Surah Bara`ah is very significant in different aspects. Out of 114 Surahs in the Quran in 1 Surah the Bismillah at the beginning of the Surah (1:1) and in another Surah the Bismillah inside the Surah (27:30) are numbered verses, and in 112 Surahs the Bismillah are unnumbered verses while the Bismillah is missing in Surah Bara`ah at the beginning, even there is contradiction about its name, which is confirmed to be Bara`ah not Al-Tawbah, and this Surah has been tempered by including 2 verses at the end and the Surah consists of 127 verses not of 129 verses, which has also been confirmed. However, the following table gives a fact that in Surah Al-Fatehah the Bismillah is a first verse while the extra Bismillah is a numbered verse inside the Surah Al-Naml being total number of Bismillah equal to the total number of Surahs in the Quran [2 + 112 = 114 = 19×6], a proof of mathematical coding of Quran:
Note: The sum of the total of surah and verse numbers of 2 numbered Bismillah (1:1 and 27:30) in the Quran and the total no of unnumbered Bismillah (112) in the Quran is multiple of 19 being a Quran’s code is a physical proof that Bismillah is omitted at the beginning of the surah Bara`ah according to God’s will and the first verse of surah Al-Fatehah is Bismillah in which there should not be any doubt about it even some of us may differ about it.
Here is the English translation of surah Bara`ah (Surah 9) with sub titles reflecting to its Arabic text and grammar to better understand the message in the surah.
Ultimatum to the idol worshippers on a great day of Hajj
- An ultimatum from God and His messenger to those whom you have made a treaty of the idol worshipers (9:1). That you shall travel in the land for four months and shall know that you have no escape from God, and that God is a Disgracer of the disbelievers (9:2). An announcement from God and His messenger to the people on a day of the great pilgrimage that God is free of any obligation to the idol worshipers and so is His messenger. So, if you have repented, then it is best for you, while if you have turned away, then you shall know that you have no escape from God. And you (messenger) shall give a news of a painful retribution to those who have disbelieved (9:3). Except those of the idol worshipers with whom you have a treaty then they have not failed you in anything and have not supported anyone against you. Then you shall fulfill to them their treaty until their term. Indeed, God loves the righteous (9:4).
Note: There has been an announcement on a day of Hajj that the idol worshippers can travel four months freely if they have made a treaty with the believers, while it is best for them if they have repented but if they turned away, they cannot escape from God.
Fighting when four months have passed and expired the treaty
- Then when has passed the sacred months, then you shall kill the idol worshipers wherever you have found them, and shall seize them, and shall surround them, and shall ambush for them at every place of ambush. Then if they have repented and have established the salat prayer and have given the zakat, then you shall leave their way. Indeed, God is Forgiving, Merciful (9:5). And if one of the idol worshipers has sought your (prophet) protection, you shall grant him protection until he hears God’s word, then you shall escort him to his place of security. That is of that they are a people who do not know (9:6). How would it be for the idol worshipers of a treaty with God and His messenger except those whom you have made a treaty at the Sacred Masjid? As long as they have been straight to you, so long you shall be straight to them. Indeed, God loves the righteous (9:7).
Note: The believers shall fight against the idol worshippers when the four months have passed and expired the treaty, and will do what they can do to establish a religion for God but if they have repented and have observed the salat prayers, they should be let them go. However, if they have made any treaty with the idol worshippers at the Sacred Masjid will fulfill it as long as they fulfill it as God loves the righteous.
Those who come over disregarding kinship or covenant are disobedient
- How would it be, while if they come over you not regarding of kinship with you, nor any covenant? They satisfy you with their mouths, while it refuses their hearts, and most of them are disobedient (9:8).They have exchanged of God’s revelations for a little price, so they have hindered from His path. Indeed, it has been evil for them what they have committed to do (9:9). They do not regard kinship towards any believer, nor any covenant; and those – they are the transgressors (9:10). But if they have repented and have established the salat prayer and have given the zakat, then they are your brethren in the religion. And we explain the revelations for a people who know (9:11).
Note: Those who come over the believers disregarding kinship or covenant trying to please with their mouths as well as exchange God’s revelations with a little price and hinder from His path are the transgressors while if they establish salat prayer and pay zakat, they are brothers in the religion.
