- Praise be to God, who created the heavens and the earth, and made the darkness and the light. Yet, those who disbelieve in their Lord overlook His sovereignty (6:1). He is the One who created you from clay, then decreed a term for you, and a term that is only known to Him. Then, still you doubt (6:2)! He is God in the heavens and the earth. He knows your secrets and your declarations, and He knows what you earn (6:3). Whatever sign comes to them from their Lord, they turn away from it (6:4). They have denied the truth when it came to them, so the consequence will come to them of what they used to mock (6:5). Have they not seen how many of generations we have destroyed from before theirs? We established them in the earth what we have not established for you. And we sent abundant shower upon them of the sky and made the rivers flow from underneath them; then we destroyed them for their sins, and established other generations after them (6:6). Even if we had sent down to you a scripture written on paper, and they touched it with their hands, those who have disbelieved would say, “This is but a clever magic.” (6:7). They said, “If only an angel could come down with him!” Had we sent an angel, the matter would have been resolved, and they would not have been respited (6:8).
Note: Whatever signs come from God the disbelievers will consistently deny them but they cannot escape the consequence when it comes to them.
God is our Protector
- Had we sent an angel, we would have made him a man, and we would have made them confused as they are confused now (6:9). And indeed, of messengers before yours have been ridiculed, so those among them who mocked, suffered the consequences, what have done to mock at it (6:10). Say, “Roam the earth and note the consequences for the rejecters” (6:11). Say, “To whom belongs what in the heavens and the earth? “Say, “To God.” He has decreed mercy on Himself. He will surely gather you on the Day of Resurrection in which there is no doubt. Those who have lost their souls, they do not believe (6:12). To Him belongs what dwells in the night and the day. He is the Hearer, the Knower (6:13). Say, “Shall I accept other than God as a Protector, the Initiator of the heavens and the earth, and He feeds but is not fed?” Say, “I am commanded to be the first one who submits, and, `Do not be an idol worshiper’ ” (6:14). Say, “I fear, if I disobeyed my Lord, the retribution of an awesome day (6:15). “Whoever is spared on that day, then He had mercy on him, and that is the greatest success” (6:16). If God touches you with affliction, none can relieve it except He. And if He touches you with a blessing, then He is Omnipotent (6:17). He is the Supreme over His servants. He is the Most Wise, the Cognizant (6:18).
Note: God has assigned mercy to Himself and sent messengers to us to guide us but the rejecters will face the consequences on the Day of Resurrection in which there is no doubt.
God’s testimony is the greatest
- Say, “Which testimony is the greatest?” Say, “God is a witness between me and you, and this Quran has been revealed to me that I may warn you with it and whomever it reaches. Indeed, you bear witness that there are other gods beside God.” Say, “I do not bear witness; He is the Only one god, and I disown what you associate” (6:19). Those to whom we have given the scripture recognize this as they recognize their children. Those who lost their souls, they do not believe (6:20). Who is more wicked than one who invents a lie about God, or rejects His revelations? The wicked will never succeed (6:21).
Note: There is no other god except God and He is a witness between the prophet and the people that this Quran has been revealed through prophet Muhammad to warn people with it.
Polytheists deny their polytheism
- The day we gather them all, then we will say to those who set up partners, “Where are your partners whom you used to claim?” (6:22). Then they will have no plea except to say, “By God our Lord, we were not idol worshipers” (6:23). See how they lied against themselves and lost what they used to invent for them (6:24). Some of them listen to you, but we have placed veils on their hearts to prevent them from understanding it, and deafness in their ears, if they see every sign, they will not believe, and even when they come to you they argue, those who disbelieve say, “This is nothing but the tales from the past” (6:25). They forbid others from it and keep themselves away from it, and they destroy none but themselves without perceiving (6:26). And if you could see when they have been made standing over the Fire, they have said: “Oh! It would be that we could be sent back, we would not deny with our Lord’s revelations, and we would be with the believers!” (6:27). No, what they used to conceal has been exposed to them, and if they were sent back, they would return to what they were forbidden from, and they are but liars (6:28). They said, “There is nothing except our life of this world, and we will not be resurrected” (6:29). If you could only see them when they would stand before their Lord! He would say, “Is this not the truth?” They would say, “Yes, by our Lord.” He would say, “Taste the retribution that you used to disbelieve” (6:30). Certainly, those who denied in meeting of God had lost, until when the Hour comes to them suddenly, said, “Oh! Our regret for what we neglected about it.” And they will bear their burden on their backs; no doubt, what they bear committed evil! (6:31).
