- Glory to the One who took of His servant (Muhammad) by night from the Sacred Masjid (of Mecca) to the farthest place of prostration which we blessed its surroundings that we can show him of our signs. Indeed, He is the Hearer, the Seer (17:1).
- And we gave Moses the scripture and we made it guidance for the Children of Israel that you are not to take any protector other than Me (17:2).” The descendant of whom we carried with Noah; indeed, he has been a grateful servant (17:3). And we decreed on the Children of Israel in the scripture, you will surely make corruption twice in the earth and you will surely reach a great disobedience (17:4). So, when the first promise of two came, we had raised against you servants of ours having great might, even they entered the homes, and it has been a promise which had been fulfilled (17:5). Then we gave back to you the victory over them, and we strengthened you with wealth and children, and we made you more powerful (17:6). If you have done good, you have done good for your souls, and if you have done evil, so is for them (your souls) as well. But when the second time promise came, they will sadden your faces and they will enter the Masjid as they have done the first time, and they will destroy what they had conquered (17:7). It may have been that your Lord will have mercy on you, but if you have returned, we have returned as well, and we have made Hell a gathering place for the disbelievers (17:8).
- Indeed, this – the Quran guides to that which is most straight and gives good news to the believers who do the righteous deeds that for them there is a great reward (17:9). And that those who do not believe in the Hereafter, we have prepared for them a painful retribution (17:10). And the human being calls for the evil at his call for the good, as the human being has been very hasty (17:11).
- And we have made the night and the day two signs. When we have removed a sign of the night and we have made a sign of the day brightened that you may seek bounty from your Lord, and that you may know a number of the years and the calculation. And everything we have explained it in detail (17:12). And for every person we have fastened to him his fate to his neck, and we will bring forth for him on a day of the resurrection a record which he will find wide open (17:13). Read your record! It has sufficed with yourself today as a reckoner for you (17:14).
- Whoever has guided, then he only guides for his soul, and whoever goes astray, then he only goes astray against it. And a bearer of burden will not bear burden of another, and we have not been punishing until we send a messenger (17:15). And when we have intended that we will destroy a town, we have allowed its leaders that they have disobeyed therein, so has proved true the punishment against it, then we have destroyed it complete destruction (17:16). And how many of the generations have we destroyed after Noah? And it has sufficed with your Lord of sins of His servants being Cognizant, Seer (17:17).
- Whoever has been the immediate desire, we have hastened for him in it whatever we will for whom we intend, thereafter, we have made for him Hell; he will burn there as a disgraced, a rejected (17:18). And whoever has desired the Hereafter and has exerted its effort for it, while he is a believer, then those have made their effort will be the appreciated ones (17:19). Each we extend to these and to these is gift from your Lord and your Lord’s gift has been not restricted (17:20). See how we have preferred some of them over others; and certainly, the Hereafter is greater in ranks as well as greater in excellence (17:21).
- You do not make another god with God is to be with a disgraced, an abandoned (17:22). And your Lord has decreed that you do not worship except Him alone, and with the parents is goodness whether one or both of them reach the old age with you, then you do not say to them a word of disrespect nor do you avoid them, but speak to them an honorable word (17:23). And you shall lower for them a wing of the humility out of the mercy, and shall pray: “My Lord, have mercy upon them as they have brought me up from infancy (17:24).” Your Lord is Knower of what is in your souls. If you are righteous, then indeed, He has been Forgiving for those who often turn (to Him) (17:25).
- And you shall give his due to the near relative, and the needy, and the wayfarer; while you do not spend as extravagant (17:26). Indeed, the extravagant have been brothers of the devils, and the Satan has been ungrateful to his Lord (17:27). And if you turn away from them seeking mercy from your Lord which you desire, then say to them a gentle word (17:28). While you do not make your hand stingy by holding it to your neck, nor do you extend it so open that you become blameworthy, insolvent (17:29). Indeed, your Lord extends the provision for whomever He wills and He straitens (it). Indeed, He has been Cognizant, Seer of His servants (17:30).