The believers should only fear God
- If they have broken their oaths after their treaty, and have defamed about your religion, then you shall fight leaders of the disbelief. Indeed, they – there no oaths for them that they may refrain (9:12). Would you not fight a people who have broken their oaths, and have determined to drive out the messenger, and they have attacked you first? Do you fear them? While God is more worthy that you should fear Him, if you have been believers (9:13). You shall fight them, God will punish them by your hands, and will disgrace them, and will give you victory over them, and will heal breasts of a people who are believers (9:14), and will remove anger from their hearts. And God accepts repentance of whomever He wills. And God is Knower, Wise (9:15).
Note: Those who are believers will fight those who have broken their oaths and have defamed their religion and have determined to drive out the prophet as God wants to punish them by the hands of the believers while He will give victory over them and will heal the breasts of a people who are believers and will remove anger in their hearts.
Idol worshippers are witnesses of their own disbelief
- Or have you thought that you would be left, while God would not make evident of those who have strived among you, nor do they take other than God nor His messenger nor the believers as intimates? And God is Cognizant of what you do (9:16). It has not been for the idol worshipers that they maintain God’s masjids, are witnesses against themselves of the disbelief. Those – has been worthless of their deeds, and in the Fire they will be dwellers (9:17). Only he maintains God’s masjids whoever has believed in God and the Last Day, and has established the salat prayer, and has given the zakat, and does not fear except God. Then it may have been those that they would be among the guided ones (9:18).
Note: God has made it evident that those who are striving in His cause among the people taking Him as God being intimates with His messenger and the believers. Even though the idol worshippers are maintaining God’s Masjid but have made worthless of their deeds because of their disbelief will be abiding in the Fire forever. On the other hand, those who are maintaining God’s masjids believing in God and Last Day, establishing salat prayers, and giving zakah, do not fear except God would be the guided ones.
With God there is a great reward
- Have you made watering to the pilgrims and taking care of the Sacred Masjid like whoever has believed in God, and the Last Day, and has strived in God’s path? They do not equal with God, and God does not guide the wicked people (9:19). Those who have believed, and have emigrated, and strived in God’s path with their wealth and their lives, are much greater in rank with God, and those – they are the successful ones (9:20). Their Lord gives them good news of mercy and acceptance from Him, and gardens for them – in it there is everlasting bliss (9:21). They will be abiding in it forever. Indeed, God – with Him there is a great reward (9:22).
Note: The believers who have only done the righteous deeds as specified by God will receive His mercy and acceptance to enter in the Paradise as a great reward from Him.
The people with whom the believers should not make allies
- O you who have believed, you do not take your fathers and your brothers as allies, if they have preferred the disbelief over the belief. And whoever takes them as allies among you, then those – they are the wrongdoers (9:23). Say, “If it has been your fathers, and your sons, and your brothers, and your spouses, and your relatives, and wealth you have earned it, and the commerce you fear its decline, and homes you delight them are more beloved to you than God, and His messenger, and striving in His path, then you shall wait until God brings by His command.” And God does not guide the people who are the disobedient (9:24).
Note: The believers must prefer the belief over the disbelief, and would not make allies with the wrongdoing and disobedient people even they are their fathers, brothers, sons, spouses and relatives.
Victory comes from God not from a great number of forces
- Certainly, God has helped you in many battles, while a day of Hunain when had pleased you your great number that it does not help you anything, and had straitened the earth for you even of its vastness, then you had turned back fleeing (9:25). Then God has sent down His tranquility upon His messenger and upon the believers. And He has sent down forces you do not see them, while He has punished those who have disbelieved, and that is a reward of the disbelievers (9:26). Then God accepts repentance after that for whomever He wills, and God is Forgiving, Merciful (9:27).
Note: When the believers fought against the disbelievers being pleased with a great number could not bring victory for them but the victory came for them from God when He sent invisible soldiers to fight with them along with sending tranquility upon His messenger and the believers.
Preventing the idol worshippers to enter the Sacred Masjid
- O you who have believed, the idol worshipers being impure, that they will not come to the Sacred Masjid after their year of this. And if you have feared loss of income, then God will enrich you from His bounty, if He wills. Indeed, God is Knower, Wise (9:28). You shall fight those who do not believe in God, nor in the Last Day, nor do they forbid what God has forbidden and His messenger, nor do they acknowledge a religion of the truth from those who have been given the scripture until they pay the tax from willingness, while they are subdued (9:29).
Note: The believers will fight the idol worshippers to prevent them to enter the Sacred Masjid being impure and also those who do not believe in God, and Last Day, and do not make unlawful what God has made unlawful, and also those who do not acknowledge a religion of the truth from the people of scripture who do not pay taxes.
