your right hands of your slave girls among the believers. And God knows best about your faith – one of you to other. So you shall marry them with permission of their family and shall give them their bridal reward (dowry) in a fair manner. They are chaste not being the adulteresses, nor having secret lovers. Then when they have been married, then if they have committed of adultery, then for them is half of the punishment what is for the free chaste women. That is for whoever has feared the committing sin among you, and that you be patient is better for you. And God is Forgiving, Merciful (4:25).
Note: God has encouraged the men to get married the believing chaste women but if they cannot afford the free believing chaste women should marry the slave believing chaste women from what has possessed their right hands giving bridal reward to them as well as having permission of their family while if they have committed adultery, their punishment is half of what is for the free believing women, i.e., 50-lash; and marriage is better for those who fear the committing sin.
God has made clear to guide us to the ways
- God wishes that He makes clear for you and guides you ways of those of your before and accepts repentance from you. And God is Knower, Wise (4:26). And God wishes that He accepts repentance from you, while He wishes those who follow the lusts that you deviate to a great deviation (4:27). God wishes that He lightens from you, while the human being has been created weak. (4:28).
Note: God has made the ways clear to the humans even accepting their repentance as they have been weak by nature.
A great reward from God who can avoid gross sins
- O you who have believed, you do not consume your wealth between yourselves being unjust except that there be a business on mutual consent among you, nor do you kill yourselves. Indeed, God has have mercy on you (4:29). And whoever does that is in enmity and injustice, then we will cast him into a Fire. It has been that for God is easy (4:30). If you avoid gross sins of what you are forbidden from it, we will remove from you your evil deeds and will admit you an honorable admittance (4:31).
Note: Consuming orphan’s wealth and committing suicide are gross sins and those who cannot avoid them will be cast into Hell but those who can avoid these will be admitted to an honorable admittance being removed from the evil deeds.
There is no guardianship between men and women
- And you do not covet what God has bestowed with it one of you over other. For the men there is a share of what they have earned, and for the women there is a share of what they have earned. And you shall ask God from His bounty. Indeed, God has been Knower of everything (4:32).
Note: Both men and women have been given their share while they may ask from God’s bounty.
Men and women are heirs of what has left the parents and relatives
- And for each, we have made heirs of what has left the parents and the relatives. And those whom has pledged your right hands, then you shall give them their share. Indeed, God has been a Witnesses over everything (4:33).
Note: God has ensured the share of both men and women what has left the parents and the relatives behind even for those who have been pledged by them.
Resolution of disputes in the institution of marriage
- The men are supporters of the women for what God has bestowed one of them over other and for what they spend from their wealth. The righteous women are obedient being protectors in the unseen to that which God has protected. And those whom you fear their ill behavior, then you shall advise them, and shall desert them in the bed, and shall ignore them. But if they have obeyed you, then you do not seek a way against them. Indeed, God has been High, Great (4:34). And if you have feared separation between the two of them, then you shall appoint an arbitrator from his family and an arbitrator from her family. If they both wish reconciliation, God will cause reconciliation between themselves. Indeed, God has been Knower, Cognizant (4:35).
Note: Marriage is an institution and any dispute, which is very natural can be resolved by following the steps given by God to Whom pledge has been made to be a couple. There is no indication of any physical force in the institution except misinterpretation.
Worshipping God without associating partner(s) with Him
- And you shall worship God, and you do not associate anything with Him, while being good with the parents, and with the relatives and the orphans and the poor and the related neighbor and the unrelated neighbor and the close associate and the traveler and what has possessed your right hands. Indeed, God does not love whoever has been a boastful proud (4:36).
Note: Here is a crucial commandment from God for us to worship Him without associating partner(s) being good to the parents and others as well.
Punishment for those who have not spent from God’s provision
- Those who are stingy and order the people of the stinginess, and conceal what God has given them from His bounty. And we have prepared a humiliating punishment for the disbelievers (4:37). And those who spend their wealth showing off the people, while they do not believe in God nor in the Last Day, and whoever be the Satan as companion for him, then he has an evil companion (4:38). And what is against them if they had believed in God and the Last Day, and had given from what God has provided them? And God has been Knower of them (4:39). Indeed, God does not wrong an atom’s weight. And if there be a good, He doubles it and gives a great reward from His end (4:40). So how would it be when we have brought from every community with a witness, and we have brought a witness with you upon these people (4:41). That day, will wish those who have disbelieved and have disobeyed the messenger if the earth were leveled with them, while they will not able to hide any statement from God (4:42).
Note: Those who are stingy and spend their wealth showing offs the people are the disbelievers in God and the Last, and God has prepared for them a humiliating punishment while He will not wrong an atom’s weight to them except bringing witnesses from every community to confirm their wrongdoing; and that day those who disbelieved and disobeyed the messenger could not hide any statement from God and would wish to be leveled with the earth.
Observing salat meeting the preconditions
- O you who have believed, you do not go near the Contact Prayer (al-salata)while you are in intoxication until you know what you are saying; nor you are impure until you take bath except passing a road. And if you have been ill or on a journey, or one of you had come from the toilet, or you have touched the women, then you do not find water, you shall do dry ablution with clean soil, then shall wipe your faces and your hands. Indeed, God has been Pardoning, Forgiving (4:43).
