- (By) Ha Meem (46:1).
Note: The statement in 46:1 is an oath of God consisting of Arabic letters ‘Ha’ and ‘Meem’ known as the Quranic initials at the very beginning of the sura, which affirms subsequent statements. However, the quranic initials are also the lower level physical proofs of the numerical structure of Quran, and the total occurrence of these letters ‘Ha’ and ‘Meem’ in the Arabic text of 7 suras 40 through 46 is a multiple of 19 =>292 (Ha) + 1855 (Meem) = 2147 = 19 x 113.
Creation of heavens and earth for a specific term
- The revelation of this scripture is from God, the Almighty, Most Wise (46:2). We did not create the heavens and the earth, and everything between them except with truth and a specific term. But those who disbelieve turn away from what they are warned with (46:3).
Note: Taking oath God has confirmed that the Quran is from God, the Almighty, the Most Wise while the creation of the heavens and earth for a specific term is based on justification. But the disbelievers fail to reflect to their creation and turn away from His revelation revealed with warnings.
Those who callon other than God are in far astray
- Say, “Do you see what you call on besides God? Show me what they have created on the earth, or do they have a share in the heavens? Bring me a scripture before this, or any piece of information, if you are truthful.”(46:4). And who is more astray than one who calls on other than God that do not respond to him even till the Day of Resurrection? And they are unaware of their calls!(46:5). And when mankind to be gathered, they will be their enemiesand will deny their idolization (46:6).
Note:Those who idolize are in far astray as their calls never reach to their idols. The idols are powerless and are not able to respond to their calls but they will be the enemies of the idolizers on the Day of Resurrection. Hence, those who idolize are stupid but they are losers on the Day of Judgment.
Disbelievers deny truth from God
- When our clear revelations were recited to them, those who disbelieved to the truththat came to them said, “This is clear magic!” (46:7). Or they say, “He fabricated this,” say, “If I fabricated this, then you cannot protect me from God. He is fully aware of everything you say. He suffices as a witness between me and you. He is the Forgiver, Most Merciful.” (46:8). Say, “I am not different from other messengers, nor do I know what will happen to me or to you. I only follow what is revealed to me. I am no more than just a warner.” (46:9).
Note:The majority people deny the truth from God when it comes to them through His messengers and become disbelievers considering it either magic or man-made fabrication while the role of all messengersis the same just being warners.The commandment of not to make any distinction between any messengers of God is further clarified. Hence, the focus on His messengers instead of message or to give higher rank to any of His messengers is the violation of teaching in the Quran.
Consequence of the rejecters of Quran
- Say, “what will happen to you if it were from God, and you rejected it, and a witness from the Children of Israel testified to the like of it, and he believed, while you are arrogant? Surely, God does not guide the wicked people.”(46:10). Those who had rejected said about those who had believed: “If it had been any good, they would not have preceded us to it.” And when they are not guided by it, they will say: “This is an old fabrication!” (46:11). Before this, the scripture of Moses was a guide and a mercy. And this scripture confirming in Arabic language, is to warn those who transgressed, and to give good news to the righteous (46:12).
Note: There are enough evidences to believe that the Quran is from God but the arrogant never see them. Thus, the rejecters rejected it saying that there is no good in it except old fabrication. However, it is a guide and a mercy in Arabic language like the scripture of Musa to warn the transgressors as well as to give good news to the righteous. Hence, the basic teaching in any divine scripture is warning and guidance. This is another instance which indicates that prophet Muhammad was a messenger like prophet Musa and this is a fact as Musa preceded Muhammad.
Paradise is a reward for the steadfast while believing in God
- Surely, those who say, “Our Lord is God,” then are steadfast, they will have no fear, nor will they grieve (46:13). These are the dwellers of Paradise wherein they will abide forever; a reward for what they used to do (46:14).
Note: Just believing in God is not enough to be eligible for a reward from God without being steadfast while steadfastness is one of the traits of believers that qualifies them to enter Paradise as a reward for their devotion, i.e., for doing good works being only loyal to God.
Honoring parents and best time to repent and submit to God
- We enjoined the human being to honor his parents. His mother bore him with hardship, gave birth to him in hardship, and took care of him for thirty months. When he reaches maturity, and reaches forty years,he says, “My Lord, direct me to appreciate the blessings You have bestowed upon me and upon my parents, and to do the righteous works that please You. Let my children be righteous as well. I have repented to You; I am a submitter.” (46:15). They are those from whom we accept their good works, and will overlook their evil works, are among the dwellers of Paradise. This is the truthful promise that is promised to them (46:16).
