Oath of God
- (I swear) By the heaven having the galaxies (85:1). And the promised day (85:2). And witness and witnessed (85:3).
Note: God has taken an oath referring to three items from His creations and events: (1) the universe having the galaxies, (2) the promised day which is coming, and (3) the witness and the witnessed.
Destruction of the wicked people of the valley
- Has been destroyed the people of the valley (85:4). The fire with the fuel (85:5). When they had been sitting around it (85:6). And they were witnesses of what they were doing to the believers (85:7). They had not taken revenge of them except that they believed in God – the Almighty, the Praiseworthy (85:8). The One to Him is a dominion of the heavens and the earth, and God is a Witness over everything (85:9).
Note: By taking oath God has affirmed that He has destroyed the people of the valley who had persecuted and had witnessed the persecution of the believers who had believed in God – the Almighty, the Praiseworthy and to Him is a dominion of the heavens and the earth and a Witness over everything as they did not repent to God for their wrongdoing.
Punishment vs Reward
- Indeed, those who have persecuted the believing men and the believing women, then they do not repent that for them there is a punishment of Hell and for them there is a punishment of the Blazing fire (85:10). Indeed, those who have believed and have done the righteous deeds, for them there will be gardens flowing the rivers of their underneath; that is the greatest success (85:11). Indeed, your Lord’s striking is surely strong (85:12). Indeed, He creates and repeats (85:13). And He is the Forgiving, the Loving (85:14). Possessor of the glorious Throne (85:15). Doer of whatever He intends (85:16).
Note: God will punish those who have persecuted the believing men and women, but will reward those who have believed and have done the righteous deeds with gardens flowing the rivers of their underneath, which is the greatest success for them. He is severe in punishment, while He is the Forgiving and the Loving even for those who have committed sins but have repented for their wrongdoing as He is Possessor of the Throne and He does whatever He intends.
Destruction of people of Pharaoh and Thamud
- Has come to you a story of the troops (85:17) of Pharaoh, and Thamud? (85:18). Nay, those who have disbelieved in denial (85:19). And God is Encompassing of their behind (85:20).
Note: God destroyed the people of Pharaoh and Thamud, who disbelieved, and made them a lesson for the people of the subsequent generations, while He knows their consequences on a day when they meet Him on a day of the Judgment.
God has preserved the glorious Quran in Master Tablet
- Nay, it is a glorious Quran (85:21), in a preserved (Master) Tablet (85:22).
Note: God has confirmed that the Quran is glorious and He has preserved it with Him at master tablet. Thus, if any modification or distortion is made to the revealed Quran will not be unknown to Him. This is another indication that the Quran is the final edition of His scripture, while God has blessed us with the knowledge to derive from the Quran that He has sent down to humanity 19 scripture through 20 prophets while Moses and Aaron were given the same scripture.
Surah al-buruuj (Surah 85: The Galaxies) is an earlier revelation and a short surah consisting of 22 simple verses, which can be reviewed reflecting on the construction of the universe with the galaxies, while by taking oath God has affirmed that He has punished the disbelievers who have persecuted and have witnessed the persecution of the believing men and women in the earth and He knows what is at their behind as well. On the other hand, those who have believed and have done the righteous deeds will be rewarded with gardens flowing rivers of their underneath, which is the greatest success for them. He has also confirmed that the Quran is glorious and He has preserved it with Him at master tablet, which implies that if any modification or distortion is made to the revealed Quran by anyone will not go unpunished, being also an indication that the Quran is the final edition of His scripture, even the core message is found in the verse, 33:40.
Peaceful Friday, salaam and God bless.