Association of partners with God is to extinguish His light by mouth
- And said the Jews, “Ezra is a son of God,” and said the Christians, “The Messiah is a son of God!” That is their saying with their mouths. They imitate the saying of those who had disbelieved before. God had destroyed them. How were they deluded (9:30)? They have taken their rabbis and monks as lords other than God, and the Messiah, son of Mary, while they have not been commanded except that they should worship One god. There is no god except He. Glory is His of what they associate (with Him) (9:31). They want that they extinguish God’s light with their mouths, while God refuses except that He perfects His light, even if the disbelievers dislike (9:32). He is the One who has sent His messenger with the guidance and a religion of the truth that He would make it prevail over the religion of any of it, even if has disliked the idol worshipers (9:33).
Note: Extinguishment of God’s light by associating partners with Him and taking of the religious leaders and clergymen as lords, who take people’s money with the falsehood and hinder from God’s path making them stingy in spending from their wealth are horrendous crimes, which can be overcome if we would practice religion following a guidance and a religion of the truth God has sent down with His messenger.
Punishment for consuming people’s money and hoarding of gold and silver
- O you who have believed, indeed, many of the rabbis and the monks surely consume the people’s wealth with the falsehood and they hinder from God’s path. And those who hoard the gold and the silver, while they do not spend them in God’s path, so you shall give them a news of a painful punishment (9:34). A day, there will heat on it in a fire of Hell, then will brand with it their foreheads, and their flanks, and their backs: “This is what you had hoarded for yourselves, so you shall taste what you have done to hoard.” (9:35).
Note: God has warned us about consuming people’s money illicitly and hoarding of wealth instead of spending it in His path, and has given an example of punishment with the hoarded gold and silver, which will be used to brand foreheads, sides and backs of those who have hoarded them heating in the fire of Hell.
Changing of sacred months is a sign of disbelief
- Indeed, a number of the months with God is twelve-month in God’s ordinance, a day He has created the heavens and the earth. Among them four are sacred. That is the established religion; so you do not wrong yourselves in them. But you shall fight the idol worshipers all together as they fight you, and shall know that God is with the righteous (9:36). The postponement is only an increase in the disbelief is led astray by it of those who have disbelieved. They make it lawful one year and make it unlawful one year that they adjust a number, what God has made unlawful, thus making lawful what God has made unlawful. It is made fair-seeming to them evil of their deeds, while God does not guide the people who are the disbelievers (9:37).
Note: Fighting is prohibited in four sacred months unless the disbelievers attack the believers while changing of sacred months is disbelieving because of what God has made unlawful making it lawful. It is unfortunate to mention that the so called Muslim community has corrupted the sacred months changing them with the regular months from Zul-Hijjah, Muharram, Rabi I and Rabi II (12th, 1st, 2nd, 3rd) to Rajab, Zul-Qi’dah, Zul-Hijjah, and Muharram (7th, 11th, 12th, 1st months), while God has decreed Hajj during the sacred months making fighting a sacrilege in them.
Commandment for the believers to fight in the God’s path
- O you who have believed, what is the matter for you when it has been said to you, “You shall go forth in God’s path,” you have clung to the ground? Have you been pleased with the life of the world than the Hereafter? But what is an enjoyment of the life of the world than the Hereafter is but a little (9:38). If you do not go forth, He will punish you a painful punishment, and will replace you with a people other than yourselves, and you cannot harm Him in anything. And God has power over everything (9:39. If you do not help him (prophet), then certainly God has helped him. When has driven him out those who had disbelieved, he was second of the two. When they both were in the cave, he says to his companion (Abu Bakr), “ Don’t not grieve, indeed, God is with us.” Then God sent down His tranquility upon him, and supported him with forces you do not see them, and made the lowly a word of those who had disbelieved, while God’s word is the high, and God is Almighty, Wise (9:40).
Note: God has commanded the believers to fight against the disbelievers to help the prophet, even if they do not help him He will him what He has done when he has been in the cave with companion. While we know that He is our Protector, the best Protector and the best Helper.
