- (I swear by) Ha. Meem (44:1). And the enlightening scripture (44:2).
- Indeed, we have revealed it (the scripture- because of the masculine object pronoun in Arabic text) in a blessed night, indeed, we are warning (44:3). In it (the blessed night- because of the feminine object pronoun in Arabic text), every matter of wisdom is clarified (44:4).
- A command from us; indeed, we send messengers (44:5). A mercy from your Lord. He is the Hearer, the Omniscient (44:6). Lord of the heavens and the earth, and what is between them if you could be certain! (44:7). There is no other god beside Him. He controls life and death; your Lord and the Lord of your ancestors (44:8). Indeed, they are doubtful, heedless (44:9).
- Therefore, watch for the day when the sky brings a profound smoke (44:10). It will envelop the people; this is a painful retribution (44:11). “Our Lord, relieve this retribution for us; we are believers” (44:12).
- How can be the reminder for them when an enlightened messenger had come to them? (44:13). Then, they turned away from him and said, “He is ill-educated, mad!” (44:14).
- We will relieve the retribution for a while; you will soon revert (44:15). The day we strike the big stroke, we will avenge (44:16).
- We have tested before them the people of Pharaoh; an honorable messenger went to them (44:17).(To proclaim) that: “Listen to me, servants of God. I am an honest messenger to you (44:18). Do not transgress against God. I come to you with powerful support (44:19). I seek refuge in my Lord and your Lord, lest you oppress (stone) me (44:20). If you do not wish to believe, then simply leave me alone” (44:21). Eventually, he implored his Lord: “These are a wicked people” (44:22).
- (God said) “Travel with My servants during the night; you will be pursued (44:23). “Cross the sea quickly; their troops will be drowned” (44:24).
- They left many gardens and springs (44:25). Crops and luxurious living (44:26). And the delightful things that they used to enjoy (44:27). Thus that, we made it inherited by other people (44:28). Neither the heaven and the earth wept for them, nor were they given respite (44:29).
- Indeed, we saved the Children of Israel from the humiliating persecution (44:30). From Pharaoh; indeed, he was a great tyrant (44:31). We chose them purposely over all the people (44:32), and gave them many blessings wherein there was a great test (44:33).
- The people around you are saying (44:34), “There is only one death for us in it (earth); we will never be resurrected! (44:35). Bring back our forefathers, if you are truthful” (44:36). Are they better than the people of Tubba` and those before them whom we annihilated as they were wicked? (44:37). We did not create the heavens and the earth, and everything between them, just to play (44:38). We created them for a specific purpose, but most of them do not know (44:39). The Day of Decision awaits them all (44:40). That is the day when no friend can help his friend in any way; no one can be helped (44:41). Only those who attain mercy from God. He is the Almighty, Most Merciful (44:42).
- Surely, the tree of Zaqqum (44:43) – will provide the food for the sinners (44:44). Like hot oil, it will boil in the stomachs (44:45). Like the boiling of liquid (44:46). Take him and throw him into the center of Hell (44:47). Then pour over his head the retribution of the boiling liquid (44:48). “Taste this; you were so powerful, so honorable.” (44:49). This is what you used to doubt (44:50).
- The righteous will be in a secure position (44:51). Enjoying gardens and springs (44:52). Wearing velvet and satin; remaining close to each other (44:53). We will grant them wonderful spouses (44:54). They will enjoy in it all kinds of fruits, perfect peace (44:55). They would not taste death therein except the first death, and He has spared them the retribution of Hell (44:56). Such is the blessing from your Lord. Such is the great triumph (44:57).
- We have made it (the Quran) easy in your language, that they may take heed (44:58). Therefore, wait; they too will have to wait (44:59).
Oath of God
Note: Ha.Meem, the letters of the Arabic alphabet popularly known as quranic initials are physical proofs of Quran from God instead of mysterious letters, which occur in certain frequencies in the Arabic text of the relevant sura is an established fact now, and the total of these two letters in the Arabic text of seven suras is a multiple of 19 => 2147 (19x113). However, Ha. Meem and the enlightening scripture as an oath of God being at the beginning of the sura should not be taken lightly to make our focus on the statements that immediately follow His oath so that we can reflect and realize the real significance on the night in which the whole Quran was revealed. This kind of oath is also found in 50:1– (I swear by) Qaf and the glorious Quran being at the beginning of the sura, Qaf (Sura # 50) which confirms that the statement in (50:2): ‘a warner from among them came to them’ is a solid truth but not a strange as claimed by the disbelievers and in 38:1– by Saad and the Quran containing the proof at the beginning of the sura, Saad (Sura # 38) which confirms that the statement in (38:2): ‘the disbelievers have plunged into arrogance and defiance’ leaving any room to be doubtful about the statement.