- And you do not kill your children (unborn) for fear of poverty; we provide for them and for you. Indeed, their killing has been a gross sin (17:31). And you do not come near the adultery. Indeed, it has been an immorality and an evil path (17:32). And you do not kill the life, which God has forbidden, except in the course of justice. And whoever has been killed unjustly, then we have given authority for his heir, while he should not exceed in the killing. Indeed, he has been helped (17:33). And you do not come near the orphan’s wealth except for that which is best, until he reaches his maturity, and you shall fulfill the covenant. Indeed, the covenant has made accountable (17:34). And you shall give full of the measure when have been measured and shall weigh the straight with the balance. That is good and better in the end (17:35).
- And you do not follow that which has not for you any knowledge of it. Indeed, the hearing, and the vision, and the understanding – each of those has made accountable (to prevent) from it (17:36). And you do not walk in the land in arrogance. Indeed, you will never penetrate the earth, nor will you reach the mountains in height (17:37). All that evil has been hateful to your Lord (17:38). That is of what your Lord has revealed to you of the wisdom. And you do not make another god with God, lest you would be cast into Hell, being blameworthy, abandoned (17:39). Has then your Lord chosen for you sons, while He has taken daughters from the angles? Indeed, you are saying a grievous word (17:40)!
- And certainly, we have explained in this – the Quran that they may take heed, but it does not increase them except for aversion (17:41)! Say: “If there had been gods with Him as they say, then surely, they have sought a way towards owner of the Throne (17:42).” Glory to His and He has exalted to a great height is far beyond what they say (17:43). Glorifies for Him the seven heavens and the earth and whatever in them, and there is not a thing except it glorifies with His praise, but you do not comprehend their glorification. Indeed, He has been Compassionate, Forgiving (17:44).
- And when you have read the Quran, we have placed an invisible barrier between you and those who do not believe in the Hereafter (17:45). And we have placed coverings over their hearts lest they understand it, and deafness in their ears. And when you have mentioned your Lord in the Quran alone, they have turned on their backs in aversion (17:46). We are knower of what they listen to it, when they are listening to you, and when they are in private conversation when the wicked say: “You do not follow but a bewitched man (17:47)!” See how they have set forth the examples for you while they have gone astray; so they cannot find a way (17:48).
- And they said: “Is it when we have been bones and particles, will we surely be resurrected as a new creation (17:49)?” Say: “Become stones or iron (17:50), or a great creation is in your chests.” Then they will say: “Who will recreate us?” Say: “The One who has created you the first time.” Then they will shake their heads to you and say: “When is it?” Say: “It may have been that it is near (17:51).” The day He will call you and you will respond with His praise and will think you had not stayed except a little while (17:52).
- And say to My servants to speak for that which is best. Indeed, the Satan comes with animosity between them. Indeed, the Satan has been a great enemy for mankind (17:53). Your Lord is Knower of you; if He wills, He will have mercy on you or if He wills, He will punish you, and we have not sent you (Muhammad) a guardian over them (17:54). And your Lord is Knower of whoever is in the heavens and the earth. And we have preferred some of the prophets over others, and we gave David the Psalms (17:55). Say: “Call on those you have claimed other than Him that they have no power for removing of the misfortune from you nor of transferring (17:56).” Those whom they call, seek to their Lord the means, which of them is nearest, and expect His mercy, and fear His retribution. Indeed, your Lord retribution has to be feared (17:57)!
- And there is not a town before the day of resurrection we had its destruction or its severe punishment. That has been written in the scripture (17:58). And what stopped us from sending the signs (miracles) except that the previous people had denied of them. And we had given Thamud the she-camel as a visible sign, but they wronged to her. And we do not send the signs except for fearing (17:59). And when we said to you: “Indeed, your Lord has encompassed the people.” And we did not make the vision that we showed you except as a test for the people, and the cursed tree in the Quran. And we threaten them, but it does not increase except a great transgression (17:60).