Note: Following God’s revelations, i.e., the Quran is our means to save us from the Fire on the Day of Judgment but most people disbelieve in it saying that this is nothing but the tales from the past. They keep themselves away from it and forbid others from it, even those who believe in it fail to understand it not to be sincere.
Rejecting God’s messengers is a human tragedy
- This worldly life is no more than play and amusement, while the abode of the Hereafter is far better for those who fear (God). Do you not then understand (6:32)? We know that you may be saddened by what they say; they are not rejecting you, but it is God’s revelations which the wicked disregard (6:33). Messengers before you were denied, but they were patient for what they were denied, and they were persecuted until our victory came to them; no one can change the words of God, and the news of the messengers has come to you (6:34). If their aversion is too much for you, then perhaps you could make a tunnel in the earth, or a ladder to the sky, and bring them a miracle. Had God willed, He would have gathered them to the guidance; so do not be of the ignorant ones (6:35). Only those who listen will respond. As for the dead, God will resurrect them, then to Him they will return (6:36).They said, “Why is not a sign sent down to him from his Lord?” Say, “God is able to send down a sign, but most of them do not know” (6:37).
Note: Though rejecting God’s messengers is a human tragedy but those who reject messengers do not reject them except God’s revelations. The prophet is advised to be patient as well as not to be an ignorant. If God willed, He would have gathered all to the guidance.
Deaf and dumb reject God’s revelations
- Not a creature on earth nor a bird that flies with its wings, are but communities like you. We did not leave anything out of the book; then to their Lord they will be gathered (6:38). Those who reject our revelations are deaf and dumb, in the darkness. Whomever God wills, He misguides, and whomever He wills, He leads in a straight path (6:39). Say, “Had you seen if the retribution of God came to you or the Hour came to you, would you implore other than God if you were truthful?” (6:40)? No, it is Him alone you will implore, and He will remove what you implore Him for, if He wills, and you will forget what you associate with Him (6:41). We have sent to communities before you, and we put them to the test through adversity and hardship, that they may implore (6:42). Then why did they not implore when our retribution came to them? But their hearts were hardened, and the devil adorned for them what they used to do (6:43). So when they forgot what they have been reminded of, we open for them the gates of all opportunities; when they rejoiced in what they were given, we punished them suddenly; they became utterly stunned (6:44). Thus, wiping out was the last reminder of the wicked people. Praise be to God, Lord of the universe (6:45).
Note: The Quran has everything including reminders to lead a righteous life but the devils have hardened the hearts of the rejecters and adorned their works in their eyes.
