Out of 331 instances of rasūl in the Quran, 286 instances in 249 verses across 46 surahs along with 10 instances of risālat in 10 verses are reviewed, while reviewing of the instances of rasūl in a series of khutbah may help us to make a clear distinction between the closely related terms: risaalat, rasuul and mur’sal as well as to make a clear distinction between the terms, rasuul and nabiy. While review of 45 instances of rasuul in 38 verses across 15 surahs is a last one in the series completing review of 331 instances of rasuul found in 287 verses in the Quran across 61 surahs:
Instances of rasūl
[58:4] So whoever does not find (a slave to free), then fasting of two consecutive months before that they both touch each other. But whoever cannot do (fasting), then feeding of sixty needy. That is that you believe in God and His messenger (dhaalika litu’minuu bil-lahi wa-rasuulihi), and that is of God’s limits, while there is a painful punishment for the disbelievers.
[58:5] Indeed, those who oppose God and His messenger have been disgraced as had been disgraced those before themselves (inna alladheena yuhaadduuna allaha wa-rasuulahu kubituu kamaa kubita alladheena min qablihim). Certainly, we have sent down clear revelations, while there is a humiliating punishment for the disbelievers.
[58:8] Do you (prophet) not see to those who have been forbidden from the secret counsel, then they return to that what they have been forbidden from it? And they hold secret counsel for the sin, and the aggression, and disobedience of the messenger (wa-yatanaajawna bil-ith’mi wal-`ud’waani wa-ma`siyati al-rasuuli). And when they have come to you (prophet), they have greeted you with what not to greet you is God with it. And they say among themselves: “Why does not God punish us for what we say?” Their sufficiency is Hell, they will burn in it; so has been the worst destination.
[58:9] O you who have believed, when you have held secret counsel, then you do not hold secret counsel for the sin, and the aggression, and disobedience of the messenger (fa-laa-tatanaajaw bil-ith’mi wal-`ud’waani wa-ma`siyati al-rasuuli), while you hold secret counsel for the uprightness and the righteousness, and you shall fear God, the One to Him you will be gathered.
[58:12] O you who have believed, when you have consulted the messenger (idhaa naajaytumu al-rasuula), then you shall offer charity before your consultation. That is better for you, and purer. But if you cannot find (anything to offer), then indeed, God is Forgiving, Merciful.
[58:13] Have you been afraid that you can offer charities before your consultation? So when you cannot do while God has turned to you. So you shall observe the Contact Prayer and shall give the Obligatory Charity, and shall obey God and His messenger (fa-aqeemuu al-salata wa-aatuu al-zakata wa-atee`uu allaha wa-rasuulahu). And God is Cognizant of what you do.
[58:20] Indeed, those who oppose God and His messenger (inna alladheena yuhaadduuna allaha wa-rasuulahu), those will be with the humiliated ones.
[58:21] God has decreed: “Surely, I will overcome; I and My messengers (la-aghlibanna anaa wa-rusuli-i).” Indeed, God is Strong, Almighty.
[58:22] You will not find a people who believe in God and the Last Day love whoever has opposed God and His messenger (laa-tajidu qawman yu’minuuna bil-lahi wal-yawmi al-aakhiri yuwaadduuna man haadda allaha wa-rasuulahu), even if they have been their fathers, or their sons, or their brothers, or their relatives. Those – He has prescribed the faith in their hearts and has supported them with inspiration from Him. And He will admit them into Gardens flowing the rivers of their underneath being dwellers therein. God has been pleased with them and they have been pleased with Him. Those are a party of God. Undoubtedly; indeed, a party of God – they are the successful ones.
[59:4] That is of that they have opposed God and His messenger (dhaalika bi-annahum shaaqquu allahu wa-rasuulahu), and whoever opposes God, then indeed, God is severe in the retribution.
[59:6] Whatever (war spoils) God has restored to His messenger from them (wa-maa afaa-a allahu `alaa rasuulihi min’hum, then you have not made it neither of horses nor of camels (not your fighting efforts made with it) but God has empowered His messengers over whomever He wills (wa-laakinna allahu yusallitu rusulahu `alaa man yashaa-u), and God has power over everything.
[59:7] Whatever (spoils of war) God has restored to His messenger from the people of the towns is for God and for His messenger (maa afaa-a allahu `alaa rasuulihi min ahli al-quraa fa-lillahi wa-lilrrasuulihi), and for whoever of the relatives, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer that it would not be a circulation between the rich among you. And whatever the messenger has given you, then you shall take it (wa-maa aataakumu al-rasuula fa-khudhuuhu) and whatever he forbids you from it, then you shall refrain. And you shall fear God. Indeed, God is severe in the retribution.