Quran was Revealed in the Blessed Night
Note: The whole Quran was revealed in the blessed night with our teachings and laws explaining and clarifying all matters that we need to lead a righteous life until the End of the World (18:109, 31:27). God has called the night to be the Night of Power (laylatul qadr), which is better than a thousand months (97:3). How awesome is the night (97:2) if we could reflect on the creation of the universe in six days (7:54, 10:3, 11:7) and many other verses while the night in which the Quran was revealed is better than a thousand months (97:3), and the mountain would tremble and crumble out of reverence for God if the Quran were revealed on it! (59:21).Thus, the Quran is the greatest wonder of all the wondrous creations of God that we see and realize. Even we are blessed with the knowledge to mathematically confirm this one-night event occurred in 13 B.H. (610 A.D.) involving the angels and the Gabriel by dissecting the Quran being the literary mathematical composition. There are 26 verses across 5 suras in the Quran covering this awesome event, and the total of the relevant sura and verse numbers is a multiple of 19 =>589 (19x31) to eliminate any doubt from our hearts about any misconceptions and to avoid any man-made rituals around the night.
God’s system to send messengers as a mercy from Him
Note: God is the Lord of the universe and He controls our life and death. It is His system and mercy to send messengers from time to time with the reminders to guide and remind us to worship Him alone but most people are confused and heedless to the reminders. On the other hand, there are people among the believers who give excessive focus on the messenger considering him heavenly persona instead of the message sent with him to make them idol worshippers. If we could reflect on the fact that no messenger can bring us closer to God, nor can he benefit or harm us, it would help to prevent us from such idol worshipping. Even, any practice of any messenger that violates the principles (teachings and laws) of the God’s guidance must be discontinued to be appreciative of God as His allies to maintain our stand that we worship Him alone, which is our topmost priority.
Appearance of terrible smoke in the sky
Note: The terrible smoke in the sky is one of the events on the Day of Destruction. The smoke will cover the people and it will be the painful retribution for the disbelievers while the believers will be saved from it. Hence, the disbelievers will ask God for relieving the retribution claiming them believers even they were liars. The retribution would be so terrible that the people will lie and claim them believers or they did not take the opportunity to make sure before leaving this world whether they were believers or disbelievers. This would be the usual behavior of the guilty when they see the retribution, is repeated in many other verses in the Quran including (6:27-28). However, there are different versions on the occurrence of this smoke including allegorical presentation but it is our responsibility to accept the one which makes sense to us to be true.
Consequence of rejecting God’s messenger of covenant
Note: God has sent an enlightened messenger with the reminder (the mathematical coding of the Quran) but most people rejected him as they found him astray and detected foolishness in him. Here is a clear indication of the messenger coming after prophet Muhammad as prophesied in the Quran (3:81 and 33:7). However, in 44:14 the Arabic word, mu’allamun is translated to ‘ill-educated’ instead of literal meaning ‘one taught’ (by other) considering the negative attitude of the disbelievers towards God’s messenger and the Arabic phrase, mu’allamun majnunun being a matching pair.
The disbelievers are destined to Hell
Note: God knows our past and future. If the retribution of the disbelievers were relieved for a while, and sent them back to the world, they would return with exactly the same state what they have right now (6:28). The day of the great blow and its disaster that they are facing were not kept hidden from them. Thus, the reminder did not help them avoid the promised retribution in the past and it would not help them either if they are sent back to the world and brought back once again. Hence, they must endure retribution for what they used to disbelieve and deny despite the clear reminder, and this is the God’s system which never changes.
History of Pharaoh and his people with an honorable messenger
Note: An honorable messenger was sent with powerful support to the people of Pharaoh to guide them but they were wicked and rejected him. As a consequence Pharaoh and his troops were drowned when they crossed the sea while the righteous were saved. Pharaoh and his people left many earthly materials behind them that did not help them to save from the retribution or no one wept over them. Thus, the Children of Israel had not only been saved from the humiliating persecution of Pharaoh but also were given many blessings that were not given to any other people to lead a righteous life being appreciative of God.