Note: God has made it requirement for all of us to honor our parents. We are not just to take care of our parents but we should also follow their feet steps if they are righteous. There is opportunity for our forgiveness if we repent for the mistakes that we made in the past and submit to God at the age of 40 when we are not only physically strong but also mentally matured to take responsibility as well as to distinguish between right and wrong to lead a righteous. God has confirmed that He will accept their good works and will overlook their past sins, and they will be among the dwellers of Paradise but there is no mention of what will happen if anyone dies or gets killed before the age of 40 in any of the above two verses.
Consequence of those who do not follow the righteous parents
- And the one who says to his parents, “Fie to you! Are you promising me that I will be resurrected, when the generations who died before me never came back?” And they will implore God, “Woe to you, believe! For God’s promise is the truth.” But he says, “This is nothing but tales from the past!”(46:17). These are the ones who have justified the punishment against them in nations who had come before them of humans and Jinn; indeed, they are the losers(46:18).
Note: There are those among us who will neither repent nor submit to God at the age of 40 nor will they follow the feet steps of their righteous parents, but disbelieve in the resurrection saying that this is nothing but the tales from the past are the losers from both of humans and jinns.
- And they all attain status in accordance with their works, and He will compensate them for their works, and no injustice is to be done to them (46:19). The day when those who disbelieved will be exposed to the Fire: “You have misused the blessings given to you during your worldly life while you took pleasure in them. So, today you will be recompensed with a shameful retribution for your arroganceon earth without justification as well as for your disobedience.” (46:20).
Note: Everyone will attain status according to their works while the disbelievers will be recompensed with a painful distribution on the promised day for their arroganceon earth without justification as well as for their disobedience.
The people of dunes were destroyed by the storm
- Recall that the brother of `Ãd warned his people at the dunes – numerous warnings were delivered before him and after him: “You shall not worship except God. I fear for you the retribution of a great day.” (46:21). They said, “Have you come to us to turn us away from our gods? Then bring us what you threaten us, if you are truthful.” (46:22). He said, “The knowledge about this is with God; I only convey to you what I have been sent with, but I see you are an ignorant people.” (46:23). When they saw a cloud approaching towards their valleys, they said, “This cloud is bringing us rain.” No, this is what you were asking to be hastened; a wind wherein there is a painful retribution(46:24). It destroyed everything, by the command of its Lord. Then they became such that nothing was seen except their homes. Thus, we recompense the guilty people(46:25). We had established them in the same way as we established you, and provided them with hearing, vision and hearts. But their hearing, vision and hearts did not help them at all. Since they rejected God’s revelations, they were encompassed by that what they used to ridicule(46:26).
Note: The key message that all messengers delivered is “You shall not worship except God. I fear for you the retribution on the promised day.” Hud, the brother of `Ãd did the same but his people asked him to bring the retribution that he threatened with. Although they were established with hearing, vision and hearts but that did not work for them because of their ignorance, and were destroyed by the painful wind and the destruction was such that nothing was seen except their homes. Such was the consequence of those who rejected God’s revelations in the past that may serve as a lesson for us to make our utmost efforts to follow God’s revelations, i.e., the Quran in our case. It is also noteworthy that the people of Ad were famous for tall building in the city of Iram, which was discovered in 1992 after 4800 years of the destruction and disappearance of the city of Iram in Umman with the help of the Challenger spaceship equipped with SIR-B radars that could see under the sand.
Taking anything other than God is falsehood and invention
- We destroyed the towns around you while we have shown the various signsthat they may return. (46:27). Then why did not those help them whom they had taken other than God to be the way of approaching gods? But they lost them as that was their falsehood and invention (46:28).
Note: Many towns were destroyed when they failed to see the signs given to them. However, those signs did not work for them as they had taken gods other than God, which was falsehood and innovation.