Note: God has imposed certain preconditions to meet before observing the salat prayer and has given us options to meet them that we do not miss any salat prayer.
Jews and Christians are to follow Quran avoiding their evil behavior
- Do you not look at those who have been given a part of the scripture, purchasing the error as well as wishing that you stray off the path? (4:44). And God knows best of your enemies and God has sufficed as Protector and God has sufficed as Supporter (4:45). Of those who have turned to Jews, they distort the word from its places and they say, “We have heard and we have disobeyed,” and you shall hear not to be a hearer and you shall see twisting with their tongues and defaming in the religion. And if that they had said, “We have heard and we have obeyed, you shall hear and shall look at us;” surely, it would have been better for them and straight. But God has cursed them at their disbelief. So, they do not believe except a few (4:46). O you who have been given the scripture, you shall believe in what we have revealed confirming what is with you from before that we efface faces, then we turn them on their backs, or we curse them like we had cursed companions of the Sabbath. And it has been God’s command is executed (4:47).
Note: God has ordered the Jews and Christians to follow what has been revealed confirming what was given to them avoiding their evil behavior.
Associating partner(s) with God is a horrendous sin
- Indeed, God does not forgive that partner is associated with Him, while He forgives whatever other than that for whomever He wills. And whoever associates partners with God, then certainly, he has fabricated a horrendous sin (4:48).
Note: God has warned us that if our beliefs and practices are corrupted with associating partners with Him, we commit a horrendous crime and there is no forgiveness for it while He may forgive other sins whatever He wills.
God’s curse with the disbelievers of scripture given to Muhammad
- Do you not see to those who claim purity for themselves? Nay, it is God who purifies whomever He wills, and they will not be wronged as much as a hair on a date seed (4:49). You shall see how they invent the falsehood about God and have sufficed a clear sin with it (4:50). Do you not see to those who have been given a part of the scripture? They believe in the superstition and the false deities and say to those who have disbelieved, “These have better guidance than those who have believed a (right) way (4:51). Those are the ones God has cursed, and whomever God curses, then you will not find for him any helper (4:52). Or for them is there a share of the Kingdom? Then they would not give the people as much as a speck on a date seed (4:53). Or do they envy the people for what God has given them from His bounty? Certainly, we have given Abraham’s family the scripture and the wisdom, and we have given them a great kingdom (4:54). And of them whoever has believed in it, and of them whoever has turned away from it, and has sufficed with Hell as a Blazing Fire (4:55).
Note: God has confirmed the scripture being a source of knowledge and wisdom, and a means to purify as well as to avoid invented falsehood. Thus, God has cursed those who have believed in the superstition and the false deities including the people of the previous scripture disregarding a complete scripture given for mankind revealed through Muhammad.
Compensation of the disbelievers and the believers
- Indeed, those who have disbelieved in our revelations, we will burn them in a Fire. Every time has roasted their skins, we have changed them skins other than that so that they can taste the punishment. Indeed, God has been Almighty, Wise (4:56). And those who have believed and have done the righteous deeds, we will admit them into gardens flowing the rivers of their underneath, are abiding in them forever. For them there are purified spouses in them, and we will admit them into a luxuriant shade (4:57).
Note: Those who have disbelieved in God’s revelations will burn in Hell and every time their skins get roasted will be changed to taste eternal punishment while the believers who have believed in His revelations and have done the righteous deeds will be in gardens accompanied with purified spouses.
God has ordered us to be trustworthy and just
- Indeed, God orders you that you give back the trusts to their owners, and when you judge between the people that you judge with the justice. Indeed, God has been excellent to advise you with it. indeed, God has been Hearer, Seer. (4:58).
Note: God has advised us to be trustworthy in giving back to their owners with what they have been entrusted and to judge between the people with the justice.
The knowledgeable about the message can give right resolution
- O you who have believed, you shall obey God and shall obey the messenger, and possessors of the authority from you. When if you have disputed in anything, then you shall refer it to God and the messenger, if you have committed to believe in God and the Last Day. That is good, even better for resolution (4:59).
Note: Those who have read the message critically have the authority to give correct resolution in case of any disputes based on appropriate interpretation upon whom the believers should rely.
The hypocrites are those: what they said is not in their hearts
- Do you not see to those who claim that they have believed in what has been revealed to you (Muhammad), and what has been revealed before yourself (what is with him)? They wish that they seek judgment to the false deity, while certainly, they have been commanded that they disbelieve in it; and the Satan wishes that he will mislead them far astray (4:60). And when it has been said to them, “Come to what God has revealed and to the messenger,” you have seen the hypocrites turn away from you (Muhammad) in aversion (4:61). How will it be when a disaster befalls them for what has sent forth with their hands? Then they will come to you swearing by God: “We have not intended except good and reconciliation.” (4:62). Those are the ones God knows what is in their hearts. So you shall turn away from them and shall admonish them and shall say to them saying about enlightening of their souls (4:63).
Note: The hypocrites may claim that they have believed like what the believers have believed but when they are invited to learn from the message, they had turned away from it. So, the prophet has been ordered to turn away from them but to advise them to enlighten their souls that they may avoid their evil behavior.
