Sura Luq’maan is an initialed sura prefixed with Alif.Laam.Meem, a set of Quranic initials being a sign of the wise scripture, which is a guidance and mercy for the good-doers. In this sura, God has highlighted the advices of Luqman to his son and has confirmed His words what are given us in our guidance are accurate and enough that we can praise and pray Him. Thus, He has given us every word what we need to believe to do the righteous deeds to deserve the blissful Paradise if the given words are studied, and understood and followed making our priority to obey His commands and laws.
Properties of Luqmaan
- Sura name: Luqmaan (Luqman in English).
- No of verses: 34.
- Revelation order: 57.
- Placement in the physical arrangement: # 31.
- Quranic initials prefixed to it: Alif (A).Laam (L).Meem (M).
- Earlier revelation among 6 ALM prefixed initialed suras.
- Its revelation before the ALM initialed sura Al-Baqarah.
Count of Alef.Laam.Meem (ALM) prefixed to 6 suras
There are 6 ALM prefixed suras in the Quran and the count of ALM in all 6 ALM initialed is shown in the table below while the order of revelation of sura Luqmaan is the first among the 6 ALM initialed suras, which is marked with asterisk, and their total count is a multiple of 19 =>19874(19x1046):
Note: Data obtained from the updated count of Quranic initials published in the submission.org.
It is noteworthy that the total occurrences of ALM as counted in the six suras is a multiple of 19 which means that they occur at certain frequencies as maintained by the Author along with literary excellence in His book, and if any of these letters in these six suras is altered where they belong to, it would destroy this mathematical phenomenon. Thus, these letters are not only mathematical proofs of the Quran that the Quran is from God but are also protecting it from any distortion being letter level invisible guards (15:9), which was hidden to the people in the past even many who witness the truth now.
Details of the sura
Sura Luq’maan is an Alif.Laam.Meem initialed short sura but if we can reflect its verses, we should not have any confusion to worship God without associating partners with Him to deserve gardens of the Bliss with God being grateful to Him. However, here is an attempt to detail out its verses in the English translation going through the Arabic text and grammar to reflect the word for word translation in the translation having subtitles including short notes to understand the messages in the sura:
A sign of the wise book, which is guidance and mercy for the good-doers
- Alif.Laam.Meem (31:1). That is of signs of the scripture, the wise (31:2). A guidance and a mercy for the good-doers (31:3).
Note: Alif.Laam.Meem, a set of Quranic initials, is a sign of the wise scripture, which is a guidance and a mercy for the good-doers. The word, tilka in (31:2), a demonstrative pronoun in singular feminine form meaning “that” refers to alif.laam.meem in (31:1) which is a set instead of individual Arabic letters indicating a special role in the scripture, and the word, aayaatu in plural feminine form meaning “signs” refer to 14 sets of Quranic initials as mentioned in the Quran (15:87). Thus, the interpretation of tilka to “these” even in singular form considering aayaatu in plural form and Alif.Laam.Meemto “letters” by many are misinterpretation while there are 14 such sets in the Quran.
Winners are those who followed guidance from their Lord
- Those who observe the Contact Prayer (al-salata), and give the obligatory charity (al-zakata), and They are who ascertain with the Hereafter (31:4). Those have guidance from their Lord, and those who are the successful ones (31:5).
Note: (1) Observing Salat, (2) giving Zakat, (3) being certain about Hereafter and (4) following God’s guidance are ways to be winners in the Hereafter.
Losers are those who accepted and followed baseless Hadith
- And of the people, whoever accepts the baseless Hadiths that he misleads from God’s path without knowledge, and takes it as mockery. These, for them there is a shameful punishment (31:6). And when our revelations are recited to him, he has turned away in arrogance as if he did not hear them, as if there is deafness in his ears. So, you shall inform him of a painful punishment (31:7).
Note: Those who followed baseless Hadiths disregarding God’s revelations behaving like a deaf, for them there is a painful punishment in the Hereafter.
The righteous deserve gardens of the Bliss
- Indeed, those who believed and have done the righteous deeds, for them, there will be gardens of the Bliss (31:8). They will be abiding therein forever. God’s promise is true. And He is the Almighty, the Wise (31:9).
Note: God’s promise for those who have believed and have done the righteous deed are gardens of the bliss wherein they will be abiding forever.
