There are many verses in the Quran that talk about the creation of the universe while we know now that we are living in the expanding universe (51:47) explained by scientists in the theory of expanding universe, exploded from a single entity (21:30) following a gaseous state (41:11) explained by them in the big bang theory as well. God created the 7 heavens and the earth in 2 days but calculating provisions for all in the earth in 4 days (41:9-12). Thus, He completed the vast universe consisting of the 7 heavens and the earth assigning all matters to each heaven in 6 days establishing Himself on the throne as described in the seven verses of seven suras in the Quran (7:54, 10:3, 11:7, 25:59, 32:4, 50:38 and 57:4), and there is also a mathematical confirmation that we may reflect as an explicit proof of God’s act to put our trust on Him when we are living in the scientifically and technologically developed human civilization.
Note: This mathematical confirmation is an explicit proof that God has created the vast universe consisting of the seven heavens and the earth in six days indicating presence of life in the earth associated with water while we know from the statement made by Galileo, the father of modern science that mathematics is the language with which God created the universe.
Details of the sura
However, sura faatir whose English counterpart is Initiator is a hint of the creation of the vast universe with dynamic nature; and all our praise belongs to God who is not only Initiator but also holds the seven heavens and the earth. Here is the detailed of the sura to understand what have been highlighted in it so that we may reflect to His wisdom in regard of the creation of the universe and the creations within it to be grateful to Him:
- Praise be to God, Initiator of the heavens and the earth, and Creator of the angels as messengers having wings of two, three, and four. He increases in the creation as He wills. Indeed, God has power over all things (35:1).
Note: All our praise belongs to God who is the Initiator of the heavens and the earth as well as Creator and is increasing His creation therefrom as He wills.
- Whatever of mercy God grants to the people, then none can be a withholder of it. And whatever He withholds, then none can be a sender of it thereafter, and He is the Almighty, the Wise (35:2). O people, you shall remember God’s favor upon you. Is there any creator other than God who provides for you from the sky and the earth? There is no other god beside Him. Then how are you deviated? (35:3).
Note: God is worthy of all our praise and worship being a Creator who grants us mercy and provides for us from the sky and the earth. Hence, there is no other god (deity) except He, which is the most difficult part for those who believe in God and if we are deviated from that we have to pay price for it at our meeting with Him.
- If they deny you (prophet), then certainly, messengers were denied of your before, and to God all matters are returned (35:4). O people, indeed, God’s promise is true; so, the life of the world should not deceive you, and the deceiver may not deceive you with God (35:5).
Note: Denying the prophet is not new while denying prophets and messengers mean denying God’s words. Hence, God has warned the people that those who listen to other than God’s words deceive themselves to God.
- Indeed, the Satan is an enemy to you, so you shall take him as enemy; he only invites his party that they can be among the dwellers of the Blaze Fire (35:6). Those who disbelieved, for them there is a severe punishment and those who believed and did righteous deeds, for them there is forgiveness and a great recompense (35:7). Then is he who is made fair-seeming his evil deed to him that he sees it good? Thus, God sends astray whoever He wills, and He guides whoever wills. So, you should not feel yourself regrets for them. Indeed, God is Knower of what you do (35:8).
Note: Satan is a great enemy to people, who invites his party to be dwellers of the Blazing Fire making fair-seeming evil work to be good one for many of us while God sends astray the disbelieves and guides the true believers to a straight path while the prophet had no concern of the consequences of the disbelievers.
- God is the One who sends the winds so they raise clouds, that we drive them towards a dead land, that we revive the land therewith after its death. Thus is the resurrection (35:9).
Note: God has defined resurrection to make it straightforward for us by citing the example of reviving dead land after sending down rain on it through moving clouds by the wind to work accordingly to be the winners on the day.
- Whoever may have desire for the honor but to God belongs all the honor. To Him ascends the good words and the righteous deed raises it. And those who would plot the evil, for them there is a severe punishment, and plotting of those, which will perish (35:10).
Note: God honors those who send good words and righteous works to Him while He punishes those who do the evil plot.
- And God created you from dust, then from a tiny drop, as He made you pairs. And no female conceives nor does give birth without His knowledge. No person’s life is extended, nor is shortened from his life except as in a record. Indeed, that is easy for God (35:11). The two seas are not the same; one is fresh being its drink is sweet, pleasant, while the other is salty being undrinkable. And of each you eat fresh meat, and extract jewelry that you wear. And you see the ships cleaving in it that you may seek of His bounty and that you may be thankful (35:12). He turns the night into the day, and turns the day into the night. He has committed the sun and the moon each running for an appointed term. That is God your Lord; to Him belongs the kingship. And those whom you call on other than Him do not possess even a covering of a seed (35:13).
