Oath of God
- (I swear by) Ha. Meem (40:1).
Note: Ha.Meem is a set of Quranic initials, which is an oath of God while this set of Quranic Initials occurs at certain frequencies in 7 Ha.Meem initialed surahs in the Quran as shown in the table below:
Source: H.M. count obtained from https://www.masjidtucson.org/publications/books/vp/fact31.pdf
A revelation from God, the Almighty, the Knower
- A revelation of the scripture is from God, the Almighty, the Knower (40:2). Forgiver of the sin, Acceptor of the repentance, severe in the punishment, possessor of the abundance. There is no other god except Him. To Him is the final return (40:3).
Note: By taking oath referring to Ha.Meem, God has affirmed that this scripture is from God, the Almighty, the Wise, confirming that there is no other god except Him to Whom is our final return.
God’s promise about the disbelievers to be dwellers of the Fire
- None disputes in God’s revelations except those who have disbelieved. So their activity in the cities should not deceive you (prophet) (40:4). Had denied before them Noah’s people and the parties after them, and has plotted every community against their messenger that they can seize him, and they had disputed with the falsehood that they can disapprove the truth with it. So, I had seized them; then how had been My punishment (40:5)? And thus that your Lord’s word has become true upon those who have disbelieved that they are dwellers of the Fire (40:6).
Note: None but the disbelievers dispute in God’s revelations with the falsehood to defeat the truth. Thus, God has cited examples with the dibelieving people of Noah and the people after them who have been destroyed are destined to be the dwellers of the Fire.
Prayer of the angels for the believers on a day of Judgment
- Those who bear the Throne and whoever around it glorify with praise of their Lord, and believe in Him, and they ask forgiveness for those who have believed: “Our Lord, You have encompassed everything by mercy and knowledge, so forgive those who have repented and have followed Your path, and spare them punishment of the Hellfire (40:7). Our Lord, and admit them into gardens of Eden, which You have promised them and whoever has done as righteous among their parents, their spouses, and their offspring. Indeed, You are the Almighty, the Wise (40:8). And protect them from the evils, and whoever You protect from the evils, that day is certainly, You have mercy on him, and that is for him is the greatest success.” (40:9).
Note: The angels ask God’s forgiveness for the believers as well as to protect them from the evils to have His mercy on that day, which is the greatest success for them.
God has greater hatred for the disbelievers
- Indeed, those who have disbelieved will be announced to them, “Certainly, God’s hatred is greater than your hatred of yourselves when you were called to the faith, then you disbelieved (40:10). They said, “Our Lord, You have given us death twice and You have given us life twice; so we have confessed of our sins, then is there any way towards exit?” (40:11). That is of that when it had been called God alone, you disbelieved, and if it were associated with Him, you believed. So, the judgment belongs to God, the High, the Great (40:12).
Note: On a day of the Judgment it will be announced that God has greater hatred for the disbelievers who have been given two deaths as they had associated with Him.
God’s signs to warn His servants about a day of the Meeting
- He is the One who shows you His signs and sends down for you provision from the sky. And he does not take heed except whoever turns (40:13). So, you shall call God being sincere to Him in the religion even though the disbelievers dislike (40:14). He is raised of the highest ranks being Owner of the Throne. He places the inspiration of His command upon whomever He wills of His servants to warn a day of the Meeting (40:15).
Note: God is the One who shows us His signs and sends down provision for all of us that we turn to Him and call Him being sincere to Him in the religion as He is Owner of the Throne raised of the highest ranks, Who inspires His command upon whomever He wills to warn about a day of the Meeting. Thus, none can reflect to a day of the Meeting except God’s inspiration.
God will judge with the truth on a day of the Meeting
- A day they will be the exposed; none can hide anything from God. To Whom belongs the sovereignty of the day? To God, the One, the Supreme (40:16). The day every soul will be recompensed for whatever it has earned. The day there will be no injustice. Indeed, God is efficient in the reckoning (40:17). You shall warn them a day of the Approaching, when the hearts are choked at the throats; there will be no intimate friend for the wrongdoers nor is an intercessor obeyed (40:18). He knows deceitful of the glance, and what conceals of the breasts (40:19). And God judges with the truth, while those whom they invoke other than Him, they cannot judge with anything. Indeed, God – He is the Hearer, the Seer (40:20).