Those who make excuses to participate in fighting are disbelievers
- You shall go forth whether light or heavy (weapons), and shall strive with your wealth and your lives in God’s path. That is better for you, if you have acted to know (9:41). If it had been a gain near and a journey would be an easy, surely, they would have followed you, but the distance has been long for them. And they will swear by God: “If we have been able, surely, we would have come forth with yourselves.” They harm themselves, while God knows that indeed, they are surely liars (9:42). God has pardoned from you: why have you granted leave for them until it is evident to you those who have been truthful and you know the liars? (9:43). Would not ask your permission those who believe in God and the Last Day that they strive with their wealth and their lives. And God is Knower of the righteous (9:44). Only would ask your permission those who do not believe in God and the Last Day and have doubted their hearts. So they in their hearts they waver (9:45). And if they had wished the going forth, surely they would have prepared for it a preparation. But God has disliked their participation, so He has made them lag behind, and has been said, “Sit with those who sit.” (9:46). If they had gone forth with you, they would not have increased you except confusion, and would have been active in your midst seeking for you dissension. And among you there are listeners to them, and God is Knower of the wrongdoers (9:47). Certainly, they had sought dissension before and had turned the matters for you until had come the truth and had become evident God’s command, while they are dislikers (9:48). And among them whoever says, “Give me permission, and it would not put me to a test” Of course, they have fallen in the test; indeed, Hell is surrounding of the disbelievers (9:49).
Note: God has commanded the believers to fight against the disbelievers in His path with whatever they have but it exposes the liars and the truthful ones from the believers for their dissension.
The disbelievers want to see the prophet in distress
- If befalls you (prophet) a good, it distresses them, while if befalls you an adversity, they say, “We have taken our matter before,” and they turn away while they are rejoicing (9:50). Say, “Nothing befalls us except what God has decreed for us; He is our Protector, and upon God should put trust the believers.” (9:51). Say, “Would you await for us except one of two best, while we await for you that God will afflict you with a punishment from Him, or by our hands? So, you shall wait; indeed, we are waiting with yourselves.” (9:52).
Note: The disbelievers wish to see the prophet to be a loser but nothing happens to us except what God wills being our Protector while He has punished them by the hands of the believers who fight against them until victory or to be martyrs.
Good deeds from the disobedient are not acceptable to God
- Say, “Spend in willingness or unwillingness, will not be accepted from you; indeed, you have been a people who are disobedient.” (9:53). And what has prevented them that their spending is not accepted from them except that they have disbelieved in God and in His messenger, nor do they come to the Contact Prayer (al-salata) except while they are lazy, nor do they spend except while they are unwilling (9:54). So it should not impress you (prophet) of their wealth, nor their children. God only intends to punish them with it (wealth or children) in the life of the world, and to depart their souls while they are disbelievers (9:55).
Note: Good deeds from those who do not believe in God and His messenger are not accepted by God and what has been given to them in the earth to punish them with it while their souls depart being the disbelievers. Thus, those of us who are doing good deeds should verify to confirm that their deeds are being accepted by God.
Recipients of charities
- They swear by Gd that they are surely with you, while they are not with you; but they are a people who do not fear (God) (9:56). If they could find a refuge, or caves, or a place to enter, they would have turned to it, while they would run wild (9:57). And among them whoever criticizes about the charities, then if they have been given from it, they have been pleased, but if they have not been given from it, then they become displeased (9:58). And if that they had been satisfied with what God has given them and His messenger, and they would have said, “Our sufficiency is God; God will give us from His bounties and His messenger. Indeed, we are turning hopes to God.” (9:59). The charities are only for the poor, the needy, the collectors of them, those who are inclined to their hearts, and in freeing of the slaves, and for the debtors, and in God’s path, and for the traveling alien – an ordinance from God. And God is Knower, Wise (9:60). And among them those who hurt the prophet, and they say, “He is all ears!” Say, “All ears is good for you. He believes in God, and he has trust for the believers and has mercy for those who have believed among you.” And those who hurt God’s messenger, for them there is a painful punishment (9:61).
Note: There were those who had pretended that they have been with the messenger and among them there were those who criticize about the charities; when they have given them from the charities they were pleased but when they have not been given them from the charities they were displeased while God has specified the recipients of the charities – the poor, the needy, the collectors of them, those who are inclined to their hearts, in freeing of the slaves, the debtors, the travelling alien and being in God’s path.
The believers should please God
- They swear by God to you that they can please you, while God and His messenger are more worthy that they should please Him, if they have been believers (9:62). Do they not know that anyone whoever opposes God and His messenger, is that a fire of Hell for him being a dweller in it? That is the greatest humiliation (9:63).
Note: The believers make efforts that they please God and His messenger not the other believers.