Note: There are sufficient proofs in the creation of: (1) human reproduction being created from dust, (2) appointed term for every one’s life, (3) two seas for provisions and source of jewelry, (4) alternating day and night, and (5) committing the sun and the moon running for an appointed term to reflect that sovereignty belongs to God.
- If you call on them, they cannot hear your call. And even they had heard you, they did not respond to you. And the day of Resurrection, they will deny of your association. And none can inform you like of Cognizant (35:14). O people, you are those who are in need of God, while God, He is the Self-sufficient, the Praiseworthy (35:15). If He wills, He can do away with you and can bring of a new creation (35:16). And that is not difficult for God (35:17).
Note: Kingship belongs to God but those whom are called on other than Him do not possess even a covering of a seed would not hear the call even they have heard but cannot respond and the Day of Resurrection they will deny their association.
- No one will bear burden as a bearer of another. And if someone with heavy load calls to its load, nothing will be carried from it, even if he may be of near kin. You can only warn those who fear their Lord in the unseen, and have observed the Contact Prayer. And whoever has purified oneself, then he only purifies for himself. To God is the destination (35:18).
Note: On a day of the Judgment no one will bear sins of another, even they are related; and in the earth whoever has purified him has only purified for himself while the prophet’s only responsibility was to warn those who fear their Lord and observe the Contact Prayer to purify themselves. Thus, the concept of intercession on a day of the Judgment around us is a myth being a satanic trick to make losers on the day of the final judgment.
- Not equal are the blind and the seer (35:19). Nor the darkness and the light (35:20). Nor the shade and the heat (35:21). Not equal are the living and the dead. Indeed, God causes to hear whomever He wills. You cannot make with hearing to those who are in the graves (35:22).
Note: God has cited certain straightforward examples of inequality for us and if we can reflect, we should not have any problem to accept the message sent down to us as well as to uphold it for our own good.
- You are not but a warner (35:23). Indeed, we have sent you with the truth, a bearer of good news, and a warner. Not a nation had passed but a warner in it (35:24). And if they deny you, then certainly, denied those were of their before. Their messengers came to them with the clear proofs, and the Psalms, and the enlightening scripture (35:25). Then, I seized those who disbelieved and how terrible was My retribution! (35:26).
Note: Prophet Muhammad was a warner as well as a bearer of good news like the prophets and messengers sent to humanity with the truth before him. They were denied and it was not unusual that he would be denied while the disbelievers were punished in the past.
- Do you not see that God sends down water from the sky, so we produce fruits of various colors therewith? And in the mountains there are peaks of the different colors: white, red and raven black (35:27). And among the people, the animals, and the livestock there are also various colors. Among His servants who have knowledge only fear God. Indeed, God is Almighty, Forgiving (35:28).
Note: Like sending of water from the sky is a sign of God is various colors in fruits, mountain peaks people, animals and livestock. Thus, those who have knowledge will reflect and fear God that they may have mercy from Him.
- Indeed, those who recite God’s scripture and have observed the Contact Prayer and have spent from what we have provided them secretly and publicly may hope for a commerce, which will never lose (35:29). That He will give them their reward, and will increase for them of His bounty. Indeed, He is Forgiving, Appreciative (35:30). And what we revealed to you of the scripture is the truth, confirming what was of its before. Indeed, God is surely Cognizant, Seer of His servants (35:31).
Note: Those who recite the scripture, observe the Contact Prayer and spend from their provisions will receive their reward from their Lord as He is Cognizant, Seer of His servants.
- Then we have made to inherit the scripture to those whom we have chosen among our servants while among them there is a wrongdoer for himself, among them there is a moderate one, and among them there is a foremost in the good deeds by God’s permission, that is the great of the bounty (35:32). Gardens of Eden, they will enter them. They will be adorned therein with bracelets of gold and pearls, and their garments therein will be of silk (35:33). They will say, “All praise belongs to God the One who has removed the sorrow from us. Indeed, our Lord is surely Forgiving, Appreciative (35:34). “The One who has settled us in a home of eternal resting place out of His blessing. No fatigue touches us therein nor does touch us worries therein.” (35:35). And those who disbelieved, for them there will be the fire of Hell. Neither is decreed for them that they will not die nor will be lightened for them of its torment Thus, we requite every ungrateful one (35:36). And they will scream therein, “Our Lord, bring us out, we will do righteous other than that what we used to do.” Did not we give you a life long enough that he, who would take heed therein, could take heed? And the warner came to you. So taste as there is no helper for the wrongdoers (35:37).