Messenger is sent to be obeyed to be guided to a straight path
- And we have not sent any messenger except that he would be obeyed by God’s permission. And if that of them when they have wronged themselves, have come to you, then they have asked forgiveness of God and has asked forgiveness for them the messenger; surely, they would have found God Redeemer, Merciful (4:64). Then nay, by your Lord; they will not believe until they make you judge about what has arisen between them, then they will find no discomfort in themselves for what you have decided, and they submit a total submission (4:65). And if that we had decreed for them that you shall kill yourselves or shall leave your homes, they would have not done it, except a few of them. And if that they had done what they were commanded with it, surely, it would have been better for them and strength for strengthening (4:66). And then we would have given them from ourselves a great reward (4:67). And we would have guided them to a straight path (4:68).
Note: The message sent to the messenger to be obeyed and to ask forgiveness of God, and those who came to the messenger and asked forgiveness of God, then the messenger should ask forgiveness for them to God while God has been Forgiving, Merciful. Those who had killed themselves in the path of God leaving their homes would have better reward from their Lord.
Prophets, saints, martyrs and righteous is a best community
- And whoever obeys God and the messenger, then those will be with those whom God has bestowed favor upon them of the prophets, and the truthful, and the martyrs, and the righteous; and of those has been excellent companion (4:69). That is the bounty from God, and has sufficed with God, a Knower (4:70).
Note: God has sufficed a best community of people from the prophets, the saints, the martyrs, and the righteous, who deserve the bounty from Him.
Whoever fights in the way of God deserves a great reward
- O you who have believed, you shall take your precautions, then shall advance in groups, or shall advance all together (4:71). And indeed, whoever among you lags behind, then a disaster befalls you, he said, “God has bestowed favor upon me when I was not present with them.” (4:72). And certainly, if a bounty befalls you from God, he would certainly say, as if there is no love between you and him, “Oh, I wish I had been with them, then I would attain a great success.” (4:73). So let him fight in the way of God of those who sell the life of the world for the Hereafter. And whoever fights in the path of God, then he is killed, or attains victory, then we will grant him a great reward (4:74).
Note: Those who fight in the way of God until victory or get killed deserve a great reward with Him. Thus, He wants His believers to sell their lives for the Hereafter instead of staying behind to avoid fighting decreed for them.
Fighting is decreed for the believers to test whether they fear God
- And what is for you that you do not fight in the path of God, while those who are weak among the men, and the women, and the children – those who say: “Our Lord, take us out of this community from the oppressor of its people, and appoint for us from Yourself a protector, and appoint for us from Yourself a helper.” (4:75). Those who have believed fight in the path of God, while those who disbelieved fight in the path of the false deities. So, you shall fight the Satan’s allies; indeed, the Satan’s plan has been week (4:76). Have you not seen to those who, it has been told, “You shall restrain your hands and shall observe the Contact Prayer (al-salata) and shall give the Obligatory Charity (al-zakata),” then when fighting has been decreed for them, a group of them fear the people as they fear God or greater fear, and they said, “Our Lord, why have You decreed the fighting for us? Why You have not postponed for us to a near term!” Say, “Enjoyment of the world is little, while the Hereafter is far better for whoever has feared, and you will not be wronged as much as a hair on a date seed.” (4:77). Wherever you would be, the death overtakes you, even if you have been in high-rise towers. And if any good befalls them, they say, “This is from God,” while if any bad befalls them, they say, “This is from you”. Say, “All is from God.” What is for these people that they seem not to understand a statement? (4:78).
Note: Fighting is decreed for the believers in the path of God excluding the privilege group to strengthen their hearts. The believers fight in the path of God to have Him to be their Protector while the disbelievers flight in the path of the false deities being allies of the Satan. The believers who referred to the salat prayer and paying the zakah as the priority to escape fighting had feared the people while there is a warning for them that the death overtakes you, even if you have in high-rise buildings.
What has been sent down to Muhammad is a messenger for mankind
- Whatever of good has befallen you (Muhammad) is from God, and whatever of evil has befallen you is from yourself. And we have sent you (Muhammad) a messenger for mankind; and it has sufficed with God as a Witness (4:79). Whoever obeys the messenger, then certainly, he has obeyed God, and whoever has turned away (from it), then we have not sent you (Muhammad) a guardian over them (4:80). And they say, “Obedience”, then when they leave from you, has planned by night a group of them other than that which you say, while God records what they plan by night. So you shall turn away from them and shall put trust upon God. And has sufficed by God as an Advocate (4:81).
Note: To whom God has sent a message is a messenger and the message as a messenger is referred in many instances to explain His message to better understand it. Thus, the message, the messenger to be obeyed and the human messenger will turn away from those who have turned from the message while he has not been guardian over the people and any commitment of contemporaries made to him is to be obeyed as well as believers of the message.
Careful study of Quran can only give correct interpretation of any matter
- Do they not then study the Quran carefully? If it had been from other than God, surely, they would have found in it many contradictions (4:82). And when has come to them a matter of the security or the fear, they spread with it. And if they had referred it to the messenger and to those of the authority among them, surely, would have known it to those among them who can give correct interpretation of it. And if it were not God’s grace upon you and His mercy, surely, you would have followed the Satan, except a few (4:83).