[59:8] For the poor of the emigrants those who have been driven out from their homes and their properties, they seek bounty from God and pleasure, and help God and His messenger (yab’taghuuna fadlan mina allahi wa-rid’waanan wa-yansuruuna allaha wa-rasuulahu), those – they are the truthful ones.
[60:1] O you who have believed, you do not take My enemy and your enemy as allies offering to them with the love, while certainly, they have disbelieved in what had come to you with the truth driving out the messenger and yourselves (wa-qad kafaruu bimaa jaa-akum mina al-haqqi yukh’rijuuna al-rasuula wa-iyyaakum) that you believe in God, your Lord, if you have come forth with striving in My path and seeking My pleasure. You entrust on them with the love while I am Knower of what you have concealed and what you have declared, and whoever does it among you, then certainly, he has strayed off the even path.
[61:5] And when Moses said to his people: “O my people, why do you hurt me while certainly, you know that I am a messenger of God to you (yaaqawmi lima tudhuunani-i wa-qad ta`lamuuna anni-i rasuula allahi ilaykum)?” Then when they had deviated, God deviated their hearts, while God does not guide the disobedient people.
[61:6] And when Jesus, son of Mary, said: “O children of Israel; indeed, I am a messenger of God to you, confirming that which was before myself of the Torah (inni-i rasuulu allahi ilaykum musaddiqan limaa bayna yadayya mina al-tawraati), and a bringer of good news of a messenger to come after me, his name is Ahmad (wa-mubashiran bi-rasuulin yatee min ba`di-i us’muhu ahmadu).” Then when he had come to them with the clear proofs, they said: “This is a clear magic.”
[61:9] He is the One who has sent His messenger with the guidance and a religion of the truth that He would make it prevail over the religion of any of it (huwa alladhee arsalnaa rasuulahu bil-hudaa wa-deeni al-haqqi liyuz’hirahu `alaa al-deeni kullihu), even the idolaters dislike.
[61:11] You should believe in God and His messenger and should strive in God’s path with your wealth and your lives (tuminuuna bil-lahi wa-rasuulihi wa-tujaahiduuna fee sabeeli allahi bi-am’waalikum wa-anfusikum). That is better for you, if you have done to know.
[62:2] He is the One who has raised a messenger (Muhammad) in the gentiles from them (huwa alladhee ba`atha fee al-ummiyeena rasuulan min’hum) to recite to them His revelations, and to purify them, and to teach them the scripture and the wisdom, while they have been surely in far astray before.
[63:1] When had come to you (prophet) the hypocrites, they said: “We bear witness that you are a messenger of God (nash’hadu innaka larasuulu allahu).” While God knows that you are surely His messenger (wal-lahu ya’lamu innaka la’rasuuluhu), and God bears witness that the hypocrites are liars.
[63:5] And when it has been said to them (hypocrites): “You shall come, messenger of God will ask forgiveness for you (ta`aalaw yas’taghfir lakum rasuulu allahi),” They had turned their heads aside, and you (prophet) have seen them to turn away, while they are arrogant.
[63:7] They (hypocrites) are those who say: “You do not spend on whomever is with a messenger of God until they break up (laa-tunfiquu `alaa man `inda rasuuli allahi hattaa yanfadduu).” And to God belongs treasures of the heavens and the earth, but the hypocrites do not comprehend.
[63:8] They (hypocrites) say: “Surely, if we had returned to the Medina; surely, the mightier would evict the weaker from it.” While to God belongs the honor and to His messenger and to the believers (wa-lillahi al-`izzati wa-li’rasuulihi wa-lil’mumineena) but the hypocrites do not know.
[64:6] That is of that had been to come to them their messengers with the clear proofs (dhalika bi-annahu kaanat tateehim rusuluhum bil-bayynaati) while they said: “Does a human being guide us?” So they had disbelieved and turned away. And God has been in no need, and God is Self-sufficient, Praiseworthy.
[64:8] So, you shall believe in God and His messenger, and the light which we have sent down (fa-aaminuu bil-lahi wa-rasuulihi wal-nuuri alladhee anzalnaa), and God is Cognizant of what you do.
[64:12] And you shall obey God and shall obey the messenger (wa-atee`uu allaha wa-atee`uu al-rasuula), but if you have turned away, then upon our messenger is only the conveyance of the clear message (fa-in tawallaytum fa-innamaa `alaa rasuulinaa al-balaaghu al-mubeenu).
[65:8] And how many of a town had rebelled against a command of its Lord and His messengers (wa-ka’ayyin min qar’yatin `atat `an amri rabbihaa wa-rusulihi); so, we took it into account of a severe accounting and punished it a terrible punishment.