Note: It is God’s system from the past to send the scripture to appreciate and praise Him. Doing good deeds by God’s permission is a great blessing from Him to enter gardens of eternity but the disbelievers are ungrateful to Him will be in the fire of Hell wherein they will not die nor will be lightened their torment.
- God is Knower of the unseen of the heavens and the earth. Indeed, He is Knower of what in the breasts (33:38). He is the One who made you successors in the earth. So, whoever has disbelieved, then his disbelief is for him. And the disbelievers do not increase their disbelief except hatred to their Lord, and the disbelievers do not increase their disbelief except loss (35:39). Say, “Have you seen your partners those whom you call on other than God; show me what they have created in the earth or for them there is share in the heavens.” Do they own any partnership in the heavens? Or have we given them a book that they have a clear proof therefrom? Indeed, what the transgressors promise one another is not but a delusion (35:40). Indeed, God is the One who holds the heavens and the earth lest they cease. And if they had ceased, no one would hold them other than Him. Indeed, He is Forbearing, Forgiving (35:41).
Note: Disbelief increases hatred to God and causes loss to the disbelievers who associate partners with God without any proof while God is the One who holds the heavens and the earth.
- And they swore their oaths by God solemnly that if a warner had come to them, they would surely be better guided than any of the nations! But when a warner had come to them, it did not increase them except in aversion (35:42). There had been arrogance in the earth and the evil plotting but the evil plot does not encompass except around its people. Then do they wait except the way of the former? But you will not find any change in God’s system nor will you find any alteration in God’s system (35:43). Have they not traveled in the earth and seen how was the end of those who were their before? They were stronger than them in power but not is there anything in the heavens, or in the earth that can escape from God. Indeed, He is Knower, Powerful (35:44). And if God were to punish the people for what they have earned, He would not leave any creature on its back but He gives respite them until an appointed term. Thus when their term comes, then indeed, God has done being Seer of His servants (35:45).
Note: What God had done with the people of the former generations has done the same for the people of later generations giving respite until an appointed term as there is no change or alteration in the God’s system otherwise He would not leave any creature on its back.
Sura 35: faatir (Initiator) is a short sura consisting of 45 verses wherein there is a hint of the scientific discoveries: the big bang theory and the theory of the expanding universe that we know now:
- God is Initiator of the heavens and the earth and His creation is increasing therefrom as He wills.
- God is worthy of all our praise and worship being a Creator who grants us mercy and provides for us. There is no other god except He, which is the difficult part even for those who believe in God.
- God has warned the people that those who listen to other than God’s words deceive themselves.
- Satan is a great enemy to people, who invites his party to be dwellers of the Blazing Fire sending them to astray through fair-seeming of their evil works.
- God has defined resurrection to make it straight forward citing the example of reviving dead land upon sending down rain on it through moving clouds by the wind.
- God honors those who send good words and righteous works to Him while He punishes those who do the evil plot.
- God has created human reproduction being created from dust giving appointed term for every one’s life, seas with fresh and salty water for provisions and source of jewelry, alternation of day and night, and has committed the sun and the moon running for an appointed term.
- Kingship belongs to God but those whom are called on other than Him do not possess even a covering of a seed would not hear the call and the Day of Resurrection they will deny their association.
- On the Day of Judgment no one will bear sins of another even they are related, and in the earth whoever has purified him has only purified for himself and the prophet was just a warner for those who fear God and observe the Contact Prayer. Thus, the concept of intercession on the Day of Judgment around us is a myth being a satanic trick to make losers on the day of final judgment.
- Inequality examples are very straightforward and if we can reflect that, we should not have any problem to accept the message sent down to us as well as to uphold it for our own good.
- Prophet Muhammad was a warner as well as a bearer of good news like the prophets and messengers sent to humanity with the truth before him. They were denied and it was not unusual that he would be denied while the disbelievers were punished in the past.
- Creation of various colors in fruits, mountain peaks, people, animals and livestock is a sign of God that we may reflect and fear Him to have mercy from Him.
- Reciting scripture, observing the Contact Prayer and spending from the given provisions are means to receive reward from God.
- It is God’s system to send the scripture to do good works by His permission being a great blessing from Him to enter gardens of eternity while the disbelievers are ungrateful to Him will enter the fire of Hell wherein they will neither die nor will be lightened of their torment.
- Disbelief increases hatred to God and causes loss to the disbelievers for associating partners with Him while the disbelievers fail to understand that He is the One who holds the heavens and the earth.
- God has given respite people until an appointed term as there is no change or alteration in His system otherwise He would not leave any creature on its back.
In conclusion, sura faatir has details for us to send our good works to God who sent the scripture as His system and created the universe of dynamic nature perfectly matching scientific discoveries as we see now.
Peaceful Friday, salaam and God bless.