The hypocrites and the disbelievers will suffer enduring punishment
- The hypocrites fear that a surah may be revealed about them to inform them of what is in their hearts. Say, “Mock; indeed, God will bring forth what you are fearing.” (9:64). And if you have asked them, surely, they would say, “We have only done to talk and to play.” Say, “Is it with God, and His revelations, and His messenger you have done to mock?” (9:65). You do not make excuse; certainly, you have disbelieved after your belief. If we pardon of a party among you, we will punish a party because of that they have been criminals (9:66). The hypocrite men and the hypocrite women are one with another. They enjoin with the evil and forbid from the right, and they withhold their hands. They have forgot God, so He has forgot them. Indeed, the hypocrites – they are the disobedient (9:67). God has promised the hypocrite men and the hypocrite women, and the disbelievers, fire of Hell, are abiding in it forever. It is their sufficiency, while God has cursed them, and for them punishment is enduring (9:68).
Note: The hypocrites mock regarding a revelation of a surah about them what is in their hearts. They do not understand that they are mocking about God and His revelations and His messenger. God has promised the hypocrites men and the hypocrites women and the disbelievers Hell wherein they will be abiding forever.
The hypocrites and disbelievers make their deeds worthless
- Like those who were of your before had been mightier than you in strength and abundance of wealth and children. So they had enjoyed of their portion as you have enjoyed of your portion like had enjoyed those of their portion of your before, and you have indulged like the one who had indulged. Those – has made worthless of their deeds in the world as well as in the Hereafter, and those – they are the losers (9:69). Does not come to them a news of those who were of their before a people of Noah, and Aad, and Thamud, and a people of Abraham, and dwellers of Madyan, and the overturned towns? Had come to them their messengers with the clear proofs. Then it has not been God that He would wrong them rather they had done to wrong to themselves (9:70).
Note: The hypocrites and the disbelievers may reflect to the destruction of past communities that they do not make their deeds worthless to suffer in the world as well as in the Hereafter while God had not done anything wrong to them but they had done wrong to themselves.
How can succeed the believing men and women
- And the believing men and the believing women – one of them are allies to other. They enjoin to the right and forbid from the evil, and they establish the salat prayer and give the zakat, and they obey God and His messenger. Those – God will have mercy on them; indeed, God is Almighty, Wise (9:71). God has promised the believing men and the believing women gardens flowing the rivers of their underneath, are abiding therein forever, and blessed dwellings in gardens of Eden, while a pleasure from God is greater; that – it is the great success (9:72).
Note: The believing men and women can admit to the Paradise being allies to each other, and enjoining to the right and forbidding from the wrong, and observing salat prayer and giving zakah, while the salat prayer is the prime source of nourishing our souls and what we ask to our Lord in the prayer is to guide us to the straight path through praising and glorifying Him.
Dealing with hypocrites and disbelievers when their destination is Hell
- O you prophet, you shall strive against the disbelievers and the hypocrites, and shall be stern on them. And their abode is Hell and it has been miserable is the destination (9:73). They swear by God that they have not said, while certainly, they have said a word of the disbelief, and they have disbelieved after their submission and have planned of what they could not attain. And they had not resented except that God would enrich them and His messenger from His bounty. So, if they repent, it would be better for them, and if they turn away, God will punish them a painful punishment in the world and in the Hereafter. And for them in the earth there is no protector nor a helper (9:74). And among them who has pledged to God: “If He gives us from His bounty, surely, we will give charity and surely, we will be with the righteous.” (9:75). Then when He had given them from His bounty, they became stingy with it, and turned away while they were averse (9:76). So He requited them with hypocrisy in their hearts until a day they will meet Him, because of that they broke with God what they had promised to Him, and because they had done to lie (9:77). Do they not know that God knows their secrets and their conspiracies, and that God is Knower of the unseen? (9:78). Those who criticize those who among the believers give much to the charities; and those who do not find except their effort, so they ridicule of them; God will ridicule of them, and for them there is a painful punishment (9:79).
Note: Prophet and the believers were asked to be stern on the hypocrites and disbelievers as their destination is Hell for what they have said is disbelief but they do not recognize it and what they have planned cannot attain. In addition, what they have promised to God do not fulfill it and criticize those who give much to the charities and those who cannot give enough to the charities.
It has been decreed to believe in God and His messenger
- Whether you (prophet) ask forgiveness for them, or you do not ask forgiveness for them, if you ask forgiveness for them seventy times, then God will not forgive for them. That is of that they have disbelieved in God and His messenger, and God does not guide the people who are the wicked (9:80).
Note: Anyone whoever expects God’s forgiveness must believe in God and His message given to the prophet for which he is a messenger while He does not guide the disobedient people.
