Hunting is prohibited during Hajj
- O you who have believed, you shall fulfill of the contracts. It has been made lawful for you the four-footed livestock except what is recited to you, not being permitted the hunting while you are in state of sanctity (Ihram). Indeed, God decrees whatever He wills (5:1).
Note: The four-footed animal has been made lawful for the people but the hunting has been made unlawful for the pilgrims when they are in state of sanctity during the Hajj.
Violation of rites that God has decreed is sin and transgression
- O you who have believed, you do not violate God’s rites, nor the Sacred Month, nor the animal to sacrifice, nor the garlanded ones, nor those coming to the Sacred House seeking bounty from their Lord and pleasure. And when it has been lawful for you, then you may hunt. And let not incite you the hatred of a people as they have prevented you from the Sacred Masjid that you may transgress. You shall help one another in the uprightness and the righteousness; you do not help one another in the sin and the transgression. And you shall fear God; indeed, God is severe in the retribution (5:2).
Note: It is God who has made what is lawful and what is unlawful for the people as well as what to be done to achieve uprightness and righteousness helping one another, and the believers will not violate the rites: (1) the Sacred Month, (2) the animal to sacrifice, (3) the garlanded ones, (4) inciting the believers with the hatred when they are prevented from the Sacred Masjid, fearing God that they can avoid His severe retribution.
God has given details of what He has made lawful and unlawful in His religion
- It has been forbidden upon you the dead animal, and the blood, and the meat of pig, and what has been sacrificed with it to other than God; and that which has been strangled, and that which has been beaten to death, and that which has fallen from a height, and that which has been gored, and that which the wild animals have attacked except what has been slaughtered (before it dies), and what has been slaughtered on the alters, and that you divide by the arrows of chance – that all is abominable. Today, has given up those who have disbelieved of your religion, so you do not fear them, but you shall fear Me. Today, I have perfected your religion for you, and have completed My blessing upon you, and have mandated Islam as a religion for you. So, whoever has been forced by hunger not willing for sin, then indeed, God is Forgiving, Merciful (5:3). They ask you (Muhammad) what has been made lawful for them; say, “It has been made lawful for you the good things, and what you have taught of the hunting animals, as trainers you teach them of what God has taught you.” So you shall eat from what they have caught for you, and shall mention God’s name upon it, and shall fear God. Indeed, God is swift in the reckoning (5:4). Today, it has been made lawful for you the good things; and food of those who have been given the scripture is lawful for you, and your food is lawful for them, and the chaste women from the believers as well as the chaste women from those who have been given the scripture before yourselves, when you have given them their bridal dowries, being chaste, not being lewd, nor being the ones taking secret lovers. And whoever denies in the faith, then certainly, he has wasted his deeds and he will be with the losers in the Hereafter (5:5).
Note: God has perfected His religion for the believers specifying what He has forbidden and what He has made lawful for the believers. He has only forbidden four types of meat: (1) the dead animal, (2) the blood, (3) the meat of pig and (4) what has been dedicated with it other than God, while He has made lawful all good things and the food of the people of the scripture for the believers and that of the believers of the Quran, and has made it a requirement to mention God’s name upon it when they eat, and the chaste women from the believers and the chaste women from those who have been given the scripture before when they have given them the bridal dowries.
A state of the believers to establish the salat prayer
- O you who have believed, when you have intended for the salat prayer, then you shall wash your faces and your hands to the elbows, and shall wipe of your heads and your feet to the ankles. And if you have been in impurity for sexual contact, then you shall purify. And if you have been ill, or on a journey, or anyone of you has come from the toilet or has contacted the women, then you cannot find water, then you shall do tayammum from clean soil that you shall wipe of your faces and your hands with it. God does not intend to make any difficulty upon you; but He intends to purify you and to complete His blessing upon you that you may appreciate (5:6). And you shall remember God’s blessing upon you, and His covenant which He has bound you with it when you said, “We have heard and we have obeyed.” And you shall fear God. Indeed, God is Knower of what is in the breasts (5:7).
Note: The believers need to meet certain conditions before establishing the salat prayer while the conditions are made so simple that they do not miss any prayer where they may have been, and the 4-step preconditions in normal situation are: washing of (1) faces and (2) hands to elbows, and wiping of (3) heads and (4) feet to ankles. However, purification (by bathing) is required followed by sexual contact if not on a journey or no water is found when 2-step tayammum by wiping of faces and hands touching from the clean soil to meet the requirement for remembering God.