Role and responsibilities of the prophet
- Say: “Do you see that if God were to take away your hearing and your eye sight, and He seals your hearts; which god besides God can bring it to you?” Look how we cite the revelations, but then they turn away (6:46). Say: “Do you see if God’s retribution comes to you suddenly, or gradually, will anyone be destroyed except the wicked people” (6:47)? We do not send the messengers except as bearers of good news and warners. Those who believe and reform, then they have nothing to fear, nor will they grieve (6:48). And those who reject our revelations, the retribution will inflict them for what they used to defy (6:49). Say, “I do not say to you that I possess the treasures of God nor do I know the unseen nor do I say to you that I am an angel. I do not follow except what is revealed to me.” Say, “Are the blind and the seer the same? Then do you not think” (6:50)? And you (prophet) shall warn with it (Quran) those who fear that they will be gathered to their Lord; for them there is no protector other than Him nor is there any intercessor that they may fear (6:51). And do not turn away those who call on their Lord in the morning and evening seeking His presence. You are not responsible for their reckoning nor are they responsible for your reckoning. So if you turn them away, then you will be a wicked (6:52). Thus, we test them with one another, so that they may say: “Are these the ones whom God has blessed from amongst us?” Is God not aware of the thankful (6:53)? When those who believe in our revelations come to you, you shall say, “Peace be upon you.” Your Lord has decreed mercy on Himself that anyone among you who commits evil out of ignorance, then repents thereafter and reforms, then He is Forgiving, Most Merciful.” (6:54). Thus, we explain the revelations, and make clear the path of the guilty (6:55). Say, “I am forbidden from worshiping what you worship besides God.” Say, “I will not follow your desire otherwise, I would go astray and I would not be among the guided ones.” (6:56). Say, “I have clear proof from my Lord, and you have rejected it. It is not with me what you seek to hasten of it. The decision is only with God who narrates the truth, and He is the best judge.” (6:57). Say, “If I had what you were seeking to hasten of it, then the matter between us would have been resolved, and God is fully aware of the wicked.” (6:58).
Note: Since messengers are just bearers of good news and warners, the prophet was commanded to warn with the Quran to those who are aware that they will be gathered to their Lord and they do not have besides Him any protector nor an intercessor so that they may be righteous. He was also commanded to not worship what they used to worship besides God and to follow what is revealed to him.
God controls all matters through His system
- And with Him are keys of the unseen; none knows them except He. He knows what is in the land and the sea. And a leaf does not fall except He knows it, nor a seed in the earth darkness, nor moist or dry, except in a clear record (6:59). He is the One who takes you at night and knows what you have done during the day. Then He sends you back therein to fulfill a specified term. Then to Him is your final return and He will then inform you of what you used to do (6:60). He is the Supreme over His servants, and He sends guardians over you until when the death comes to any of you, our messengers take him, and they never fail (6:61). Then they are returned to God, their true Protector. To Him is the judgment and He is the swiftest in reckoning (6:62). Say, “Who saves you from the darkness of the land or the sea?” You call Him openly and secretly: “If He saves us this time, we will be the grateful ones.” (6:63). Say, “God does save you this time and any other times, yet you still set up partners.” (6:64) Say, “He is able to send retribution upon you from above you or from below you, or to confuse you dividing into sects to have taste of each other’s violence. See how we explain the revelations that they may understand.” (6:65). Your people have rejected this, even though this is the truth. Say, “I am not your guardian.” (6:66) Every prophecy has a specified term, and you will know at the right time (6:67).
Note: God controls all matters whether it is in the heavens or in the earth, or in the land or in the sea. He maintains precise record and is the swiftest in reckoning. He is our true Protector and to Him is our judgment.
Do not take religion to be your play and amusement
- When you see those who are engaged in vain talking of our revelations, you shall turn away from them until they move to another topic. If the devil causes you to forget, then, do not sit after the reminder with the wicked people (6:68). And not on those who fear (God) of their reckoning of anything except for a reminder that they shall fear (God) (6:69). And you (prophet) shall disregard those who have taken their religion as a play and an amusement, and the worldly life has deceived them. You shall remind with it lest a soul to be suffered for what it has earned; there is no protector other than God nor is there any intercessor. And if it offers, every ransom, it will not be accepted from it. Those are the ones who will be suffered for what they had earned. For them there is a drink of boiling water and a painful retribution because of what they used to disbelieve. (6:70). Say, “Shall we call upon other than God what cannot benefit us or harm us, and we turn back on our heels after God has guided us?” This is like the one whom the devils have managed to mislead on earth, he is confused, having friends who call him to the guidance: “Come to us!” Say, “God’s guidance is the true guidance, and we have been commanded to submit to the Lord of the universe (6:71). And that you shall observe the Contact Prayer (al-salata) and fear Him, and He is the One to Him you will be gathered.” (6:72). He is the One who created the heavens and the earth, truthfully, and the day He says, “Be,” then it is. His word is the absolute truth. To Him is the sovereignty, the day the horn will be blown. Knower of the unseen and the seen, He is the Most Wise, the Cognizant (6:73).