The hypocrites and disbelievers rejoice their staying behind
- There has rejoiced those being remained behind in their staying behind a messenger of God, and they have disliked to strive with their wealth and their lives in God’s path, while they said, “You do not go forth in the heat.” Say, “Fire in Hell has more intense heat,” if they would have done to understand (9:81). So they may laugh a little, while they will cry much for a recompense of what they have done to earn (9:82). So if God has returned you to a group of them, then they ask you permission to go out, then say, “You will not come out with me ever, nor will you fight with me against any enemy. Indeed, you have been satisfied with sitting first time, so you shall sit with those who are staying behind.” (9:83). And let not pray at burial upon any of them ever, who has died, nor do you stand by his grave. Indeed, they have disbelieved in God and His messenger, and have died while they were disobedient (9:84). Nor do you impress by their wealth and their children; God only intends to punish them with it in the world, and will depart their souls while they are disbelievers (9:85). When has been revealed a surah that you shall believe in God and shall strive with His messenger, has asked your permission possessors of wealth among them and said, “Let us to be with those who sit.” (9:86). They have been satisfied with that they would be with those who are staying behind, and has been sealed upon their hearts that they do not understand (9:87).
Note: The hypocrites and disbelievers had disliked to strive with their wealth and lives staying behind and had been satisfied with sitting of those who were staying behind. The prophet and the believers will not make burial praying for them nor do they stand by their graves while they have died as disbelievers being disobedient to God and His messenger.
Paradise is for those who have believed and strived with their wealth and lives
- But the messenger and those who have believed with him, have strived with their wealth and their lives, and those – for them are the goods and those – they are the successful ones (9:88). God has prepared for them gardens, flowing the rivers of their underneath will be abiding therein. That is the great success (9:89).
Note: The prophet and those who have believed with him, and have strived with their wealth and lives in God’s path are the successful ones, who will be in gardens abiding therein forever.
Among Arabs who were worse in disbelief and hypocrisy
- And there has come those who make excuses of the Arabs that is granted permission for them, and has sat those who had denied God and His messenger; a painful punishment will strike those who have disbelieved among them (9:90). It has not been any blame on the weak, nor on the sick, nor on those who do not find what they spend when they have been sincere to God and His messenger, nor on the good-doers with any way. And God is Forgiving, Merciful (9:91). Nor on those who when they have come to you (prophet) that you provide them with mounts, you said, “I do not find what to carry you on it.” They had turned back flowing of the tears in their eyes, is a sorrow that they do not find what they could spend (9:92). The way is only on those who ask your permission while they are rich. They have been satisfied with that they would be with those who are staying behind, while God has sealed upon their hearts that they do not know (9:93). They make excuses to you when you have returned to them. Say, “You do not make excuse; we do not believe you. Certainly, God has informed us of your news.” And God will see your deeds and His messenger, then you will be brought back to the Knower of the unseen and the seen, then He will inform you of what you had done to accomplish (9:94). They will swear by God to you, when you have returned to them that you may turn away from them. So you shall turn away from them; indeed, they are polluted, and their abode is Hell, a recompense for what they have done to earn (9:95). They swear to you that you may be pleased with them; even if you are pleased with them, then indeed, God is not pleased with the disobedient people (9:96). The Arabs are worse in disbelief and hypocrisy, and most likely that they do not know limits of what God has revealed through His messenger. And God is Knower, Wise (9:97). And among the Arabs there is whoever considers what he spends is a loss, and he await the misfortunes for you. Upon them there will be a misfortune of the evil. And God is Hearer, Knower. (9:98).
Note: The Arabs made excuses to get permission from the prophet to sit with those who had lied to God and His messenger while the believers did not believe them as they know from God that they are liars but God knows that who are not to be blamed for staying behind. They may swear when the believers have returned from the war to satisfy them while the believers may be satisfied but God is not satisfied with them as He knows they are worse in disbelief as well as hypocrisy and consider spending is a loss, and they await misfortune for the prophet and the believers.
Among Arabs who were righteous believers in God and the Last Day
- And among the Arabs whoever believes in God and the Last Day, and takes whatever he spends as means of nearness with God and providing support to the messenger; yes, indeed, it is a means of nearness for them. God will admit them into His mercy. Indeed, God is Forgiving, Merciful (9:99). And the foremost, the first among the emigrants and the supporters, and those who have followed them in righteousness, God has been pleased with them, and they have been pleased with Him. And He has prepared for them gardens, flowing the rivers of their underneath, are abiding therein forever. That is the great success (9:100).