Compensation of righteous and disbelievers
- O you who have believed, you shall be steadfast for God as witnesses in the justice, and let not prevent you hatred of a people upon (you) that you do not do justice. You shall be just, it is nearer for the righteousness. You shall fear God; indeed, God is Cognizant of what you do (5:8). God has promised those who have believed and have done the righteous deeds, there is forgiveness and a great reward for them (5:9). And those who have disbelieved and have denied in our revelations, those are companions of the Hellfire (5:10).
Note: God has promised for the believers who are witnesses in the justice and have done the righteous deeds a great reward while the disbelievers and who have denied His revelations are companions of the Hellfire.
The believers should only put trust upon God
- O you who have believed, you shall remember God’s blessing upon you; when has determined a people that they extend their hands towards you, then He has restrained their hands from you. And you shall fear God, and upon God is to put trust the believers (5:11).
Note: The believers shall fear God and should put trust upon Him as He has favored them extending people’s hands towards them as well as restraining other’s hands from them and they remember his favor upon them.
God’s covenant with Jews and Christians
- And certainly, God has taken a covenant of Children of Israel, and we have raised twelve patriarchs from them. And God said, “Indeed, I am with you, surely if you have established the salat prayer, and have given the zakat, and have believed in My messengers and have honored them, and have loaned a good loan to God. Surely, I will remove your evil deeds from you, and surely, I will admit you into gardens flowing the rivers of their underneath. So whoever has disbelieved from you after that, then certainly, he has strayed from the right path.” (5:12). Then because of their breaking of their covenant we have cursed them and have made their hearts to be hardened. They distort the word from its places, and have forgot a part of what they have been reminded with it. And you will not cease to discover upon treachery from except a few of them. So you shall pardon of them and shall overlook (them). Indeed, God loves the good-doers (5:13). And of those who said, “Indeed, we are Christians,” we have taken their covenant, while they had forgot a part of what they have been reminded with it. So, we have aroused the enmity and the hatred between themselves till a Day of the Resurrection. And God will inform them of what they had done to accomplish (5:14).
Note: God has taken a covenant from the Jews that if they establish the salat prayer and give the zakah, He will remit their evil deeds and admit them into gardens flowing the rivers underneath them, but they have distorted the word in its places and have forgot a part of what they have been reminded with it. And He has taken a covenant from the Christians while they forgot a part of what they have been reminded with it, and He aroused the enmity and the hatred between themselves till a day of the Resurrection.
God has sent down a light and a clarifying scripture to guide to a straight path
- O people of the scripture (Torah and Injeel), certainly has come to you our messenger to make clear for you much of what you have done to conceal from the scripture and to overlook from many. Certainly, has come to you from God a light and a clarifying scripture (5:15). God guides with it whoever has sought His pleasure to ways of the peace, and brings them out of the darknesses into the light by His permission, and guides them to a straight path (5:16). Certainly, those who have disbelieved said, “Indeed, God: He is the Messiah, son of Mary.” Say, “Then who possesses power of anything against God if He has intended to destroy the Messiah, son of Mary and his mother, and whoever is in the earth all?” And to God belongs dominion of the heavens and the earth, and what is between them. He creates whatever He wills, and God has power over everything (5:17).
- And the Jews and the Christians said, “We are God’s children and His beloved.” Say, “then why does He punish you for your sins? Nay, you are human being of whoever He has created.” He forgives for whomever He wills and punishes whomever He wills. And to God belongs dominion of the heavens and the earth, and whatever is between them, and to Him is the final return (5:18). O people of the scripture, certainly has come to you our messenger to clarify for you upon an interval of the messengers lest you say, “has not come to us a bearer of good news nor a warner.” So, certainly has come to you a bearer of good news and a warner. And God has power over everything (5:19).
Note: God has sent a messenger to make clear what has been concealed in the previous scripture to bring people to the ways of peace while He guides bringing him out of the darkness into light whoever seeks His pleasure and follows a light and a clarifying scripture being a God’s messenger referring to the Quran, which is also a bearer of good news and a warner that the people of the scripture can reflect to that.
God cursed people of Moses to wander in the earth for 40 years
- And when Moses said to his people, “O my people, you shall remember God’s blessing upon you, when He had made prophets among you, and had made you kings, and gave you what He had not given to anyone of the people of the world (5:20). O my people, you shall enter the holy land which God has decreed for you, and you do not turn on your backs, then you will turn back as losers.” (5:21). They said, “Indeed, O Moses, there is a people of tyrannical strength in it, and indeed, we will not enter it until they leave from it. So if they leave from it, then certainly, we will be the entering ones.” (5:22). Two men from those who feared (God) – God had favored on both of them said, “Enter upon them through the gate, then when you have entered it, then indeed, you are victors. And upon God that you shall put trust, if you have been believers.” (5:23). They said, “O Moses, we will never ever enter it, so long as they have been in it. So go – you and your Lord that you (both) shall fight. Indeed, we are sitting right here.” (5:24). He said, “My Lord, indeed, I do not possess power except for myself and my brother. So, separate between ourselves and between the disobedient people.” (5:25). He (God) said, “Then, indeed, it is forbidden upon them for forty years, they will wander in the earth. So you do not grieve over the disobedient people.” (5:26).