- And we said to the angels: “Prostrate to Adam.” So they prostrated except for Iblis, he said: “Shall I prostrate to whom you have created from mud (17:61)!” He said: “Have You seen this (Adam) whom You have preferred over me? If You have given me a respite until a Day of the Resurrection, I will seize his progeny except for a few (17:62).” He said: “Go, and whoever has followed you of them, then indeed, Hell is your (all of you) recompense – a proper recompense (17:63). And entice whoever you have had among them with your voice, and mobilize all your cavalry and your infantry against them, and share with them in the wealth and the children, and promise them, and the Satan promises them except a deceit (17:64). Indeed, My servants, has no power for you over them, and has sufficed with your Lord as a Guardian (17:65).”
- Your Lord is the One who drives the ships for you in the sea that you may seek of His bounty. Indeed, He has mercy to you (17:66). And when the hardship touches you in the sea, has lost who you call except Him alone. But when He delivers you to the shore, you turn away. And mankind is ungrateful (17:67). Do you then feel secure that He will not cause to swallow this side of the land with you, or that He would not send a violent storm against you? Then you will not find a guardian for you (17:68). Or do you feel secure that He would not send you back into it another time, then He would not send against you a violent wind is to drown you because you have disbelieved? Then you will not find a vindicator for you therein against us (17:69).
- And we have honored the Children of Adam and have supported them in the land and the sea, and we have provided for them of the good things, and we have preferred them over many of those whom we created with preference (17:70). A day we call all human beings with their records. Then, whoever has been given his record in his right hand, then those will read their records, and they will not be wronged like a thin covering a date seed (17:71). And whoever has been blind in this (world), then he will be blind in the Hereafter and far astray of the (right) path (17:72).
- And they almost diverted you (Muhammad) from which we revealed to you that you fabricate about us other than it (Quran), and then they would surely take you as a friend! (17:73)! And if we had not strengthened you (Muhammad), you have almost leaned towards them in something a little (17:74). Then, we would have made you taste (retribution) double in the life and double in the death. Then you would have not found for yourself any helper against us (17:75).
- And indeed, they were about to banish you from the land that they drive you out from it. And then, they would not have stayed after you except a little (17:76). Such is system of whoever certainly, we have sent our messengers before yourself (Muhammad), and you will not find any change in our system (17:77).
- You (Muhammad) shall observe the Contact Prayer at the sun declining towards darkness of the night and Quran at the dawn. Indeed, Quran at the dawn has been to witnessed (17:78). And of the night that you shall mediate with it (Quran) for your extra (reward), it may have been that your Lord may raise you to a high rank (17:79). And say: “My Lord, admit me an honorable admittance, and let me depart an honorable departure, and grant me from You a powerful support. (17:80).” And say: “The truth has come and the falsehood has perished. Indeed, the falsehood has been to perish (17:81)!” And we reveal in the Quran of that which is healing and mercy for the believers, but it does not increase except loss to the wicked (17:82). And when we have bestowed favor on mankind, he has turned away and has become on his side. But when has touched him the adversity, he has been in despair (17:83)! Say: “Everyone works in accordance with his manner, while Your Lord is Knower of whomever he is in a guided path (17:84).”
- And they ask you (Muhammad) about the Spirit. Say: “The Spirit is from my Lord’s command, and you have not been given of the knowledge except a little (17:85).” And if we had willed, we have taken away of that which we have revealed to you. Then you would not find any advocate for you of this against us (17:86). Except for a mercy from your Lord. Indeed, His blessing upon you has been great (17:87).