Note: On a day of the Meeting all sovereignty belongs to God and He will recompense every soul for whatever it has earned without injustice, and there is no intercession on that day while He knows the deceitful vision and what is concealed in the breasts.
A warning for those who disbelieved in the Quran given to Muhammad
- Do they not travel in the land that they see how had been an end of those who had been before them? They had been stronger than them in strength and defenses in the earth, while God seized them of their sins, and there had been no protector for them against God (40:21). That was of that there had come to them their messengers with the clear proofs, when they disbelieved. So, God had seized them. Indeed, He is strong in the severe punishment (40:22).
Note: God has punished the stronger communities in the past as they disbelieved their messengers came to them with the clear proofs.
Moses vs Pharaoh and his advisers
- And certainly, we sent Moses with our signs and a clear authority (40:23). To Pharaoh, Haman, and Qarun, while they said, “A magician, a liar.” (40:24). Then when he had brought to them with the truth from us, they said, “Kill sons of those who have believed with him, and spare their women.” And it was not a plot of the disbelievers except in error (40:25). Pharaoh said, “Leave me, I will kill Moses, and let him call his Lord. Indeed, I fear that he will change your religion, or that he may cause to spread the corruption in the land.” (40:26). Moses said, “I have sought refuge in my Lord and your Lord, from every arrogant one who does not believe in a day of the Reckoning.” (40:27).
Note: Moses had been sent with signs and authority to Pharaoh, Haman and Qarun and they said him magician and liar, and Pharaoh declared that he would kill Moses as he will spread the corruption in the earth while Moses had sought refuge in God from every arrogant who did not believe in a day of the Reckoning.
A believing man from Pharaoh’s people
- And a believing man from Pharaoh’s people concealing his faith said: “Will you kill a man (Moses) that he says: ‘My Lord is God’, and indeed, he has come to you with the clear proofs from your Lord? And if he is a liar, then his lie will be upon him, and if he is truthful, some of which he threatens you will strike you. Indeed, God does not guide whoever he is a transgressor, a liar.” (40:28). O my people, today to you belongs the kingdom being dominant in the earth, then who will help us against God’s punishment if it has come to us?” Pharaoh said, “I do not show you except what I see and I do not guide you except the right path.” (40:29). Said the one who had believed, “O my people, indeed, I fear for you like a day of the parties (40:30). “Like plight of Noah’s people, and Ad, and Thamud, and those after them. God does not wish injustice for the servants (40:31). “O my people, I fear for you a day of the Calling (40:32). A day you will turn around fleeing – there is no protector for you against God. And whomever God lets go astray, then there is no guide for him.” (40:33). And certainly, had come to you before Joseph with the clear proofs, then you could not have ceased in doubt about what he had brought to you with him until when he had died, you said, “God will not raise a messenger after himself. Thus that God lets go astray whoever is a doubtful transgressor (40:34).
Note: A believer from Pharaoh’s people said to his people that you would kill someone who said my Lord is God and has come with the clear proofs when Pharaoh declared to kill Moses while he also said to them that I fear for you a day of the Calling as there is no protector for those who have been sent astray by God. The disbelievers before them also said that God would not raise any messenger after Joseph, thus God sends astray those who are transgressors and doubters.