Note: God has blessed the people of Moses making prophets and kings from them but He cursed them to wander 40 years in the earth as they were disobedient to Moses for denying to enter the holy land.
The story of Adam’s two sons
- You shall recite to them the history of Adam’s two sons (Abel and Cain) with the truth. When they (both) had offered a sacrifice, then it was accepted from one of them (Abel), nor was it accepted from the other (Cain). He (Cain) said, “Surely, I will kill you.” He (Abel) said, “God only accepts from the righteous (5:27). If you surely have extended your hand towards me that you will kill me, I will not be of one extending my hand towards you that I will kill you; indeed, I fear God, Lord of the worlds (5:28). Indeed, I wish that you burden with my sin and your sin, then you be with companions of the Fire, and that is a recompense for the wrongdoers.” (5:29). Then his ego had provoked to him of killing his brother, so he killed him that he had been with the losers (5:30). Then God had sent a raven to scratch in the earth that he can be shown how to hide his brother’s corpse. He said, “Woe to me; Have I been unable that I can be like this – the raven is to hide my brother’s corpse?” So he had been with the regretful ones (5:31).
Note: God has cited an example that we can reflect He accepted the offer from whoever has been the righteous not from the unrighteous.
Killing a person is a gross sin
- Since that time, we have decreed upon the Children of Israel that whoever has killed a person being not a killer or spreading corruption in the earth, then as if he has killed all the people. And whoever has saved it, then as if he has saved all the people. And certainly, has come to them our messengers with the clear proofs, then indeed, most of them after that, are transgressors in the earth (5:32).
Note: Whoever has killed a life has killed all the people while whoever has saved a life has saved all the people.
God has authorized killing of those who fight God and His messenger
- The only recompense for those who wage war against God and His messenger and strive in spreading corruption in the earth that they be killed, or be crucified, or be cut off their hands and their feet of alternate sides, or be banished from the land. That is for them disgrace in the world, and for them there is a great punishment in the Hereafter (5:33). Except those who have repented before that you force over them, then you shall know that God is Forgiving, Merciful (5:34).
Note: As a war rule God has authorized the believers to kill, crucify and to banish from the land of those who fight God and His messenger and spread corruption in the earth.
Reward for the believers and punishment for the disbelievers
- O you who have believed, you shall fear God, and shall seek the means to Him, and shall strive in His path that you may succeed (5:35). Indeed, those who have disbelieved, if that for them what is in the earth all, and like of it with it that they ransom with it from punishment on a day of the Resurrection, has not been accepted from them, and for them there is a painful punishment (5:36). They will wish that they come out of the Fire, while they are not coming out from it; and for them there is an everlasting punishment (5:37).
Note: Those who have believed and have feared God, then they seek the ways and means to Him and strive in His path are the successful ones while those who have disbelieved, if they ransom all what is in the earth for their punishment on a Day of the Judgment will not be accepted from them and they cannot come out of the everlasting punishment in the Hell even they would wish it.
Punishment for thief is to cut hand whether male or female
- And the male and female thief that you shall cut their hands for what they have earned as an exemplary punishment from God, and God is Mighty, Wise (5:38). Then whoever has repented after his wrongdoing and has reformed, then indeed, God turns upon him. Indeed, God is Forgiving, Merciful (5:39). Do you not know that God: to Him belongs dominion of the heavens and the earth? He punishes whomever He wills, and He forgives for whomever He wills, and God has power over everything (5:40).
Note: The punishment of the thief is to make a cut on their hands instead of cutting off their hands, while if they have repented and have reformed, God turns upon them being Forgiving, Merciful.
Disgrace in the world and a great punishment in the Hereafter for the hypocrites
- O the messenger, let not grieve you for those who hasten in disbelief of those who said, “We have believed,” with their mouths, while do not believe by their hearts from those who have turned Jews, are listeners of the falsehood – listeners of other people who do not come to you. They distort the word after its context saying, “If you have been given this, then you shall accept it, while if you are not given it, then you shall beware.” And for whomever God intends his test, then you do not possess power of anything for him against God. Those are the ones God does not intend that He purifies their hearts. For them there is disgrace in the world, while for them there is a great punishment in the Hereafter (5:41). Listeners of the falsehood are devourers of the forbidden. So if they have come to you, then you shall judge between themselves, or you shall turn away from them. And if you turn away from them, then they cannot harm you in anything. And if you have judged, then you shall judge between themselves with the justice. Indeed, God loves the just ones (5:42).