Note: If we are deceived by the worldly life accepting religion as a play and amusement, we will suffer on the day the horn will be blown for what we earn.
The debate of Abraham with the polytheists
- When Abraham said to his father Ãzer, “How do you take idols as gods? I see that you and your people have gone far astray.” (6:74). Thus, we showed Abraham the phenomenon of the heavens and the earth, so that he would be the one with certainty (6:75). When the night covered him, he saw a star and he said, “This is my Lord.” But when it disappeared, he said, “I do not like the ones that disappear.” (6:76). When he saw the moon rising, he said, “This is my Lord.” When it disappeared, he said, “Unless my Lord guides me, I will be with the strayers.” (6:77) When he saw the sun rising, he said, “This is my Lord, this is bigger.” But when it disappeared, he said, “O my people, I am free of what you associate (6:78). “I have turned my face to the One who created the heavens and the earth as a monotheist; and I am not with those who set up partners.” (6:79). His people argued with him. He said, “Do you argue with me about God when He has guided me? I do not fear of what you associate with Him except anything that my Lord wills. My Lord encompasses all things with knowledge, then will you not take heed? (6:80). Why should I fear of what you associate while should you not fear that you have associated with God what he sent down to you with no authority? Which of the two parties is worthy of security, if you know?” (6:81).
Note: God guided Abraham to turn to the One who created the heavens and the earth. He explored all possible ways to find God, the Creator of the heavens and the earth. He was a monotheist and had never set up partners with God.
Prophets who are mentioned by name
- Those who believed, and they do not mix their faith with wrong, those for them is the security and they are the guided ones (6:82). And this was our argument we gave to Abraham against his people. We raise to higher rank whomever we will. Indeed, your Lord is Wise, Knower (6:83). And we granted him Isaac and Jacob, both of them we guided, and Noah we guided from before and of his descendants: David, Solomon, Job, Joseph, Moses, and Aaron. And thus, we reward the righteous (6:84). And Zachariah, John, Jesus, and Elias; all were righteous (6:85). And Ismail, Elisha, Jonah, and Lot, and all we preferred over all the people (6:86). And from their fathers, their descendants and their brothers, we chose them and we guided them to a straight path (6:87). That is God’s guidance, with it He guides whomever He wills from His servants. But if they had associated partners, surely, He made worthless for them what they had done (6:88). Those were the ones to whom we have given the scripture, the wisdom, and the prophethood. But if any of these would disbelieve in it, then we had entrusted with it to a people who had not been disbelievers in it (6:89). Those are the ones whom God guided; so you (Muhammad) shall follow of their guidance. Say, “I (Muhammad) do not ask you any reward for it. It is not but a reminder for the worlds.” (6:90)
Note: If we read the verses 83-86, we read 18 names starting with Abraham and ending with Lot and the verse 89 confirms that all these 18 were prophets of God. The verse 90 confirms that they were truly guided by God, and Muhammad is advised to make efforts to achieve at their level of guidance.