Quran is the guidance for both human and jinn being
- When we directed a number of jinns to you, in order to listen to the Quran, they attended it, andsaid, “Listen quietly.” As soon as it was over, they returned back to their people as warners (46:29). They said, “O our people, we have heard a scripture revealed after Moses, confirming what was before it; guiding to the truth and to the right path (46:30).O our people, respond to God’s caller, and believe in Him. He will then forgive your sins, and will protect you from a painful retribution.” (46:31). And whoever does not respond to God’s caller, then he cannot escape on the earth, and he will not have any protectors other than Him. These are in far astray(46:32). Do they not see that God is the One who created the heavens and the earth, and was not exhausted by their creation, is able to give life to the dead? Yes, He is indeed able to do all things (46:33). The day the disbelievers are exposed to the Fire: “Is this not the truth?” They will answer, “Yes, by our Lord.” He will say, “Then taste the retribution that you used to disbelieve.” (46:34).
Note: Prophet Muhammad was a messenger like prophet Musa, who delivered the Quran confirming the previous scripture and containing guidance to the truth and the right path. A number of jinns was directed to listento it, who warned their fellow jinns to believe in God to protect them from the painful retribution as there is no any protector other than Him. God has created the heavens and the earth with the least effort as He possesses infinite power and is able to do all things. However, the disbelievers who do not respond to God’s caller will taste the retribution for what they used to disbelieve.
Prophet is enjoined to be patient to see the retribution
- Therefore, be patient like the messengers before you who possessed strength and resorted to patience. Do not be in a hurry to see the retribution that will inevitably come to them. The day they see it, it will seem as if they lasted one hour of the day. This is a proclamation: “Will any be destroyed except the wicked people?” (46:35).
Note: The prophet is commanded to possess strength like messengers before him and to be patient to see the retribution that will come to the disbelievers. The day they see it, they will realize that they have lasted one hour of the day on earth. However, what has been confirmed is none but the wicked people were destroyed.
The sura begins with a statement of God’s oath consisting of two Quranic initials Ha and Meem, and the true believers can only realize how awesome the God’s oath is! This oath affirms that the Quran is from God, the Almighty, the Most Wise while the creation of the heavens and earth for a specific term is based on justification. But the disbelievers fail to reflect to their creation and turn away from His revelation containing warnings. However, the quranic initials are also the lower level physical proofs of the numerical structure of Quran, and the total occurrence of theseletters ‘Ha’ and ‘Meem’ in the Arabic text of 7 suras: 40 through 46 is a multiple of 19 =>292 (Ha) + 1855 (Meem) = 2147 = 19 x 113.
There are 35 verses in suraAl-Ahqaf and the most significant aspects that are covered in the sura under oath are: (1) creation of heavens and earth for a specific term, (2) disbelieversfail to reflect to the creationand turnaway from God’s warnings, (3)who call on other than God are in far astray, (4) disbelievers deny the truth from God, (5) consequence of rejecters of Quran, (6) prophet Muhammad was a messenger like prophet Musa, (7) Paradise is to be granted to a steadfastwhile believing in God, (8) commandment of honoring parents (9) compensation of repenting and submitting to God at the age of 40, (10) Consequence of those who do not follow their righteous parents, (11) fair judgment, (12) destruction of people of dunes by storm, (13) taking anything as god other than God is falsehood and invention, (14) Quran is the guidance for both human and jinn being, (15) Prophet is enjoined to be patient to see the retribution of the disbelievers.
There is new information around us in light of the verse 46:15 that those who die or get killed before the age of forty will go to Heaven as the Quran sets the age of responsibility at 40. If the person nourishes his soul while believing in God will go to High Heaven otherwise he will go to Lower Heaven. But it is a mystery to many that what will happen to the people who have committed horrendous crimes but die or get killed or hanged because of justice before the age of 40 while the Quran teaches us that God forgives lesser offenses but not the greater ones. The logic that is given to clarify it that God knows who deserve Paradise or Hell, and He terminates our life on earth, so such criminals will not die or get killed before the age of 40.However, we should not hasten if we are not clear in any matter but should be patient and implore God to increase our knowledge to understand it better on our way.
Quran has confirmed that taking anything other than God is falsehood and innovation, and those who call on other than God are in far astray. It contains warnings for the transgressors and guidance for the righteous while it is guidance for both humans and jinns.It is a guide and a mercy in Arabic language like the scripture of Musa to warn the transgressors as well as to give good news to the righteous which indicates that prophet Muhammad was a messenger like prophet Musa. There are enough evidences to believe that the Quran is from God but the arrogant never see them except old fabrication. Hence, the focus on His messengers instead of message or to give higher rank to any of His messengers is the violation of teaching in the Quran, and we wish we will not be among them who violate His laws and teaching to avoid the painful retribution on the promised day.
Peaceful Friday, salaam and God bless.