Note: God has informed His messenger that most Jews are not only disbelievers but also hypocrites – what is in their mouths is not in their hearts. They distort word in its context while they are listeners of falsehood and eaters of the forbidden. However, if he judges between themselves, he will judge with the justice.
God’s system being His revelation is a guidance and a light from the past
- And how can they ask you to judge, while with them is the Torah – God’ command is in it? Then they turn away after that, and those are not of the believers (5:43). Indeed, we have revealed the Torah, in it there is guidance and light to judge with it, the prophets those who had submitted (to God) for those who have turned Jews, and the rabbis and the priests with what they have been entrusted with God’s scripture, and they have been witnesses upon it. So you do not fear the people, while you shall fear Me, and you do not sell of My revelations for a small price. And whoever does not judge with what God has revealed, then those – they are the disbelievers (5:44). And we have decreed for them in it that the life for the life, and the eye for the eye, and the nose for the nose, and the ear for the ear, and the tooth for the tooth, and the wounds for equivalent retribution. But whoever has given charity with it, then it is an expiation for him. And whoever does not judge with what God has revealed, then those – they are the wrongdoers (5:45). And we have followed to their footsteps with Jesus, son of Mary is confirming that which was in his hands of the Torah, and we have given him the Gospel, in it is guidance and light, and is confirming that which was in his hands of the Torah, and is guidance and instruction for the righteous (5:46). People of the Gospel should judge of what God has revealed in it. And whoever does not judge of what God has revealed, then those – they are the truly disobedient (5:47). And we have revealed to you (Muhammad) the scripture with the truth, is confirming that which was in his hands of the scripture, and is consolidating over it. So you shall judge between themselves of what God has revealed, and you do not follow their wishes when has come to you of the truth. For each we have made law and rite; and if God had willed, He would have surely made you one community; but to test you in what He has given you. So you shall race for the good. To God is your return for all, then He will inform you of what you have done to differ (5:48). And that you shall judge between themselves of what God has revealed, and you do not follow their desires, and you shall beware of them lest they divert you from that what God has revealed to you (Muhammad). And if they have turned away, then you shall know that God intends that He will afflict them for that of their sins. And indeed, many of the people are surely disobedient (5:49). Do then they seek judgment of the ignorance time? And who has better than God’s judgment for a people who can ascertain (5:50)?
Note: Torah was given to Jewish prophets for its believers to judge what was in it laws and rites and Gospel was given to Jesus confirming what was in his hands for its believers to judge what was in it laws and rites while the rabbis and the priests were entrusted with the scripture, who have sold God’s revelation for a small price even being witnesses. Following the foot step of Jesus Quran was given to Muhammad as guidance and light confirming and consolidating what was in his hands for its believers to judge what is in it laws and rites but most people are disobedient of it.
The believers will not take the Jews and the Christians as allies
- O you who have believed, you do not take the Jews and the Christians as allies; they themselves are allies to one another. And whoever takes them as allies among you, then indeed, he is of them. Indeed, God does not guide the people of the wrongdoing (5:51). Then you will see those who have a disease in their hearts are hastening to them saying, “We fear that a disaster will befall us.” So has been God that He will bring of the victory, or a decision from Him. Then they will become regretful for what they had concealed within themselves (5:52). And will say those who have believed, “Are these those who have sworn by God of their solemn oaths; indeed, they were surely with you?” Has become worthless of their deeds, so they have become losers (5:53).
Note: God has warned the believers not to take the Jews and the Christians as allies, and those who will do that are the wrongdoers and He will not guide them while the hypocrites who have disease in their hearts said that they fear a disaster upon those who are fighting the God’s enemies but when they see the victory from God, then they said they are with the believers but God has made their deeds worthless becoming them losers.
God and His messenger are true allies of the believers
- O you who have believed, whoever turns back among you from his religion, then God will bring of a people He loves them and they love Him, being humble on the believers, stern on the disbelievers, striving in God’s path and not fearing any blame of the critic. That is God’s grace; He grants whomever He wills, and God is Encompassing all, Knower (5:54). Your only ally is God and His messenger, and those who have believed, and those who establish the salat prayer and give the zakat, and those who bow down (5:55). And whoever allies God and His messenger, and those who have believed, are a party of God – they are the victors (5:56).
Note: The believers strive in the cause of God being humble on other believers but stern on the disbelievers observing the salat prayer and giving the zakah are the victors being allies of God and His messenger.