Pharaoh’s people will see on the Fire day and night until a day of the Hour
- Those who dispute about God’s revelations without having any authority has come to them, has been a great hate to God and to those who have believed. Thus that God places a seal around every heart of a tyrant arrogant (40:35). Pharaoh said, “O Haman, build for me a tower that I may reach the ways (40:36). The ways of the heavens that I may look at Moses’ god, and indeed, I certainly think him a liar.” Thus that it has been made fair-seeming to Pharaoh of his evil deed, and he has been averted from the path. And Pharaoh’s plot was not except in ruin (40:37). Said the one who had believed, “O my people, follow me and I will guide you to the right path (40:38). “O my people, this – the life of the world is only an enjoyment, while indeed, the Hereafter – it is the permanent home.” (40:39). Whoever has done an evil, then he will not be compensated except like of it, and whoever has done as righteous of male or female, while he is a believer, then those will enter the Paradise, they will be given provision without any account (40:40). “O my people, what is for me is I invite you to the salvation, while you invite me to the Fire (40:41). “You invite me that I disbelieve in God and associate with Him which has not been any knowledge of it, and I invite you to the Almighty, the Forgiving (40:42). “There is no doubt that what you invite me to it has not been a claim for it in the world, nor in the Hereafter, and that our return to God, and that the transgressors – they are companions of the Fire (40:43). So, you shall remember what I say to you and I entrust my affair to God. Indeed, God is Seer of the servants.” (40:44). So God has protected him from evils, what they plotted and has enveloped by the people of Pharaoh of the worst punishment (40:45). The Fire, they see on it morning and evening, and a day establishes the Hour: “Admit Pharaoh’s people into the worst retribution.” (40:46).
Note: God protected a believer from the people of Pharaoh, who invited the people to the salvation, and to the Almighty, the Forgiving while his people invited him to disbelieve in God and associate with Him. While those who have died as disbelievers will see on the Fire day and night until a day of the Hour when they will enter the worst retribution.
Suffering in Hell for disregarding call of messengers came with clear proofs
- And when they will dispute in the Fire, then will say the followers to those who had been leaders, ”Indeed, we had been followers for you, so can you avert from us a portion of the Fire?” (40:47). Those who had been arrogant said, “We are all in it; indeed, God has certainly judged between the slaves.” (40:48). And said those who are in the Fire to guardians of Hell, “Call upon your Lord to lighten for us a day of the punishment.” (40:49). They said, “Did not come to you your messengers with the clear proofs?” They (those are in Hell) said, “Yes”. They said, “Then call, while a call of the disbelievers is not except in vain.” (40:50). Indeed, we surely support our messengers and those who have believed during the life of the world and a day will stand the witnesses (40:51). A day will not benefit the wrongdoers of their excuse, and for them is the curse and for them is the worst abode (40:52).
Note: In the Hell, the followers will ask their leaders to bear a portion of the Fire from them when the leaders will say we all are in it being judged by God. The dwellers of Hell will ask guardians of Hell to call upon their Lord to lighten their punishment even for a day while they will say your messengers came to you with the clear proofs but you had disregarded their call – there is no excuse for the wrongdoers.
Scripture is only source of clarifying any disputes between people
- And certainly, we have given Moses the guidance, and we have made the scripture inherit to Children of Israel (40:53). A guide and a reminder for those of understanding (40:54). So, you (Muhammad) shall be patient; indeed, God’s promise is true, and you shall ask forgiveness for your sin and shall glorify with praise your Lord in the evening and the morning (40:55). Indeed, those who dispute about God’s revelations without any authority has come to them, is not in their breasts except greatness – they are not of those reaching it. So, you shall seek refuge in God. Indeed, He is the Hearer, the Seer (40:56).
Note: A guidance from God has been a guide and a reminder for the people and those who dispute in His revelations do it not to have them in their breasts, even they may express greatness of it.
God is our Lord and there is no god except He
- Surely, creation of the heavens and the earth is greater than creation of the human being, but most people do not know (40:57). And it does not equal the blind and the seeing, nor the evildoers and those who have believed as well as have done the righteous deeds. Little is what you reflect (40:58). Indeed, the Hour is surely coming; there is no doubt about it, but most people do not believe (40:59). And your Lord said, “Call upon Me and I will respond to you. Indeed, those who would be proud to worship Me will enter Hell in humiliation.” (40:60). God is the One who has made the night for you that you can rest in it, and the day lighted. Indeed, God is surely, possessor of bounty for the people, but most people do not appreciate (40:61). That is God your Lord, Creator of all things. There is no god except He. How are you deviated? (40:62). Thus that is deluded of those who have been with God’s revelations are rejecting (40:63).
Note: God has created all things and has sent down His revelations for people to believe and to do the righteous deeds but those who are proud to call upon Him will enter the Hell in humiliation as there no god except Him while He has warned them that the Hour is surely coming.