Note: Whoever among the Arabs has believed in God and the Last Day, and has considered whatever they have spent is a means of nearness with God and providing support to the messenger will admit to His mercy. Thus, God is pleased with the emigrant and the supporters, and those who have followed them in righteousness, has prepared for them gardens, flowing the rivers of their underneath to abide therein forever.
Believers surrounded by hypocrites from the Arabs and the people of Madinah
- And from whoever around you of the Arabs are hypocrites, and from a people of the city. They have been persistent on the hypocrisy; you (prophet) do not know them, we know them. We will punish them twice, then they will be returned to a great punishment (9:101). And others who have confessed their sins; they have mixed a righteous deed and other evil. It may have been God that He will turn upon them; indeed, God is Forgiving, Merciful (9:102). You (prophet) take a charity from their wealth to purify them and to strengthen by it, and shall give advice to them and your advice may be a reassurance for them, while God is Hearer, Knower (9:103). Do they not know that God is He who accepts the repentance of His servants, and takes the charities, and that God, He is the Acceptor of repentance, the Merciful? (9:104). Say, “Do, then God will see your deed, and His messenger and the believers. And you will be brought back to Knower of the unseen and the seen, then He will inform you of what you have done to accomplish.” (9:105). And others deferred for God’s decision; whether He will punish them, or He will turn to them. And God is Knower, Wise (9:106).
Note: Hypocrites will be punished twice before the great punishment while others who have corrupted their righteous deeds with the evil deeds, God may turn to them, and prophet was asked to take charity from them to purify and strengthen them, and to advise them for reassurance of their hearts, and God will inform them of what they have done to accomplish when they will be brought back to Him.
The believers would not pray except in God’s masjids
- And those who have taken masjid for having harm and disbelief, and division among the believers, and as a station for whoever has warred against God and His messenger before; while surely, they swear: “We have not intended except the good,” and God bears witness that indeed, they are surely liars (9:107). You do not ever pray in it. Surely, a masjid has been founded on the righteousness from a first day is more worthy that you pray in it. In it, are people who love that they will purify, and God loves the purified ones (9:108). Is then he whoever has founded his building on righteousness of God and pleasure better, or the one whoever has founded his building on an edge of cliff about to collapse that it has collapsed with him in fire of Hell? And God does not guide the wrongdoing people (9:109). It will not cease their building, which they have built to be a doubt in their hearts, until that it cuts their hearts into pieces. And God is Knower, Wise (9:110).
Note: God has forbidden the believers not to pray in the masjids which are not God’s masjids, and His masjids are those which have been founded on the righteousness from the first day is more worthy that they will pray in them.
God has purchased wealth and lives of believers with the Paradise
- Indeed, God has purchased from the believers their lives and their wealth with that is the Paradise for them. They fight in God’s path when they kill and they are killed. A true promise of Him in the Torah, and the Gospel, and the Quran. And whoever has more truthfulness to his promise than God? So you shall rejoice in your business which you have dealt in it. And that – it is the great success (9:111). The repenters, and the worshipers, and the praisers, and the wanderers, and the bowers, and the prostrators, and the advocators of the right, and the forbidders from the wrong, and the protectors of God’s laws, and you shall give good news to the believers (9:112).
Note: God has informed the true believers of their reward, which has been mentioned in the Torah, and the Gospel and the Quran, while He has given detailed criteria of the believers that none of them miss such great reward, the Paradise.
Abraham had made mistake asking forgiveness for his father
- It has been neither the prophet, nor those who have believed that they would ask forgiveness for the idol worshipers, even if they have been their nearest kins, after what has become clear to them that they are dwellers of the Hellfire (9:113). And it has not been Abraham’s asking of forgiveness for his father except of a promise he had promised it to him. Then when it has become clear to him that he is an enemy of God, he had disassociated from him. Indeed, Abraham was very kind, compassionate (9:114).
Note: The prophet and the believers would not ask forgiveness for the idol worshippers even they are their kins as the idol worshippers are enemy of God, and Abraham made mistake when he had asked forgiveness for his father, who was an idol worshipper.
God is Protector of believers and His prophet
- And it has not been for God that He sends astray a people, after when He has guided them, until He makes clear to them what they should fear. Indeed, God is Knower of everything (9:115). Indeed God to Him belongs a dominion of the heavens and the earth. He gives life and causes death. And there is no protector nor helper for you other than God (9:116). Certainly, God has turned to the prophet, and the emigrants and the helpers who have followed him at time of the difficulty what had about to deviate hearts of a party of them, then He had turned to them. Indeed, He is with them Kind, Merciful (9:117). And on the three of those who had been left behind, until when had straitened for them the earth of that which has been vast; and had straitened for them their souls and they had thought that there is no refuge from God except to Him. Then He had turned to them that they may repent. Indeed, God – He is the Acceptor of repentance, the Merciful (9:118). O you who have believed, you shall fear God, and would be with the truthful ones (9:119).