The believers will not take the Jews and the Christians as allies
- O you who have believed, you do not take as allies those who have taken your religion in ridicule and fun from those who have been given the scripture before yourselves, nor the disbelievers. And you shall fear God, if you have been believers (5:57). When you have called to the salat prayer, they take it in ridicule and fun. That is of that they are a people who do not understand (5:58). Say, “O people of the scripture, do you resent from us only for that we have believed in God, and what has been revealed to us and what has been revealed before? And that most of you are disobedient.” (5:59).
Note: God has warned the believers not to take as allies the Jews and the Christians as well as the disbelievers who ridicule and have fun with their religion being most of them are disobedient and to tell them that you should not hate us for believing in God and in what has been revealed to us and in what has been revealed before ourselves.
God has cursed the hypocrites who have been worse in disbelief
- Say, “Can I inform you of worse than that of compensating from God? Whomever God has cursed, and has become angry upon them, and has made from them the apes, and the pigs, and who has worshipped the false deities. Those are worse in position and farther astray from the right path.” (5:60). And when they had come to you, they said, “We have believed.” And certainly, they had entered with disbelief, and they certainly, had gone out with it. And God is Knower of what they had done to hide (5:61). And you see many of them hasten into the sin and the transgression, and their eating of the forbidden. Surely, it has been evil what they have done to accomplish (5:62).
Note: God has warned His prophet not to believe the hypocrites indicating their evil behavior and what they do.
God has cursed the Jews for what they have said about Him
- Why do not the rabbis and the priests forbid them from their saying of the sin and their eating of the forbidden? Surely, it has been evil what they have done to accomplish (5:63).The Jews said, “God’s hand is a tied up.” It has been tied up their hands, and they have been cursed for what they have said. His hands are stretched out to spend how He wills. And surely it increases rebellion and disbelief to many of them what has been revealed to you (Muhammad) from your Lord, while we have cast between themselves the enmity and the hatred until a Day of the Resurrection. Every time they have kindled a fire of the war, God has extinguished, and they strive spreading corruption in the earth, and God does not love the corrupters (5:64). And if that a people of the scripture had believed and had feared (God), we would surely have removed their evil deeds from them and we would surely have admitted them into gardens of the Bliss (5:65). And if that they had maintained the Torah and the Gospel, and what has been revealed to them from their Lord, surely, they would have eaten from their above and from beneath of their feet; there is a community of moderate ones from them, while many of them have been evil for what they do (5:66).
Note: If the people of the scripture would hold fast the Torah and the Gospel, and they had believed and had feared God, He would admit them into gardens of the Bliss removing their evil behavior.
Messenger’s duty to convey message even against strong opposition
- O you the messenger, you shall convey what has been revealed to you (Muhammad) from your Lord, and if you do not do, then you have not conveyed His message. And God will protect you from the people. Indeed, God does not guide the people who are the disbelievers (5:67). Say, “O people of the scripture, you have not been upon anything unless you hold fast the Torah and the Gospel, and what has been revealed to you from your Lord.” And surely it increases rebellion and disbelief to many of them, what has been revealed to you (Muhammad) from your Lord. So, you do not grieve over the disbelieving people (5:68). Indeed, those who have believed, and those who have turned Jewish, and the Sabians, and the Christians – whoever has believed in God and the Last Day and has done as righteous, then there is no fear for them, nor do they grieve (5:69).
Note: The people of the scripture who have not held fast the Torah and Gospel have gained nothing but it is unfortunate that the revelation of the Quran increases rebellion and disbelief among many of them while it has been a requirement for every community to believe in God and the Last Day as well as to do the righteous deeds to be saved.
God had sent many messengers to the Children of Israel
- Certainly, we have taken a covenant from the Children of Israel, and we have sent messengers to them. Every time a messenger has come to them with what does not desire their souls; a group had denied and a group had killed (5:70). And they thought that there would not be a test, so they had become blind and had become deaf, then God turned to them, while many of them had become blind and had become deaf. And God is Seer of what they do (5:71).
Note: God has favored the children of Israel sending many messengers to them but they killed some of them and denied some of them, thus depriving themselves from God’s mercy being blind and deaf.
God has forbidden Paradise for those who associated partner with Him
- Certainly, has disbelieved those who said, “indeed God, He is the Messiah, son of Mary, while the Messiah said, “O Children of Israel, you shall worship God; my Lord and your Lord.” Indeed, he whoever associates partner(s) with God, then certainly God has forbidden the Paradise for him, and his abode is the Fire, and there are no helpers for the wicked (5:72). Certainly, has disbelieved those who said, “Indeed, God is a third of Trinity.” While there is no god except One god. And if they do not refrain from what they say, surely, will afflict those who have disbelieved among them with a painful retribution (5:73). Will not then they repent to God and ask His forgiveness? And God is Forgiving, Merciful (5:74). The Messiah, son of Mary was not but a messenger; certainly, had passed the messengers before himself, and his mother was a saint. They both had done to eat the food. You shall see how we have made clear the revelations for them, then you shall see how they are deviated (5:75). Say, “Do you worship other than God what does not possess power for you any harm nor any benefit while God is Hearer, Knower?” (5:76). Say, “O people of the scripture, you do not go beyond the truth in your religion, nor do you follow desires of people; certainly, who had gone astray before, and they had misled many while they had strayed from the right path.” (5:77).