Note: When any dispute arises about any matter among the believers, the Quran has its resolution, and those who have studied the Quran thoroughly have the authority to give correct interpretation while it is God’s grace and His mercy upon us otherwise we would follow the Satan except a few.
Everyone is responsible for his own soul
- So, you shall fight in the cause of God; you are not burdened except yourself, and you shall encourage the believers, it has been that God will restrain might of those who have disbelieved, while God is stronger in might and stronger in punishment (4:84). Whoever intercedes a good intercession will have for him a share of it, and whoever intercedes an evil intercession will have for him a share of it. And God has been a Guardian over all things (4:85). And when you have been greeted with a greeting, then you shall greet with better than it or shall return it. Indeed, God has been a Reckoner over all things (4:86). God: there is no god except He; surely, He will gather you on to a Day of the Resurrection: there is no about it. And who is more truthful than God’s statement? (4:87).
Note: God has made us responsible of our own souls and has commanded us to fight in His path to strengthen our hearts as well as mediating good among ourselves establishing in our hearts that there is god except He reflecting to that He will gather us all on a day of the Resurrection.
God has ordered to kill the disbelievers who are engaged in fighting
- So what is for you over the hypocrites of two parties? While God has cast them for what they have earned. Do you wish that you can guide whomever God has sent astray? Whomever God sends astray, then you will never find for him a way (4:88). They have wished if you disbelieve as they have disbelieved, then you would be alike. So you do not take allies from them, until they emigrate in a way of God. Then if they have turned back (during war), then you shall seize them and shall kill them wherever you have found them. And you do not take any ally from them, nor a helper (4:89). Except those who join to a people between you and them there is a treaty, or they have come to you has restrained their hearts that they will fight you, or they will fight their people. And if God had willed, surely, He would have given them power over you, then surely, they would have fought you. So if they have withdrawn from you, then they do not fight you and have offered to you the peace, then God has made no way for you (to fight) against them (4:90). You will find others wishing that they be secure from you and be secure from their people. Every time that they are returned to the test, they are plunged into it. So if they do not withdraw from you, and offer the peace to you, and restrain their hands, then you shall seize them and shall kill them wherever you have found them. And those – we have made for you against them a clear authority (4:91).
Note: God has cast the hypocrites for what they have done and none can guide him whomever He has sent astray. As a war rule, God has given the authority to the believers to seize and kill the disbelievers who are fighting the believers except those who have restrained their hands or have offered the peace treaty to the believers.
Killing a person is a gross sin
- And it has not been for a believer that he will kill a believer except it is a mistake. And whoever has killed a believer by mistake, then freeing of a believing slave and paying of money to his family, unless they (victim’s family) remit as charity. Even if he has been from a hostile people to you and he was a believer, then freeing of a believing slave; and if he has been from a people between you and them there is a treaty, then paying of money to his family and freeing of a believing slave, while whoever does not find (a slave to free), then fasting for two consecutive months, is a repentance from God, and God has been Knower, Wise (4:92). And whoever kills a believer, is an intention, then his recompense is Hell, is abiding therein forever, and God’s wrath has fallen upon him and He has cursed him and has prepared for him a great punishment (4:93).
Note: Unintentional killing of a believer can be expiated by freeing a slave or by both freeing a slave and paying money to the victim’s family but if a slave is not found, then fasting of two consecutive months, while the abode of an intentional killer of a believer is Hell.
God gives higher ranks to some believers over the others
- O you who have believed, when you have struck in a way of God, then you shall investigate and do not say to whoever has offered to you the peace, “You have not been a believer,” seeking material of the life of the world, as with God there are abundant good things; like that you have done before that you had conferred God’s favor upon you, so you shall investigate. Indeed, God has been Cognizant of what you do (4:94). You do not make equal the sedentary among the believers other than those are the disabled and those who strive in a way of God with their wealth and their lives. God has preferred those who strive with their wealth and their lives over the sedentary in rank. And to each God has promised the best, while God has preferred those who strive with their wealth and their lives over the sedentary with a great reward (4:95). Ranks are from Him as well as forgiveness and mercy. And God has been Forgiving, Merciful (4:96).
Note: God has promised reward for all the believers but He will give higher rank to those who have strived in a way of Him with their money and their lives. Thus, He has encouraged the believers to participate in fighting as well as to spend their money in His path.
The wicked go to Hell at the time of their death
- Indeed, those whom the angels have caused them to death in a state of wrongdoing their souls, they said, “In what have you been?” They said, “We have been oppressed in the earth.” They said, “Would not be God’s earth spacious that you could emigrate in it?” So those have their abode in Hell, and it has been an evil destination (4:97). Except the oppressed among the men, and the women, and the children who could not make a plan, nor could they guide to a way (4:98). So for those, God may have been that He will pardon on them, and God has been Pardoning, Forgiving (4:99). And whoever emigrates in a way of God will find many places of refuge and abundance of bounties in the earth, while whoever leaves of his home as a emigrant to God and His messenger, then the death overtakes him, then certainly, has fallen his reward upon God, while God has been Forgiving, Merciful (4:100).