God should be honored as He should be honored
- They did not honor God as He should be honored. Thus, they said, “God does not reveal anything to any human being.” Say, “Who revealed the scripture that Moses brought, with it a light and guidance for the people?” You put it into parchments disclosing it while concealing a lot. You were taught what neither you nor your fathers knew. Say, “God does.” Then leave them in their discourse, playing (6:91). This is a blessed scripture that we have revealed confirming the previous ones, and that you may warn the central community and who are around it. Those who believe in the Hereafter will believe in this, and will be dedicated in their Salat prayer (6:92). And who is more wicked than one who invents a lie about God, or said: “It has been inspired to me,” when we did not inspire anything to him; or who said: “I will reveal the same as what God has revealed.” And if you could only see the wicked at the moments of death when the angels have their arms opened: “Bring yourselves out, today you will be given the severest punishment for what you used to say about God without truth, and you were arrogant towards His revelations” (6:93). And certainly, you have come back to us as individual as we created you first time, and you left behind your backs whatever we had bestowed on you. And we do not see with you your intercessors those whom you claimed that they were partners in you. Indeed, what has severed between you and has lost from you what you used to claim.” (6:94).
Note: The wicked invent lies about God and claim that they can the same what God has revealed. Thus, they reject God’s revelations.
Signs in the nature to understand God’s system
- God is the One who causes the grains and the seeds to cleave. He brings the living from the dead, and the dead from the living. Such is God’s system; then how are you deluded! (6:95) He causes the daybreak and has made the night for rest in; and the sun and the moon for reckoning. Such is the design of the Almighty, the Omniscient (6:96). And He is the One who made the stars for you to guide you by them in the darkness of the land and the sea. Thus, we make clear the signs to a people who know (6:97). He is the One who initiated you from one person with a place of dwelling and destination. Thus, we have explained the signs to a people who understand (6:98). He is the One who sends down water from the sky, whereby we produce all kinds of plants. We produce from it the green, from which produce multiple seeds; and what is from the palm trees, from its sheaths hanging low and near; and gardens of grapes, olives and pomegranate, similar and not similar. Look at its fruits when it blossoms and its ripeness. In this, there are signs for a people who believe (6:99). Yet, they set up partners with God from among the jinns, while He had created them. And they attribute to Him sons and daughters, without having any knowledge. Be He glorified, far above what they attribute (6:100). The Initiator of the heavens and the earth. How can He have a son, when He never had a mate? He created all things, and He is knowledgeable over all things (6:101).
Note: God has created all things and He is knowledgeable over all of them as well. He has also given us many signs in the nature to understand His system.
God controls our hearts and sight
- Such is God your Lord, there is no god except He, the Creator of all things. Hence, you shall worship Him and He has control over all things (6:102). No visions can encompass Him, but He encompasses all visions. He is the Compassionate, the Cognizant (6:103). Enlightenments have come to you from your Lord, so whoever sees, does so for his soul, but whoever is blind, does so against his soul. I am not your guardian (6:104). Thus, we explain the revelations, and that they may say, “You have studied”, and we will make it clear for a people who know (6:105). You (prophet) shall follow what has been inspired to you from your Lord that there is no god except He, and turn from the idolaters (6:106). If God had willed, they would not have associated partners (with Him). And we have not made you (prophet) a guardian over them, nor are you as an advocate over them (6:107). And you are not to insult those who call on other than God, lest they insult God in enemity without having knowledge. Thus, we have made fair seeming their deed for every community. Then to their Lord is their return when He will inform them of what they used to do (6:108). And they swore by God taking their strongest oaths that if a miracle came to them they would believe in it. Say, “The miracles are only with God; and what makes you know that if it comes, they will not believe (6:109)? And we turn their hearts and their sight as they did not believe in it the first time, and we leave them in their transgressions, blundering (6:110). Even if we had sent down the angels to them, and the dead had spoken to them and we had gathered everything before them; they would not believe except if God wills. Indeed, most of them are ignorant (6:111).
Note: Enlightenments have come in the Quran from our Lord, so whoever sees, does so for his soul, but whoever is blind, does so against his soul. Thus, those who believe in God and the Hereafter should believe and worship Him unconditionally to avoid idol worshiping what the Satan has adorned in the eyes of the disbelievers.