Note: God has forbidden Paradise for those who have associated partner with Him saying that God is the Messiah, son of Mary and God is a third of trinity unless they have repented and have asked His forgiveness, while Jesus said to Children of Israel to worship God, his Lord and their Lord.
God has cursed those who disbelieved from the Children of Israel
- Has been cursed those who had disbelieved from Children of Israel by tongue of David and Jesus, son of Mary. That was of that they had disobeyed and had done to transgress (5:78). They had not done to forbid one another from the wrongdoing they had done it. Surely, it had been evil what they had done to accomplish (5:79). You would see many of them taking allies of those who have disbelieved. Surely, it has been evil what has sent forth their souls for them that God has become angry upon them, and in the punishment they will be abiding forever (5:80). And if they had done to believe in God, and the prophet, and what has been revealed to him, they would not have taken them as allies, but many of them are disobedient (5:81).
Note: The Children of Israel who do not forbid one another to do the evil deeds and make allies with those who have disbelieved in God, and if they had believed in God and what has been revealed to the prophet, they would not be the disobedient.
Christians were nearer to the believers than the Jews and the idolaters
- Surely, you will find that the worse people in enmity to those who have believed are the Jews and those who have associated partner(s); and surely, you will find nearest of them in liking to those who have believed are those who said, “We are indeed Christians.” That is of that there are priests and monks among them, and they do not arrogate (5:82). And when they have heard what has been revealed to the messenger, you see their eyes overflowing with tears for what they have recognized of the truth, and they say, “Our Lord, we have believed, so include us with the witnesses (5:83). And what is for us that we do not believe in God and what has come to us of the truth, and we hope that our Lord will admit us with the righteous people?” (5:84). So God has rewarded them gardens flowing the rivers of their underneath are abiding in them forever for what they said. And that is a reward for the good-doers (5:85). While those who have disbelieved and have denied in our revelations, those are companions of the Hellfire (5:86).
Note: The Christians were more open to hear and accept the message given to the prophet and those who had believed from them will admit into gardens flowing the rivers of their underneath while those who had disbelieved and had denied in God’s revelation are companions of the Hellfire.
God is the only One who has made things lawful and unlawful
- O you who have believed, you do not forbid good things what God has made lawful for you, nor do you transgress. Indeed, God does not love the transgressors (5:87). And you shall eat of what God has provided you is good and lawful. And you shall fear God, the One you are believers in Him (5:88).
Note: The believers shall fear God and shall eat what is good for them and what He has made lawful while they do not forbid good things. Thus, what God made lawful and unlawful for the believers has done through revelation of Quran in 13 B.H. (Before Hijra) i.e., about 1455 years ago.
Expiation for violation of oath swearing by God
- God will not call you to account for the unintentional utterance in your oaths; but He will call you to account for what you have made (with your intention) in the oath. So its expiation is feeding of ten needy people with usual of what you feed your families, or their clothing, or freeing a slave; while you cannot find, then fasting of three days. That is expiation of your oaths when you have sworn. And you shall keep your oaths. Thus that God makes clear His revelations for you, that you may appreciate (5:89).
Note: Expiation for violation of oath with God is feeding or clothing ten needy people, or freeing a slave or fasting of three days when a slave is not found. Thus, God has made room for us that we can fulfill our obligation.
The Satan causes animosity and hatred through intoxication and gambling
- O you who have believed, the intoxicant (intoxication), and the game of chances (gambling), and the sacrifices at altars, and the divining arrows are abominations being only from the Satan’s deed; so you shall avoid it, that you may succeed (5:90). The Satan only intends that he causes the animosity and the hatred between yourselves through the intoxicant and the game of chances, and hinders you from remembering God and from the salat prayer. Will you then be the refrainers? (5:91).
Note: Intoxication and gambling are prohibited for the believers not to be distracted from remembering God especially the salat prayer, which is a prime practice for God’s remembrance to develop our souls.
Messenger’s duty is only to convey the message
- And you shall obey God and shall obey the messenger, and shall beware. So if you have turned away, then you shall know upon our messenger is only the conveyance of the clarifying message (5:92).