Note: Whom the angels have caused death in a state of wrongdoing will have their abode in Hell while whoever leaves home as an emigrant and the death overtakes him, his reward is upon God.
Salat prayer at war time and at secure time
- And when you have travelled in the land, then it has not been any blame upon you that you shorten of the Contact Prayer (al-salata), if you have feared that those who have disbelieved may harm you. Indeed, the disbelievers have been an open enemy for you (4:101). And when you (prophet) have been among them, then you have held the Contact Prayer (al-salata) for them, then let a group of them stand with you, then let them take their arms that when they have prostrated, let them be from behind you; and let come forward the other group do not pray, then let them pray with you and let them their precautions and their arms. Those who disbelieved have wished if you neglect of your weapons and your baggage that they can assault upon you in a single attack. And there is no blame upon you if it has been with you any trouble from rain or you have been sick that you lay down your weapons, while you shall take your precautions. Indeed, God has prepared a humiliating punishment for the disbelievers (4:102). Then when you have completed the Contact Prayer (al-salata), then you shall remember God at standing, and sitting, and on your sides. Then when you have been secure, then you shall observe the Contact Prayer (al-salata). Indeed, the Contact Prayer (al-salata) has been a decree upon the believers at specified times (4:103).
Note: During the war time there has been no wrong to shorten the Salat prayer but not at secure time while the salat prayer has been a decree for the believers as scheduled by God Himself.
The believers are not to lose courage in pursuing enemies
- And you do not weaken in pursuing the people. If you suffer, then they will suffer like what you suffer, while you can hope from God what they cannot hope. And God has been Knower, Wise (4:104).
Note: Fighting is decreed for the believers and they will fight the disbelievers until victory without losing their courage.
The scripture has been sent down with the truth to judge among the people
- Indeed, we have sent down to you (Muhammad) the scripture with the truth that you may judge between the people with what God shows you, and you do not be a pleader of the deceitful (4:105). You shall ask forgiveness of God. Indeed, God has been Forgiving, Merciful (4:106). And you do not argue for those who deceive themselves; indeed, God does not love who has been a sinful treacherous (4:107). They may hide from the people, while they cannot hide from God and He is with them when they plot by night what he does not approve of the word. And God has been encompassing of what they do (4:108).
Note: The scripture shows the way to the prophet to judge among the people while the prophet shall ask forgiveness of God and was not a pleader of the deceitful who deceive themselves. They cannot hide anything from God even what they plot by night as He has been encompassing of what they do.
Whoever earns sin he earns it against his soul
- Here you are those who have argued for them in the life of the world; then whoever will argue with God for them on a Day of the Resurrection or who will be an advocate for them (4:109)? And whoever does evil, or wrongs to his soul, then he asks God for forgiveness, will find God Forgiving, Merciful (4:110). And whoever earns sin, then indeed, he earns it against his soul. And God has been Knower, Wise (4:111). And whoever earns a fault or a sin, then he accuses an innocent person with it, then certainly he has burdened with a slander and a clear sin (4:112).
Note: There might have some who would argue for the deceitful in the world but there is none who will argue for them in the Hereafter. God is Forgiving and Merciful for whoever asks His forgiveness when he does evil or wrongs to his soul.
God’s favor upon Muhammad not to be misled by his people
- And if it were not for God’s grace upon you (Muhammad) and His mercy, surely, a group of them had determined to misled you, while they do not mislead except themselves, nor will they harm you in anything. And God has sent down through you the scripture and the wisdom, and has taught you what you do not know. And God’s grace upon you has been great (4:113). There is no good in much of their private talk except whoever has ordered with charity, or kindness, or conciliation between the people. And whoever does that seeking God’s pleasure, then we will give him a great reward (4:114). And whoever opposes the messenger after what has become clear to him of the guidance and follows other than the believers’ way, we will turn him to what he has turned, and we will burn him in Hell, and it has been an evil destination (4:115).
Note: God protected His prophet not to be misled by a group of people who were determined to do that and He sent down to him a scripture with the wisdom and taught him what he did not know while those who oppose the messenger after what has become clear and follows other than the believers’ way will burn in Hell.
The destination of those who have associated partner with God is Hell
- Indeed, God does not forgive that a partner is associated with Him, while He forgives whatever other than that for whomever He wills. And whoever associates partner with God, then he has certainly strayed far astray (4:116). They do not call other than Him except female gods, and they do not call except a rebellious Satan (4:117). God has cursed him (Satan), and he said, “Surely, I (Satan) will take an appointed portion from Your servants (4:118). And surely, I will mislead them, and surely, I will incite them, and surely, I will command them that surely, they will mark ears of livestock, and surely, I will command them that surely, they will change God’s creation.” And whoever takes the Satan as a protector other than God, then certainly, he has lost a great loss (4:119). He promises them and incites them; and the Satan does not promise them except an deception (4:120). Those – their abode is Hell, and they cannot find any escape from it (4:121). And those who have believed and have done the righteous deeds, we will admit them into gardens flowing the rivers of their underneath, are abiding therein forever. God’s promise is truth, and who has truth than God’s word (4:122)?
Note: The destination of those who have associated partner with God is Hell being misled by the Satan being his promise is deception while the destination of those who have believed in God and have done righteous deeds is Paradise, which is a truthful promise from God.