Follow what has been given from God instead of any conjecture
- Thus, we have permitted the enemies of every prophet, the devils from the human and the jinn to inspire in each other fancy words, in order to deceive. Had your Lord willed, they would not have done it. You shall disregard them and what they fabricate (6:112). This is so that the hearts of those who do not believe in the Hereafter listen to it, and accept it, and thus, they commit what they are committing (6:113). Then should I seek other than God as a judge while He has revealed to you the scripture explained in detail? And those whom we gave them the scripture know that it is a sent down from your Lord with the truth. So, you should not be with the doubtful ones (6:114). And your Lord’s word has completed truth and justice. There is none who can make changes to His words, and He is the Hearer, the Knower (6:115). If you obey most in the earth, they will lead you to astray from the path of God; they do not follow except the conjecture, nor do they except the guess (6:116). Indeed, your Lord, He is Knower of who strays from His path, and He is Knower of the guided ones (6:117).
Note: We must follow what has been given from God instead of any man-made doctrine to be guided by Him as His word has been completed with truth and justice.
To mention God’s name is required before we eat
- So, you shall eat from that on it God’s name has been mentioned, if you have been believers in His revelations (6:118). And why should you not eat that on which God’s name has been mentioned, when He has fully detailed to you what has been made forbidden; except what you were forced to do? Most misguide by their desires without knowledge; your Lord is fully aware of the transgressors.(6:119). You shall avoid obvious sins, as well as the hidden ones. Those who have earned sins will be punished for what they have committed (6:120). Do not eat from that on which God’s name has not been mentioned, for it is disobedience, and the devils inspire their allies to argue with you; if you obey them, you will be idol worshipers (6:121). Is one who was dead and we gave him life, and provided him with light that enables him to move among the people, equal to one in total darkness from which he can never exit? The works of the disbelievers are thus adorned in their eyes (6:122). We allow the leading criminals of every community to plot and scheme. But they only plot and scheme against their own souls, without perceiving (6:123).
Note: God has detailed out what He has forbidden for us but we should mention God’s name when we eat otherwise we will be allies of the Satan who is unappreciative to God.
Quran is the straight path to our Lord
- When a proof comes to them, they say, “We will not believe, unless we are given the same what is given to God’s messengers!” God knows who is the best qualified to deliver His message. Such criminals will suffer debasement at God, and a painful retribution for what they had schemed (6:124). So whoever God wishes to guide, He will open his chest towards submission; and whoever He wishes to misguide, He will make his chest tight and constricted, as one who is climbing towards the sky. It is such that God afflicts those who do not believe (6:125). And this is the straight path to your (Muhammad) Lord. Unquestionably, we have explained the revelations for people who take heed (6:126). They have deserved the abode of peace at their Lord; He is their protector because of what they used to do (6:127). And the day He will gather them all: “O tribes of Jinn, you have managed to take many humans.” Their allies from the humans said: “Our Lord, we have indeed enjoyed one another, and we have reached our destiny to which You delayed us.” He said: “The Fire is your abode wherein you will abide forever, in accordance with God’s will.” Your Lord is Wise, Omniscient (6:128). Thus, we match the wicked to be allies of each other for what they had earned (6:129). O you jinns and humans, did not messengers come to you from amongst you reciting to you My revelations, and warn you about the meeting of this day? They will say, “We bear witness against ourselves.” And the worldly life deceived them, and they will bear witness against themselves that they were disbelievers (6:130). That is not why your Lord was to destroy the cities for wickedness, while its people were unaware (6:131). Everyone will attain a rank according to what they had done, and your Lord is not unaware of anything they do (6:132). And your Lord is the Rich, the Possessor of mercy. If He wills, He could remove you and bring after you whom He wills, just like He raised you from the descendants of other people (6:133). What you are promised will come, and you cannot escape it (6:134). Say, “O my people, do your best, so I will.” Soon you will know who have his final home. Certainly, the wicked will not succeed (6:135).
Note: God has detailed out everything in the Quran to have the final home for those who believe in it and follow it.