- Say: “If the human and the Jinn had gathered on that they would bring of like this – the Quran, they could not bring of like this, even if they have been helpers of one another (17:88).” And certainly, we have explained for the people in this – the Quran of every example, while most of the people has refused except for disbelief (17:89)! And they said: “We will never believe for you until you cause a spring to gush forth from the earth (17:90).” “Or you have for you a garden of date-palms and grapes, and you cause to gush forth the rivers within it (17:91). Or you cause to fall pieces of the sky as you have claimed upon us, or you bring of God and the angels before (us) (17:92). Or there is a house of luxury for you, or you ascend into the sky. And we will not believe for your ascension until you bring down a scripture to us we can read it.” Say: “Glory to my Lord, who have I been except a human messenger?” (17:93). And what has prevented the people that they do not believe when has come to them the guidance, except they said: “Has God sent a human messenger (17:94)?” Say: “If there has been in the earth angels walking securely, certainly, we have sent down to them an angel messenger from the heaven (17:95).” Say: “It has sufficed with God as a Witness between me and you. Indeed, He has been Cognizant, Seer of His servants (17:96).” And whomever God guides, then he is the guided one and whomever He lets go astray, you will not find for them any protectors other than Him. And we will gather them on a day of the Resurrection on their faces blind, and dumb, and deaf. Their abode is Hell, every time it has subsided, we will increase for them the fire (17:97). That is their recompense because they have disbelieved in our revelations, and they said: “When we are bones and particles, will we be resurrected as a new creation (17:98)?” Do they not see that God, the One who has created the heavens and the earth is able to create like themselves? And He has made a term for them, there is no doubt in it, while has refued the wicked except for disbelief (17:99). Say: “If you possess my Lord’s treasures of mercy, then you have surely, withheld for fear of spending. And the human being has been stingy (17:100)!”
- And we had given Moses nine clear signs. So you shall ask the Children of Israel, when he had come to them, then Pharaoh said to him: “I think that you Moses are bewitched (17:101)!” He said: “Certainly, you have known that no one has sent these down except Lord of the heavens and the earth as proofs, and I think that you Pharaoh are doomed (17:102)!” So he wanted that he will drive them out of the land while we had drowned him and all whoever with him (17:103). And we said after him to the Children of Israel: “Dwell in the land, then when has come the promise second time, we have brought you all together as a mixed crowd (17:104).”
- And we have sent it down with the truth and it has descended with the truth, and we have not sent you except a bearer of good news and a warner (17:105). And Quran we have divided it that you (Muhammad) can read it to the people over a period of time; and we have revealed it a (gradual) revelation (17:106). Say: “Believe in it or you do not believe. Those who have been given the knowledge of its before, when it is recited to them, they fall in prostration to their faces (17:107).” And they say: “Glory to our Lord. Indeed, our Lord’s promise has been is certainly, fulfilled (17:108).” And they fall crying to their faces, and it increases them in humility (17:109).
- Say: “Call on God or call on the Most Gracious. Whatever you call on, so is for Him the best names.” And you should not to be loud in your prayer, nor should you be silent in it, and you shall use a path in between that (17:110).” And say: “All praise to God, the One who does not take a son, nor does He have a partner in the sovereignty, nor does He have an ally out of the weakness.” And you shall glorify Him a befitting glorification (17:111).
Sura consists of 111 verses and most of the verses are short. Even there is opportunity for those who have limited knowledge in Arabic may derive message from each verse of the sura. However, the message in each Arabic verse has been translated to English reflecting to the Arabic text as well as basic Arabic grammar making sincere effort to avoid any traces of personality cult as well.
Review indicates that there are many crucial commands and information that we can reflect to find right way to observe our God given religious duties. In the sura there is warning for the disbelievers and the people of Israel about the severe punishment, and also for the prophet through whom we received the Quran so that we can avoid those who are doing business with the religion leaving us in the darkness. God has given us the Quran as the straight path, bearer of good news and warner having the truth to worship Him without associating partners with Him to see our success with Him. While those who have disregarded the Quran have gone astray and they are not certain about the resurrection.
Peaceful Friday, salaam and God bless.