Compensation for whoever does evil and whoever does righteous deeds
- It has not been of your desires nor desires of people of the scripture; whoever does evil will be compensated for it, and he will not find any protector other than God nor any helper (4:123). And whoever does of the righteous deeds from a male or a female, while he is a believer, then those will enter the Paradise and they will not be wronged as speck on a date seed (4:124).
Note: Whoever does evil will be compensated for it and will not find any protector or helper while whoever does righteous deeds whether male or female while he is a believer will enter the Paradise.
Whoever has submitted himself to God has a better religion
- And who has better religion than whoever has submitted himself to God, and he is a good doer and has followed a religion of Abraham – monotheism? And God has taken Abraham as a friend (4:125). And to God belongs what is in the heavens and what is in the earth, and God has been Encompassing of all things (4:126).
Note: He has a better religion whoever has submitted himself to God to Whom belongs what is in the heaven and what is in the earth, is a good good-doer and has followed a religion of Abraham, monotheism.
Commandment of marrying orphan girls giving them due bridal reward
- And they seek to you (Muhammad) about the women. Say, “God informs you about them, and what is recited to you in the scripture about the orphan girls to whom you do not give them what has been decreed for them, while you wish to marry them; and those who are weak of the children, and that you stand for the orphans with the justice. And whatever of good you do, then indeed, God has been Knower of it.” (4:127).
Note: God wants His believers to stand for the orphans with the justice and to give the due bridal reward when they wish to marry the orphan girls.
Reconciliation if a woman fears ill behavior from her husband
- If a woman has feared ill behavior or desertion from her husband, then there is no sin upon them that they (both) reform between themselves for a reconciliation, and the reconciliation is best. The greed of the souls has been swayed. And if you do good and fear, then indeed, God has been Cognizant of what you do (4:128). You can never be best that you can deal with the women, even if you have intended. So, you do not incline to the inclination that you leave her like a hanging one. If you reconcile and fear (God), then indeed, God has been Forgiving, Merciful (4:129). If they separate, God will enrich each from His abundance, and God has been Encompassing all, Wise (4:130).
Note: When a woman fears ill behavior from her husband, then if they reform themselves for a reconciliation is best for them, even if they separate following God given steps as mentioned in the surah earlier when a man fears ill behavior from his wife (4:34-35), God will enrich each from His abundance.
God has commanded us through the scripture to fear Him
- And to God belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth. And certainly, we have enjoined those who have been given the scripture before yourselves and yourselves that you shall fear God; and if you disbelieve, then indeed to God belongs what is in the heavens and what is in the earth. And God has been Rich, Praiseworthy (4:131). And to God belongs what is in the heavens and what is in the earth, and God has sufficed as a Disposer of affairs (4:132). If He wills, He can remove you, O people, and can bring of others; and God has had power over that (4:133). Whoever has done to seek a reward of the world, then with God there is a reward of the world as well as of the Hereafter. And God has been Hearer, Seer (4:134).
Note: To God belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and He is a Disposer of affairs and He has power to replace any generation of people while He gives reward in the world as well as in the Hereafter.
The believers are custodians of the justice as witnesses of God
- O you who have believed, you shall be custodians of the justice being witnesses of God, even if against yourselves, or the parents and the relatives. If he be rich or poor as God is nearer to both of them. So, you do not follow the desire that you deviate. And if you distort or refrain, then indeed, God has been Cognizant of what you do (4:135).
Note: Under no circumstances the believers will bear false witness or will refrain from bearing witness being custodians of the justice as witnesses of God.
Being the believers what they need to believe
- O you who have believed; you shall believe in God, and His messenger, and the scripture which He has revealed through His messenger, and the scripture which He has revealed before. And whoever disbelieves in God, and His angels, and His scriptures, and His messengers, and the Last Day, then certainly, he has strayed a far stray (4:136).
Note: The believers believe in God and His messenger, and the scripture revealed through His messenger while those who disbelieve in God, and His angels, and His scriptures, and His messengers, and the Last Day have gone far astray.
God will gather the disbelievers and the hypocrites in Hell
- Indeed, those who have believed, then have disbelieved, then have believed, then have disbelieved, then have increased disbelief; God will not forgive them, nor will He guide them to a (right) path (4:137). You shall inform the hypocrites of that there is a painful punishment for them (4:138). Those who take the disbelievers as allies other than the believers. Do they seek the honor with them? While all honor belongs to God (4:139). And certainly, in the scripture He has revealed to you that when you heard God’s revelations to reject with them and are ridiculed with them, then you do not sit with them until they engage in a statement other than that. Indeed, you are then like of them. Indeed, God will gather the hypocrites and the disbelievers in Hell all together (4:140). Those who are waiting for you, then if it has been for you a victory from God, they said, “Were we not with you?” And if there has been a chance for the disbelievers, they said, “Did we not take advantage over you and protect you from the believers?” So, God will judge between you a Day of the Resurrection, and God will never make a way (victory) for the disbelievers over the believers (4:141). The hypocrites think to deceive God, while He who deceives them. And when they have established the Contact Prayer (al-salata), they have established with inattentiveness to show off the people while they do not remember God except a little (4:142). Swaying between that, neither to these nor to those. And whomever God sends astray, you will never find a way for him (4:143). you who have believed, you do not take the disbelievers allies other than the believers. Do you wish that you make for God a clear proof against you (4:144)? The hypocrites will be in the lowest depth of the Fire, and you will not find for them any helper (4:145). Except those who have repented, and have reformed, and have held fast to God, and have been sincere in their religion for God, then those are with the believers, and God will give the believers a great reward (4:146). What would God do with your punishment, if you had been grateful and you had believed? And God has been Appreciative, Knower (4:147).