To make efforts to avoid any kinds of idol worshiping
- They made a portion to God of what He provided them of crops and the livestock saying, “This share belongs to God,” by their claims, “and this share belongs to our partners.” So what was for their partners did not reach God, and what was for God, it reached their partners! Miserable is how they judged (6:136). And thus, the idol worshipers by their partners, kill their children in order to turn them and to confuse their religion for them. Had God willed, they would not have done this, so ignore them and what they invent (6:137). They said, “These are livestock and crops that are forbidden; none can eat them except whomever we will,” by their claim. And forbidden of riding on livestock and livestock on which they do not mention God’s name are invention against Him. He will requite them for what they have invented (6:138). They said, “What is in the bellies of these livestock is exclusively for the males among us, and prohibited for our women.” but if it is still-born, then all have share therein. He will certainly requite them for their innovations. He is Most Wise, Omniscient (6:139). Losers are those who have killed their children foolishly, without knowledge, and they forbade what God had granted them by lying about God. They have strayed and they were not guided (6:140). He is the One who established gardens, trellised and untrellised, and palm trees, and crops with different tastes, and olives, and pomegranate – fruits that are similar and not similar. Eat from their fruits when they ripen, and give its due on the day of harvest, and do not be extravagant. He does not love the extravagant (6:141).
Note: We should eat what God has made lawful for us and upholding any other inventions would be setting up partners with Him, and should give what is due on the day of harvest without being extravagant.
Details of dietary prohibition
- And from the livestock there are burden and meat. Eat from what God has provided you and do not follow the footsteps of the Satan; he is your known enemy (6:142). There are eight pairs -of the sheep two, and of the goats two, say, “Are the two males that He has prohibited, or the two females, or the contents of the wombs of the two females? Inform me what you know, if you are truthful” (6:143), of the camels two, and of the cattle two, say, “Are the two males that He has prohibited, or the two females, or the contents of the wombs of the two females? Were you witnesses when God enjoined you this? Who is more evil than the one who invents a lie against God to mislead the people without knowledge? God does not guide the wicked people” (6:144). Say, “I do not find in what has been revealed to me forbidden for any eater who eats it except that it is:(1) dead, or (2) blood, or (3) the meat of pig due to its contamination, or (4) blasphemously dedicated to other than God.” However, whoever is forced without seeking disobedience or transgression, then your Lord is Forgiving, Merciful (6:145). And for the Jews we have forbidden all that have claws; and from the cattle and the sheep we forbade their fat except what is attached to the back, or entrails, or mixed with bone. That is a punishment for their rebellion, and we are truthful (6:146). If they deny you, then say: “Your Lord has infinite mercy, but His wrath will not be turned away from the guilty people” (6:147). Those who have set-up partners will say: “If God willed, we would not have set-up partners, nor would have our fathers, nor would have we forbidden anything.” Those before them lied in the same way, until they tasted our retribution. Say: “Do you have any knowledge to bring out to us? You only follow conjecture, you only guess” (6:148).
Note: God has prohibited 4 kinds of animal products: (1) dead animal, (2) blood, (3) the meat of pig due to its contamination and (4) the animal which is dedicated to other than God.