The righteous reflect to God’s creations
- He created the heavens without pillars you see it. And He has placed in the earth mountains lest it tumbles with you, and He has spread in it of every creature. And we have sent down water from the sky that we have grown therein of every attractive variety (31:10).This is God’s creation. So, show Me what has created those other than Him. Nay, the wrongdoers are far astray (31:11).
Note:We can see what God has created while the wrongdoers are far astray cannot see His creations.
Association of partners with God is a great injustice
- And certainly, we have given Luqman the wisdom that “You shall be grateful to God.” Whoever becomes grateful, then he only becomes grateful for himself. And whoever has become ungrateful, indeed, God is Self-sufficient, Praiseworthy (31:12). And when Luqman said to his son, while he advises him, “O my son, do not associate partners with God; indeed, association of partners is a great injustice.” (31:13).
Note: Luqman was given wisdom what he used to be grateful to God and he also asked his son to do the same letting him know that association of partners with God is a great injustice.
God has commanded us to treat our parents with kindness
- And we have enjoined the human being about his parents. His mother has borne him as of weakness and his weaning is about 2 years that you shall be grateful to Me and to your parents; to Me is the destination (31:14). While if they have strived you on that you associate partners with Me what you have not any knowledge of it, then you do not obey them; and you shall accompany them with kindness in the world, and shall follow a path of whoever has turned to Me. Then, to Me is your return, then I will inform you of what you have done to accomplish (31:15).
Note: God has commanded us to treat our parents with kindness but to avoid them if they insist us on associating partners with Him.
Luqman’s advices to his son
- “O my son, indeed it, if it be weight of a grain of a mustard seed, then it be in a rock, or in the heavens or in the earth, God will bring it out. Indeed, God is Subtle, Cognizant (31:16). “O my son, you shall observe the Contact Prayer (al-salata), and shall enjoin of the right and shall forbid from the evil, and shall be steadfast over what befalls you. That is of the most honorable affairs (31:17). “You should not turn your face from the people, nor should you walk in the earth proudly. God does not love any arrogant boaster (31:18). And you shall be humble in your walk and shall lower your voice; indeed, harshest of the voices is surely the donkeys’ voice.” (31:19).
Note: Luqman’s advice to his son was that God knows everything whether it does not matter how small it is and where it is. He should observe Salat and should advocate the right and should forbid from the evil, and he should speak and walk humbly and should lower his voice not turning away from the people.
Human tragedy for following parents blindly
- Do you not see that God has committed for you what is in the heavens and what is in the earth, and has bestowed upon you His apparent and hidden blessings? And of the people whoever disputes about God without having knowledge, nor guidance, nor an enlightening scripture (31:20). When it has been told, “You shall follow what God has revealed,” they said, “Nay, we follow what we found on it our parents.” What if it had been the Satan calls them to punishment of the blazing Fire? (31:21).
Note: Despite God’s blessings around us, those who follow parents blindly without having knowledge nor accepting guidance and an enlightening scripture, the Satan has invited them to the punishment of the blazing fire.
The disbelievers are granted temporary enjoyment in the earth
- And whoever submits himself to God, while he is a good-doer, then certainly, he has grasped of the trustworthy support. And to God is end of all the matters (31:22). And whoever has disbelieved, then his disbelief should not sadden you. To us is their return, then we will inform them of what they had done. Indeed, God is Knower of what in the breasts (31:23). We grant them a temporary enjoyment, then we will commit them to a severe punishment (31:24).
Note: Those who submitted to God have grasped the trustworthy support while those who disbelieved and their disbelief should not sadden them. To God is their return and He will inform them of what they used to do as He knows what is in their hearts. They have been granted temporary enjoyment but will suffer a painful when they meet their Lord, even though they were aware that God is a Creator of the heavens and the earth but were not sure that all praise belongs to Him.
God has given us all His words that need to follow to praise Him
- And if you ask them, “Who has created the heavens and the earth.” Certainly, they will say, “God.” Say, “All praise belongs to God.” Still, most of them do not know (31:25). To God belongs what in the heavens and the earth. Indeed, God is the Self-sufficient, the Praiseworthy (31:26). And if that whatever in the earth of trees were pens, and the ocean were (ink), adding to it of its after were seven oceans, God’s words had not run out. Indeed, God is Almighty, Wise (31:27).