Note: The hypocrites think that they deceive God but they deceive themselves while the disbelievers and the hypocrites all together will be gathered in Hell except those who have repented and reformed and held fast to God being sincere in their religion for Him. when it has been heard God’s revelations to reject and are ridiculed, then the believers should not sit with them until they engage in a statement other than that not to be like of them.
God is Knower of good if it is declared or concealed
- God does not love the public uttering of the evil except whoever has been wronged. And God has been Hearer, Knower (4:148). If you declare a good or you conceal it or pardon on an evil, then God has been Pardoning, Knower (4:149).
Note: The wrongdoers utter evil in public and God is Knower of good if it is declared or concealed or pardoning on an evil.
The disbelievers make distinction between God’s messengers
- Indeed, those who disbelieve in God and His messengers, and they wish that they make distinction between God and His messengers, and they say, “We believe in one and disbelieve in other.” And they wish that they accept a path between that (4:150). Those – they are the true disbelievers, and we have prepared for the disbelievers a humiliating punishment (4:151). And those who have believed in God and His messengers, and they do not make distinction between any of them; those – He will give them their reward. And God has been Forgiving, Merciful (4:152).
Note: God has prepared a humiliating punishment for those who make distinction between God and His messengers while He will give their reward for those who have believed in God and His messengers, and they do not make distinction between any of them.
The Jews have committed horrendous crime
- People of the scripture (Jews) ask you (Muhammad) to bring down to them a book from the sky, while certainly, they had asked Moses greater than that as they said, “Show us God in manifestation.” So, the lightning had struck them because of their wrongdoing. Even they took the calf after what had come to them as the clear proofs. Then we had pardoned about that. And we had given Moses a clear authority (4:153). And we raised the mount above them upon their covenant, while we said to them, “Enter the gate being prostrating,” and we said to them not to transgress in the Sabbath. And we took from them a solemn covenant (4:154). So of that their breaking of their covenant, and their disbelief in God’s revelations, and their killing of the prophets without justice, and of their saying, “Our hearts have wrappings.” Nay, God has sealed on them (hearts) of their disbelief. then they cannot believe, except a few (4:155). And because of their disbelief and their saying about Mary a great slander (4:156).
Note: God has made many favors to the Jews but they have committed horrendous crime by breaking their covenant, disbelieving in God’s revelations, killing of prophets, saying about wrappings of their hearts, and saying about Mary a great slander, while God has sealed their hearts because of disbelief so they do not believe except a few.
The death of Jesus has been confirmed
- And their saying, “indeed, we have killed the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, a messenger of God.” And they have not killed him, nor have they crucified him but it has been made so for them. And indeed, those who have differed in it, are surely in doubt about it. There is no knowledge of it for them except following the assumption, while certainty is they have not killed him (4:157). Nay, God has raised him to Him; and God has been Almighty, Wise (4:158). And there is not from people of the scripture except surely, he should believe in him before his death. And on a Day of the Resurrection, he will be a witness against them (4:159).
Note: The Jews were made to think that they had killed or crucified the Messiah, son of Mary but for sure they had not killed him while God raised him to Him. Everyone from the people of the scripture should believe in him before his death and on a day of the Resurrection he will be a witness against them.
Good things and usury are forbidden for the Jews
- Then because of wrongdoing of those who have been Jews, we have forbidden for them good things, which had been made lawful for them, and because of their hindering many from God’s path (4:160). And their consuming the usury, while certainly they have been forbidden from it, and for consuming the people’s wealth illicitly. And we have prepared for the disbelievers among them a painful punishment (4:161).
Note: God has forbidden for the Jews good things which had been lawful for them because of their wrongdoing and their hindering many from God’s path while they have also been forbidden from consuming the usury being the way for consuming the people’s money illicitly.
The righteous Jews will receive a great reward from God
- But the well founded in the knowledge, and the believers of what has been revealed to you (Muhammad), and what has been revealed before yourself, and the observers of the Contact Prayer (al-salata), and the givers of the Obligatory Charity (al-zakata), and the believers in God and the Last Day – those, we will give them a great reward (4:162).
Note: Among the Jews who have believed in God and Last Day as well as what has been revealed to Muhammad and have observed Salat prayer as well as have paid Zakah will receive a great reward from God.
Messengers are sent as bearers of good news and warning not to have any argument with God
- Indeed, we have inspired to you, as we had inspired to Noah and the prophets after him. And we had inspired to Abraham, and Ismail, and Isaac, and Jacob, and the Patriarchs, and Jesus, and Job, and Jonah, and Aaron, and Solomon. And we had given David Psalms (4:163). Messengers certainly, we have narrated them through you (Muhammad) from before, and messengers we do not narrate them through you. And God had spoken to Moses a direct conversation (4:164). Messengers are bearers of good news and bearers of warning that there would not be any argument for the people with God after the messengers, and God has been Almighty, Wise (4:165). But God bears witness of what He has revealed to you (Muhammad); He has revealed it with the knowledge and the angels bear witness. And God has sufficed as a Witness (4:166).