Note: God has turned to the prophet, and emigrants and the helpers, who have followed the prophet at the difficult time. To Him belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth, and He gives life and causes death. However, those who had straitened for them their souls, and if they have repented, He has turned to them as He is Acceptor of repentance as well as Merciful.
Fighting has been decreed for the people of Madinah and Arabs around it
- It has not been for the people of the city and whoever their around of the Arabs that they should remain behind after God’s messenger, and they should not prefer of their lives to his life. That is of that neither thirst nor fatigue or hunger afflicts them in God’s path, nor do they take any step that angers the disbelievers, nor do they inflict any infliction on an enemy, except has been recorded for them a righteous deed in it. Indeed, God does not let go waste a reward of the good-doers (9:120). While neither they can spend a small spending nor a big, nor can they cross a valley, except has been recorded for them that God may record them best of what they had done to accomplish (9:121).
Note: Those who had believed should not remain behind after God’s messenger nor should they prefer their lives to his life. God has recorded everything what they have done to accomplish whether it has been a small spending or a big spending or they cross a valley, while He will not let go waste a reward of the good-doers.
Commandment for the believers to update knowledge in the religion
- And it has not been for the believers that they should go forth all together; so why not has gone forth a company from every group among them that they may obtain understanding in the religion and that they may warn their people when they have returned to them, so that they may be aware (9:122).
Note: Quran when being revealed is a source of religious knowledge and all believers should know it to understand the religion for them to practice it in a right way.
Commandment for the believers to fight against their disbelieving relatives
- O you who have believed, you shall fight those who would be close to you of the disbelievers, and let them find harshness in you, while you shall know that God is with the righteous (9:123).
Note: There should not be any sympathy for the disbelievers even they are close to the believers being a war strategy to win war to establish religion for God while God has been with the righteous.
When a surah has been revealed increases faith of the believers
- And when a surah has been revealed, then of them whoever says “Which of you has increased faith by this?” As for those who have believed, then it has increased them in faith, and they rejoice (9:124). And for those there is a disease in their hearts, then it has increased them in evil towards their evil, and they have died while they are disbelievers (9:125). Do they not see that they are tested in every year once or twice? Then they cannot repent nor can they take heed (9:126). And when a surah has been revealed, has looked one of them to other: “Does anyone see you?” Then they have turned away. God has turned away their hearts, because of that they are a people who do not understand (9:127).
Note: Quran has been divided into surahs, and when a surah has been revealed, it has increased faith of the believers while it has increased evil of the disbelievers as their hearts have turned away from it as they do not understand, while they cannot repent nor can they take heed.
Surah Bara`ah) (Surah 9: Ultimatum) is about war and treaty when prophet has been among the people, which can be reviewed reflecting to: association of partners with God is a horrendous crime being an effort to extinguish His light by mouth; changing sacred months is a sign of disbelief because of what God has made unlawful to make it lawful; taking of religious leaders and clergymen as lords, who take people’s money with the falsehood and hinder from God’s path; idol worshipers are witnesses of their own disbelief; good deeds of the disbelievers are not accepted by God and the believers will prevent the idol worshippers to enter the Sacred Masjid as they are impure; practicing religion following a guidance as the guidance and a religion of the truth God has sent down with His messenger; God has not only decreed fighting to establish His religion for the believers but also to expose the hypocrites and the disbelievers among the believers; the hypocrites and the disbelievers have made their deeds worthless staying behind, which they rejoice; the prophet and the believers were forbidden for making burial pray for those who have died as disbelievers and also not to stand by their graves; He has decreed believing in Him and His messenger; He has specified how the believing men and women can admit into Paradise and Paradise is for those who have believed and strived in the God’s path with their wealth and lives; He has purchased the believers’ wealth and lives with the Paradise; the Arabs are worse in disbelief and hypocrisy; the believers would not pray except in God’s masjids, and God’s masjids are those which have been founded on righteousness from the first day; the believers will update their knowledge in the religion and when a surah has been revealed increases faith of the believers, and God has not only addressed Muhammad as messenger and prophet but also what has been revealed to him has been mentioned as His messenger in the Surah.
Peaceful Friday, salaam and God bless.