Note: The messenger has no responsibility for those who have turned away from the message conveyed by him.
Test of the pilgrims bringing the game within their hands and spears
- It has not been upon those who have believed and have done the righteous deeds any sin in what they have eaten when that they have feared (God) and have believed and have done the righteous deeds; then they have feared (God) and have believed, then they have feared (God) and have done good. And God loves the good-doers (5:93). O you who have believed, God will surely test you with anything of the game within reach of your hands and your spears that God makes evident whoever fears Him in the unseen. So whoever has transgressed after that, then for him is a painful punishment (5:94). O you who have believed, you do not kill the game (animal) while you are in Ihram. And whoever has killed it with intention from you, then the penalty is like of what he has killed from the livestock judging with it by two just men from you – an offering is reaching the Ka`bah, or an expiation by feeding needy people, or an equivalent fasting that he can perceive a consequence of his deed. God has pardoned of what has past while whoever has returned, then God will take retribution of him. And God is Almighty, Owner of retribution (5:95). It has been made lawful for you a game of the sea and its food as provision for you and for the travelers, while it has been made unlawful upon you a game of the land as long as you are in Ihram. And you shall fear God, the One to Him will be gathered (5:96).
Note: The game of the sea has been made lawful as provision while the game of the land has been made unlawful, but whoever has killed the game of the land, then the expiation for him judging by the two just men – offering an animal from the livestock reaching the Ka’bah or feeding the needy people or an equivalent fasting.
The rites decreed by God related to Hajj
- God has made the Ka`bah, the Sacred House is an establishment for the people, and the Sacred Month, the animal sacrifice, and the garlands. That is that you may know that God knows whatever is in the heavens and whatever is the earth, and that God is Knower of everything (5:97). You shall know that God is severe in the punishment, and that God is Forgiving, Merciful (5:98).
Note: God has made the Ka’bah as the Sacred House, the Sacred Month in which Hajj can be performed of any of the four sacred months: Zul Hijjah, Muharram, Safar and Rabi` I, the animal sacrifice and the garlanding of the animal to sacrifice are rites related to Hajj, and the pilgrims should not violate any of these rites decreed by God while He is severe in the punishment.
Quran has all answers while the believers would not be ahead of Quran
- Not on the messenger except the conveyance, while God knows what you declare and what you hide (5:99). Say, “You do not equal the evil and the good, even if has impressed you an abundance of the evil. So you shall fear God, O men of the understanding, that you may succeed.” (5:100). O you who have believed, you do not ask about things, if it is made clear to you, may distress you, and if you ask about it when the Quran is revealed, it would be made clear to you. God has pardoned about it, and God is Forgiving, Forbearing (5:101). Indeed, a people before yourselves had asked it, then they became disbelievers with it (5:102).
Note: The responsibility of the messenger is only the conveyance. The believers would not ask about what are made clear while what they have to ask about would be revealed in the Quran.
God has not made any rites related to different kinds of animals
- God has not made (any rite) with Bahirah nor Saibah nor Wasilah nor Hami, but those who have disbelieved invent the lie about God, and most of them do not understand (5:103).
Note: The idolaters have invented certain rites with the animals to please their idols.
People have always been unwilling to accept God’s message to guide them
- When it has been said to them, “You shall come to what God has revealed, and to the messenger,” they said, “Our sufficiency is what we have found our forefathers upon it.” What about even if it has been that their forefathers did not know anything, nor were they guided? (5:104). O you who have believed, upon you is for yourselves. It will not harm you whoever has gone astray when you have been guided. To God is your return of all, then He will inform you of what you have done to accomplish (5:105).
Note: It is a tragedy that people are repellant to God’s guidance claiming that they have sufficiency from their forefathers while the believers have responsibility on their own souls will not harm them for those who have gone astray.
Testimony on a will is a greater responsibility
- O you who have believed, a testimony between yourselves when the death has approached to one of you, at time of the will two just men from you or two others from other than you, if you have traveled in the land, then a disaster of the death befalls you. You may detain both of them after the salat prayer, while both of them swear by God, if they have doubted, “We will not exchange with it a price even if he has been of a near relative, nor will we conceal God’s testimony. Indeed, we then surely would be with the sinners.” (5:106). Then if it has been discovered on that the two (witnesses) have been guilty of sin, then the two others will stand in their place from those who have right over them – the former two, then they swear by God, “Surely, our testimony is truer than their (former two) testimony and we have not transgressed; indeed, we then surely will be with the wrongdoers.” (5:107). That is closer that they will give of the testimony on its form, or they would fear that the oaths will refuted after their oaths. And you shall fear God and listen, while God does not guide the disobedient people (5:108).