Criteria that need to fulfill to be guided by God
- Say, “With God is the greatest argument; if He willed, He would have guided you all.” (6:149) Say: “Bring forth your witnesses who bear witness that God has forbidden this.” If they bear witness, then do not bear witness with them, nor follow the desires of those who deny our revelations, and those who do not believe in the Hereafter; and they make equals with their Lord! (6:150) Say: “Come let me recite to you what your Lord has forbidden for you that you should not set-up anything with Him; and be kind to your parents; and do not kill your unborn children for fear of poverty, we provide for you and for them; and do not come near lewdness, which is apparent or concealed; and do not kill the life which has been forbidden by God, except for justice. That is what He enjoined you that you may comprehend.” (6:151). Do not touch the wealth of the orphans except what is best until they reached their maturity and give full measure and weight equitably. We do not burden a soul except by what it can bear, and if you speak, then be just even if he is one of your relatives; and fulfill the pledge made to God that He has enjoined on you so that you may be appreciative.” (6:152). And this is My path, a straight one, so you shall follow it, and do not follow the other paths lest they divert you from His path. That is what He has enjoined you that you fear (6:153). Then we gave Moses the scripture completing for those who did righteous works and fully detailing all things, and a guidance and mercy that they may believe in the meeting of their Lord (6:154). And this is a scripture what we have revealed is blessed; so you shall follow it and fear (God) that you are given mercy (6:155). Lest you say: “The scripture was only sent down to two groups before us, and we were unaware of their teachings!” (6:156) Nor can you say: “If the scripture was sent to us we would have been more guided than they!” The proof has come to you from your Lord, and a guidance and a mercy. Who is more wicked than one who denies God’s revelations and turns away from them? We will punish those who turn away from our revelations with the painful retribution for what they turned away (6:157). Are they waiting that the angels come to them, or your Lord comes, or it comes certain signs of your Lord? A day when comes certain signs of your Lord will not benefit a soul for its faith, if it had not believed from before, or had earned a good through its faith. Say, “Wait, we are waiting.” (6:158)
Note: Certain criteria are required to fulfill to be guided by God, However, those who follow it (Quran) and lead a righteous life may receive God’s mercy.
All our praise and prayers must be devoted to God
- Those who have divided their religion to become sects do not belong with you. Their matter will be with God, then He will inform them of what they had done (6:159). Whoever has come with a good work will receive ten times with the like of it and whoever has come with an evil work will not be requited except with the like of it, they will not be wronged (6:160). Say, “My Lord has guided me in a straight path – the perfect religion of Abraham, a true monotheist, and he was never an idol worshiper.” (6:161). Say, “My Contact Prayers, my worship practices, my life and my death, are devoted absolutely to God, the Lord of the universe (6:162). He has no partners. This is what I am commanded to believe, and I am first to submit.” (6:163) Say: “Shall I seek other than God as a Lord when He is the Lord of everything?” And every soul earns what is for it, and none will bear the burden of another. Then to your Lord is your return and He will inform you of what you disputed in (6:164). He is the One who has made you the inheritors of the earth, and He has raised some of you above others in ranks, that He may test you in what He has given you. Surely, your Lord is swift in enforcing retribution, and He is Forgiving, Most Merciful (6:165).
Note: If we really want to be appreciative to our Lord, we must dedicate all our praise and prayers to God who has made us the inheritors of the earth with all that we need to live here.
In summary, there are 165 verses in the sura Al-An’am and the most significant aspects that are covered in the sura are: (1) sufficient signs around us to believe in the sovereignty of God, (2) God is our Protector, (3) polytheists deny their polytheism, (4) rejecting God’s messengers is a human tragedy, (5) deaf and dumb reject God’s revelations, (6) role and responsibilities of the prophet, (7) God controls all matters through His system, (8) not to take religion to be play and amusement, (9) the debate of Abraham with the polytheists, (10) prophets who are mentioned by name, (11) God should be honored as He should be honored, (12) signs in the nature to understand God’s system, (13) God controls our hearts and sight, (14) follow what has been given from God instead of any conjecture, (15) to remember God’s name is required before we eat, (16) Quran is the straight path to our Lord, (17) to make efforts to avoid any kinds of idol worshiping, (18) details of dietary prohibition, (19) criteria that need to fulfill to be guided by God, and (20) all our praise and prayers must be devoted to God.
Enlightenments have come in the Quran, which is a straight path for us to our Lord. Now if we follow it, we may successfully return to our Lord being guided by Him as well as to avoid any painful retribution on the Day of Resurrection confirming all our praise and prayers dedicated to God.
Peaceful Friday, salaam and God bless.