God is our Creator who decrees whatever He wills
- God is the One who has made the earth habitation for you, and the sky a canopy, and He has shaped you and has perfected your shapes, and He has provided you with the good provisions. That is God, your Lord. So blessed is God, Lord of the worlds (40:64). He is the Living; there is no god except He. So, you shall call Him being sincere to Him in the religion. All praise to God, Lord of the worlds (40:65). Say, “Indeed me (Muhammad), I have been forbidden that I worship those whom you call other than God, when has come to me the clear proofs from my Lord, and I have been commanded that I submit to Lord of the worlds.” (40:66). He is the One who has created you from dust, then from semen, then from embryo, then He brings you out as child, then He lets you reach your maturity, then He lets you be old; while from you there is whoever is put to death earlier and He lets you reach a specified term, and that you may understand (40:67). He is the One who gives life and causes death. So when He has decreed a matter, then He only says to it, “Be,” so it is (40:68).”
Note: God has made the human being with best shape and has given provision in the earth that they may call Him being sincere to Him in the religion given by Him, and Muhammad has been commanded to avoid the idol worshiping and to submit to Lord of the worlds, Who gives life and causes death, and decrees a matter with His command.
Consequences of those who turn away from God’s revelations
- Do not you see to those who dispute about God’s revelations? How are they turned away? (40:69). Those who had denied in the scripture, and in what we had sent our messengers with it that they will know soon (40:70). When the shackles around their necks and the chains, they will be dragged (40:71). In the boiling water, then in the Fire, they will be burned (40:72). Then it has been said to them, “Where is that which you have done to associate (40:73), other than God?” They said, “They have departed from us. Nay! We do not call anything.” Thus that God sends the disbelievers astray (40:74). That was of what you have done to rejoice in the earth without the truth, and of what you have done to be insolent (40:75). Enter gates of Hell, are abiding forever in it, so has been a miserable abode for the arrogant ones (40:76).
Note: Those who dispute in God’s revelations and turn away from them will be in the Fire to burn in it entering through the gates of Hell for abiding therein forever as they rejoice in the earth without truth.
God’s judgment with the truth
- You shall be patient, indeed, God’s promise is truth. So whether we show you some of what we have promised for them, or we cause you to die, then to us, they will be returned (40:77). And certainly, we have sent messengers before yourself (prophet). Of them there are whoever we have narrated through you, and of them there are whoever we do not narrate through you. And it has not been for any messenger that he comes with a sign except by permission of God. So, when has come God’s command, it has been decided with the truth and there has lost the falsifiers (40:78)
Note: God has sent down many messengers before Muhammad, which has been confirmed through the Quran given to him while His judgment will be done with the truth and the falsifiers will be losers.
There are signs around us to reflect to benefit us
- God is the One who has made the livestock for you that you may ride on some of them and some of them you may eat (40:79). And for you there are benefits in them and that you may meet a desire in your breasts through them; and on them and on the ships, you are carried (40:80). And He shows you His signs, then which of God’s signs will you deny? (40:81). Do they not travel in the earth and see how has been end of those who were of their before? They have been greater in number than them and mightier in strength and possessions in the earth, so has not availed from them for what they have done to earn (40:82).
Note: There are signs of God around us that we can benefit us reflecting to them while the mightier communities before us could not escape the punishment of God.
Believing will not benefit the disbelievers when they see the punishment
- Then when had come to them their messengers with the clear proofs, they rejoiced in what is with themselves of the knowledge, and enveloped them with what they had done to mock with it (40:83). Then when they had seen our punishment, they said, “We have believed in God Alone, and we have disbelieved in what we have been idolaters with Him.” (40:84). Then their belief did not benefit them when they have seen our punishment. That is God’s system which has certainly preceded with His servants, and has lost there the disbelievers (40:85).
Note: It is God’s system that believing in Him alone will not benefit the disbelievers when they see His punishment while they have mocked the messengers came to them with the clear proofs.
In brief, the messengers sent with the clear proofs and scripture clarifies the disputes between people, consequences of denying God’s revelations is Hell, the idol worshipers are given opportunity to be forgiven, those who die as disbelievers see them on the Fire day and night until the Hour to enter the worst retribution, believing in God alone will not benefit when see punishment, and His judgment with the truth without intercession.
Peaceful Friday, salaam and God bless.