Note: Even the disbelievers know that God is a Creator of the heavens and the earth but has failed to praise Him while He has confirmed that all our praise belongs to Him, and He is being Almighty and Wise has given us all His words that we need to praise Him, the Self-sufficient and the Praiseworthy.
God’s signs help a steadfast grateful but not an ungrateful traitor
- Neither is your creation nor is your resurrection except like a single person. Indeed, God is Hearer, Seer (31:28). Do you not see that God causes the night to enter into the day and causes the day to enter into the night, and that He has subjected the sun and the moon, each running for an appointed term, and that God is Cognizant of what you do? (31:29). That is of that God, He is the Truth, and that what they call other than Him is the falsehood, and that God, He is the Most High, the Most Great (31:30). Do you not see that the ships sail in the sea by God’s grace that He may show you of His signs? Indeed, in that surely, there are signs for every steadfast, grateful (31:31). When waves covered them like canopies, they have called God being sincere to Him in the religion. But when He has delivered them to the shore, then of them are moderate. And none denies our revelations except every ungrateful traitor (31:32).
Note: Those who reflect to God’s signs know that He is the truth and to Him is their return, they call Him being sincere in His religion to be steadfast grateful while those who call other than Him is the falsehood, who deny His revelations to be ungrateful traitors.
The worldly life should not deceive us nor should we be deceivers of God
- O people, you shall fear your Lord and shall fear a Day, a father cannot help his son, nor can a son help his father anyway. Certainly, God’s promise is truth. So, do not let the worldly life deceive you nor let the deceiver deceive you about God (31:33).
Note: Here is a warning that a day is surely coming even father cannot help his son nor can son help his father on that day. Thus, the worldly life should not deceive us nor should we be deceivers of God.
God is Knower of whatever is unknown to us
- Indeed, God with Him is the knowledge of the Hour. And He sends down the rain, and He knows what is in the wombs. No soul knows what it will earn tomorrow, nor does any soul know in which land it will die. Indeed, God is Knower, Cognizant (31:34).
Note: For certain events there might have ways to know them but there is no way for us to know when and where we will die.
- Sura Luqmaan is a short sura consisting of 34 verses being the first among 6 Alif.Laam.Meem initialed suras.
- Alif.Laam.Meem is a set of Quranic initials, which is a sign of the wise scripture, a guidance and a mercy for the good-doers. The word, tilka in singular feminine form meaning “this” refers to a set instead of individual Arabic letters indicating a special role in the scripture being feminine form.
- God has defined our ways to become successful with Him – (1) observing Salat, (2) giving Zakat, (3) ascertaining the Hereafter and (4) following His guidance.
- Those who followed baseless Hadiths disregarding God’s revelations behaving like a deaf will be losers and suffer a painful punishment in the Hereafter.
- God has promised for those who believed and have done the righteous deed are gardens of the bliss wherein they will be abiding forever.
- The righteous can reflect to what God has created while the wrongdoers being astray cannot reflect.
- Luqman was given wisdom letting him know that whoever is grateful to God is grateful for himself, and he became grateful to God and advised his son not to associate partners with God as the association of partners with Him is a great injustice.
- God has commanded human being to honor his parents but to avoid them if they insist him on associating partners with Him.
- Luqman informed his son that God knows which is small and where it is, and to observe Salat, and advocate the right and forbid from the evil, and to speak and walk humbly and lower his voice.
- It is a human tragedy that there are those who follow parents blindly without knowledge or accepting guidance and enlightening scripture, the Satan has invited them to the punishment of the Fire.
- God has given us all His words that we need to praise and pray Him but it is unfortunate that we accept words from other sources to corrupt our praise and prayers insisting us on going to astray.
- The sincere in God’s religion are grateful but those who call other than Him are ungrateful traitors.
- A day is surely coming when father cannot help his son nor can son help his father on that day; thus, believing in intercession is a satanic trick to make us losers.
- No soul knows it will earn tomorrow nor does it know in which land it will die.
In conclusion, the straightforward verses in this sura may help us to be righteous like Luqman who was neither a messenger nor a prophet focusing on association of partners with God is great injustice, following parents blindly is a human tragedy, accepting of Hadiths is misguidance, divine words given in the Quran are enough for us to praise and pray God, concept of intercession is a satanic trick and interpretation of Quranic initials reflecting to grammatic forms and understanding of their multiple roles.
Peaceful Friday, salaam and God bless.