Note: God has sent many messengers in the past and all of them have not been mentioned in the Quran. But He had a direct conversation with Moses, while He bears witness along with His angels that what He has revealed to Muhammad.
Those who disbelieved and hindered from God’s path have strayed far astray
- Indeed, those who have disbelieved and have hindered from God’s path, certainly, they have strayed far straying (4:167). Indeed, those who have disbelieved and have done wrong, God will not forgive them, nor will He guide them to a path (4:168); except to a path of Hell, abiding in it forever. And that has been easy for God (4:169). O the people, certainly has come to you the messenger with the truth from your Lord. So, you shall believe, is better for you. And if you disbelieve, then indeed, to God belongs whatever is in the heavens and the earth. And God has been Knower, Wise (4:170).
Note: God has sent down the messenger with the truth, and those who disbelieved and hindered from His path, He will not forgive them nor will He guide them to His path.
Jesus, son of Mary is a messenger of God while Trinity is a false doctrine
- O people of the scripture, you do not exceed in your religion, nor do you say about God except the truth. The Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary was indeed a messenger of God, and His word He had sent to Mary, and a spirit from Him. So, you shall believe in God and His messengers. You do not say, “Trinity.” You shall refrain, is better for you. God is only One god; glory is His that there would be a son for Him! To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth. And God has sufficed as a Disposer of affairs (4:171). The Messiah would not disdain to be a servant of God, nor the angels being the closet (to Him). Whoever disdains from His worship and is arrogant, then He will gather them to Him all together (4:172).
Note: God has warned the people of the scripture (Christians) not to say, “Trinity” i.e., God, father and son relationship in Jesus, while the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary was a messenger of God and he has not been disdain to be a servant of God, nor the angels being closet to Him.
God is Protector of the believers while no protector for the disdained and arrogant
- Then as for those who have believed and have done the righteous deeds, then He will give them in full their reward, and will increase for them from His bounty. And as for those who have disdained and have turned arrogant, then He will punish them a painful punishment, and they will not find for them any protector other than God, nor any helper (4:173).
Note: Those who have believed and have done righteous deeds, God will give them reward in full while those who have disdained and have turned arrogant will not find for them any protector other than God.
God has given us a clear light to a straight path to make Paradise
- O people, a proof has come to you from your Lord, and we have revealed to you a clear light (4:174). So as for those who have believed in God and have held fast to Him, then He will admit them into mercy from Him and bounty, and will guide them to Him to a straight path (4:175).
Note: God has revealed to us a clear light and those who have believed and have held fast to Him, He will guide to a straight path and will admit them into mercy from Him and bounty.
Inheritance law between brother and sister when they left no children
- They seek to you ruling; say, “God gives you a ruling about the single person. If a man has died, there has been no child for him, and he has a sister, then for her is a half of what he has left. And he inherits from her, if there is no children for her. But if there had been two sisters, then for them are two-thirds of what he has left. And if there have been siblings of men and women, then for the male is like a share of the two females.” God makes clear for you, lest you go astray. And God is Knower of everything (4:176).
Note: A man who dies leaving no child but he has a sister, then for her is a half of what he has left and if he has two sisters, then for them two-thirds of what he has left. If a woman dies leaving no child, then he (her brother) inherits from her.
In conclusion, Surah Al-Nisaa-a (The Women) can be reviewed reflecting that its teaching is to establish women in Islam with honor, rights and privileges as well as fair dealing and protection of orphans while misinterpretation of its verses has not only made the women 2nd class citizens in Islam but also has given a bad name to Islam all over the world, and woe to the so called Muslim scholars who have been successful to have done that.
However, the significant aspects in the surah that should get our attention are: fearing God being our Creator, a man can marry up to four women to be fair with orphans, no room for using physical force in the institution of marriage, reconciliation is better for them when either husband or wife fears rebellion from his/her spouse while the divorce if they have decided it should be an amicable divorce, settlement of dowry in marriage is obligatory, inheritance law, punishment of adulterer and adulteress, God has made us responsible for our own souls, whoever earns sin he earns it against his soul, critical reading of the message gives authority to make correct interpretation of its verses to resolve any disputes, no contradictions found in the Quran as it is from God and what He sent down to His prophet is a messenger for the people, the disbelievers and the hypocrites will be gathered in Hell, salat prayers are decreed for the believers based on times as scheduled by God, the scripture has been sent to judge among the people, there is no forgiveness for those who associate partners with God being allies of Satan, God’s promise is truth while Satan’s promise is deception, he is better in religion whoever has submitted himself to God, messengers bring good news for the believers but warning for the disbelievers, Jesus, son of Mary is dead and will not come back until a day of the Resurrection while trinity is a false doctrine, God is a Protector of the believers while there is no protector for the disbelievers, God has given us a clear light to guide us to a straight path to make Paradise.
Peaceful Friday, salaam and God bless.