Note: The two just men will testify a will by swearing God and if these two men are found guilty will be replaced by the other two just men by swearing God being truer than the former two.
No role for the messengers on a day of the Judgment
- A day God will gather the messengers, then He says, “What has been responded to you?” They said, “There is no knowledge for us; indeed, You are a Knower of the unseen.” (5:109).
Note: A day of gathering the messengers will have no role as their duty was only the conveyance while God has collected record for every one of us what we have done in the earthly life.
Jesus was sent to the Children of Israel with clear proofs and many signs
- When God said, “O Jesus, son of Mary, remember My blessing upon you and upon your mother, when I have supported you with the Holy Spirit, you speak to the people in the crib and in maturity. I have taught you the scripture, and the wisdom, and the Torah, and the Gospel; and when you make from clay like a shape of the bird by My permission, then you breathe into it and it becomes a (live) bird by My permission, and you heal the blind and the leper by My permission; and when you bring forth the dead by My permission; and when I have restrained you from Children of Israel when you come to them with the clear proofs, then those who had disbelieved from them said, `This is not but a clear magic.’ (5:110). And when I had inspired to the disciples that you shall believe in Me and My messenger. They said, “We have believed, and bear witness of that indeed, we are submitters.” (5:111). When the disciples said, ‘O Jesus, son of Mary, can your Lord be able to send down to us a feast from the heaven?” He said, “You shall fear God, if you have been believers’. (5:112). They said, “We wish that we eat from it, and it would content our hearts, while we know that you have certainly spoken truth to us, and we would be with the witnesses over it.” (5:113). Jesus, son of Mary said, “Our god, our Lord, send down to us a feast from the heaven, it would be for us a festival for the first of us and last of us, and a sign from You. And provide for us and You are the best the Provider.” (5:114). God said, “Indeed, I will be Sender of it to you (disciples of Jesus), then whoever disbelieves from you after, then I will punish him (such) a punishment, I do not punish anyone of a people of the world.” (5:115).
Note: Jesus was not but a messenger of God who had come to the Children of Israel with clear proofs and many signs, while God had inspired to his disciples to believe in Him and His messenger, but those who had disbelieved him, God will punish them a severe punishment.
Jesus advocated his disciples to worship God neither himself nor his mother
- And when God said, “O Jesus, son of Mary, have you said to the people, `Worship me and my mother as gods other than God?’ ” He said, “Glory is Yours. It would not be for me that I could say what has not been with any right for me. If I had said it, then You would have certainly known it. You know what is in myself, and I do not know what is in Yourself. Indeed You, You are Knower of the unseen (5:116). I have not said to them except what You have commanded me with it that you shall worship God, my Lord and your Lord, and I have been a witness over them so long as I have been with them; then when You have raised me, You have been – You are the Watcher over them, and You are a Witness over everything (5:117). If You punish them, then indeed, they are Your servants, and if You forgive them, then indeed You, You are the Almighty, the Wise.” (5:118).
Note: Jesus or any other messenger cannot save anyone who has associated partners with God on a day of the Judgment, which is a clear indication that the concept of intercession around us is a myth being the satanic trick to make us losers.
On a day of the Judgment the truthful will be in gardens for their truthfulness
- God said, “This day is benefitting the truthful for their truthfulness. For them are gardens flowing the rivers of their underneath being dwellers in them forever. God has been pleased with them, and they have been pleased with Him. That is the great success (5:119). To God belongs a dominion of the heavens and the earth, and what is in them, and He has Power over everything (5:120).
Note: This is the day, God is admitting the truthful ones into gardens flowing the rivers of their underneath for abiding therein forever for their truthfulness, which is the great success for them.
Surah Al-Maa’idah (The Feast) is the 112th revelation, which is named according to the word, maaidatan found in verses 112 and 114 of the surah. It has addressed what God has made lawful for us and what He has made unlawful for us, while He is the only One who can make things lawful and unlawful. He has made lawful all the good things and has also informed us that it has been His system from the past that the believers should judge based on laws and rites given in what has been sent down to them as guidance and light as well as a bearer of good news and warner, while the Quran is a guidance and light confirming and consolidating what was before it. Thus, God has perfected and has completed His religion and blessing upon us with the revelation of this surah mandating Islam being practices of His religion but not Islam as a name of His religion. However, He has revealed the Quran about 1455 (1442 + 13) years ago addressing all disputes as well as perfecting and completing His religion for all of us that the believers should not have any confusion to practice any of His given rites or should not have any dispute about any matter if they study the Quran carefully. It is mention-worthy that only two surahs, surah 9 (revelation 113) and surah 110 (revelation 114) were revealed after this surah.
Peaceful Friday, salaam and God bless.