To be certain about Resurrection and Day of Decision is a great impediment
Note: Most people are not certain about the resurrection and the Day of Judgment as it were even when the Quran was revealed learning any lesson from the history of the annihilation of people of the previous generations. They also fail to understand the purpose of the creation of human being. The Day of Decision is awaiting all the people. There would be no help from any one, only those who attain God’s mercy will be saved. Thus, the people who expect that they will be saved through intercession will be the great losers.
Retaliation of the disbelievers is Hell
Note: The retaliation of the disbelievers is Hell wherein they will suffer the painful retribution while Hell and punishment in it are allegorically presented to us.
Compensation of the righteous is Paradise
Note: The compensation of the righteous is Paradise wherein they will enjoy perfect happiness and abide forever. Such blessing is the great triumph for the righteous from their Lord. However, the description of Paradise and enjoyment in it are allegorically presented to us.
Quran is revealed in Arabic to make it easy to understand
Note: The Quran was revealed in the native language to make it easy to understand for the native and God expects that they will study and follow it to ensure their successful return otherwise they have to face the painful consequences when they meet Him. Hence, those who spread the rumor that it is difficult to understand and create volumes of books to explain it would not go unpunished.
Al-Dukhan is one of the initialed suras and the most significant events that are stated in it are: (1) the Blessed Night, (2) the appearance of profound smoke in the sky, (3) asking for relieving the painful retribution when the disbelievers see it claiming them believers and (4) parting of the sea to make a passage to save the righteous but to drown the disbelieving arrogant.
The sura begins with God’s oath consisting of Ha. Meem and the enlightening scripture, and the true believers can only realize how awesome the God’s oath is! The revelation of the whole Quran was a night-long process and the night is referred to be the Blessed Night in which all matters were clarified providing teaching and laws that we need to lead a righteous life until the End of the World. The revealing process confirms the significance of the Blessed Night and the wondrous nature of Quran which is our guidance from God to use it for our journey towards the final destination without being lost. It should not be difficult for us to realize that the Quran is the greatest wonder for us if we just reflect on the creation of the universe which takes six days while the Blessed Night is better than a thousand months.
It is God’s mercy and system to send messengers and prophets with His message to guide the humanity but the humanity makes it their system to reject them being doubtful about them and heedless to His message sent with them. When the disbelievers see the retribution, they will ask God for relieving the retribution giving them another chance. Since there is no change in the God’s system, they must endure Hell for what they used to disbelieve and deny despite the clear reminder given to them. In addition, if we could realize that sending messengers to the humanity at times is to guide them in the right direction, it would help us to ensure the successful return to our Lord.
The Pharaoh and his people were wicked and an honorable messenger was sent to guide them but they rejected him. As a consequence, they were drowned while the righteous were saved. The Pharaoh and his people left many earthly materials behind them that did not help them to save from the retribution or no one wept over them. Thus, the Children of Israel had been saved from the humiliating persecution of Pharaohas well they were given many blessings to lead a righteous life being appreciative of God. Are they doing the right thing now? The judgment is none but with them. However, the history of Pharaoh and his people involving Moses have been presented to teach us the behavior of the wickedpeople expecting from us that we would learn from it and try our best to avoid such wickedness to save us otherwise our consequence would be as same as theirs as we will get to Hereafter with our retribution.But what we see is the repetition of the history in the humanity without learning anything from it including our generationwhile most of us have rejected God’s messenger and the messagesent with him despite the fulfillment of the prophecy in the Quran (3:81 & 33:7) supported by the great miracle, number 19 (74:30 & 74:35).
Followed by resurrection and judgment, the disbelievers will suffer in Hell while the righteous will enjoy in Paradise. Both Hell and Paradise are allegorically presented to us but in Hell there will be extreme suffering while in Paradise there will be overwhelming peace and enjoyment. Thus, our return to our Lord has been confirmed that we should take it seriously so that we can meet all our requirements fulfilling all our obligations what we are supposed to do as clarified in the Blessed Night, which has been designated better than a thousand months by God. Sometimes, excessive focusing on God’s messengers makes us idol worshippers that we do not realize. To avoid such idol worshipping we must instill in our hearts that even if we know that any practice of any messenger violates the principles of the God’s guidance, we must stop that immediately to be appreciative of God as His allies to maintain our stand that we worship Him alone in all our circumstances.
Peaceful Friday, salaam and God bless.