[65:11] A messenger (Quran) recites God’s revelations to you are clear (rasuulan yatluu `alaykum aayaati allahi mubayyinaatin) that it may bring those who have believed and have done the righteous deeds out of the darkness into the light. And whoever believes in God and does as righteous, He will admit him into gardens flowing the rivers of their underneath as dwellers therein forever. Certainly, God has provided good provision for him.
[69:10] As they had disobeyed a messenger of their Lord (fa`asaw rasuula rabbihim), so, He seized them with a devastating seizure.
[69:40] Indeed, it is surely a word of an honorable messenger (innahu laqawlu rasuulin kareemin).
[72:23] “Except a proclamation from God and His messages, and whoever disobeys God and His messenger (wa-man ya`si allaha wa-rasuulahu), then indeed, for him is a Fire of Hell as dwellers in it forever.”
[72:27] Except whomever He has permitted of a messenger (illaa mani ir’tadaa min rasuulin), then indeed, He reveals a specific news from his past and from his future.
[73:15] Indeed, we have sent a messenger to you as witness over you, as we had sent a messenger to Pharaoh (innaa arsalnaa ilaykum rasuulan shahidan `alaykum kamaa arsalnaa ilaa fir`awna rasuulan).
[73:16] But Pharaoh had disobeyed the messenger, so we seized him with a disastrous seizure (fa-`asaa fir`awnu al-rasuula fa-akhadhnaahu akhdhan wabeelan).
[77:11] And when has been gathered the messengers at appointed time (wa-idhaa al-rusulu uqqitat).
[81:19] Indeed, it is surely a word of an honorable messenger (innahu laqawlu rasuulin kareemin).
[91:13] But God’s messenger said to them: “It is God’s camel and her drink.” (fa-qaala lahum rasuulu allahi naqaata allahi wa-suq’yaahaa).
[98:2] A messenger of God recites purified pages (of a book) (rasuulun mina allahi yatluu suhufan mu’tah’haratan).
- It is God’s limits to fast for two consecutive months or feeding of sixty poor whoever cannot fast before touching each other when no slave is found to free at the event of estranging their wives as mothers.
- God has sent down His clear revelations to every nation, and those who oppose God and His messenger have been disgraced while for them a humiliating punishment in the Hereafter.
- God has forbidden secret counseling of sin, aggression and disobedience of the messenger but they have done that and said why God does not punish them for what they have said.
- Those who have believed hold secret counseling for the uprightness and the righteousness fearing God that they will be returned to Him.
- Those who have believed shall offer charity before consulting the messenger, which is purer for them but those who have not found anything to offer God is forgiving and merciful upon them.
- God has turned to those who cannot offer charities before consulting the messenger and has commanded them to establish Salah and to give Zakah, and to obey Him and His messenger.
- Those who oppose God and His messenger will be with the humiliated ones, while God has decreed that He and His messengers will be the winners.
- Those who believe in God and in the Last Day will not befriend whoever has opposed God and His messenger, even they are their fathers, sons, brothers , and relatives. God has established the faith in their hearts and has supported them with inspiration from Him while He will allow them to admit Gardens flowing the rivers of their underneath as dwellers therein forever. They are a party of God and they are the successful ones.
- God evicted the people of the scripture from their homes who had disbelieved and had opposed God and His messenger, and God is severe in the retribution.
- Whatever spoils of war God had restored to His messenger as He empowered His messengers over whomever He wills and He has power over everything.
- Whatever spoils of war God had restored to His messenger belongs to God and His messenger, and for the relatives, the orphans, the needy and the wayfarer. Whatever the messenger gave them should take it and whatever he forbade them should refrain from it, while they shall fear God as He is severe in the retribution.
- And for the poor of the emigrants who have been driven out from their homes and properties and seek bounty from God and pleasure, and support God and His messenger.
- The believers should not take enemy of God and their enemy as allies offering love to those who have disbelieved in the truth had come with the messenger to drive him out and themselves. They should believe in God for striving in His path and His pleasure while God knows what they have declared and what they have concealed.
- Those who hurt Moses knowing that he has been a messenger of God had deviated and God caused to deviate their hearts as He does not guide the disobedient people.
- Jesus, son of Mary brought a good news of a messenger named Ahmad (Muhammad) after him to the Children of Israel but when he had come to them with the clear proofs, they said: “This is a clear magic.”
- God has sent His messenger with the guidance and a religion of the truth that He would make it prevail over the religion of any of it.
- It is better for the people to believe in God and His messenger and to strive in God’s path with their wealth and their lives.
- God has raised a messenger (prophet) in the gentiles from them to recite His revelations to them to purify and teach them the scripture and the wisdom as they have been in astray.
- When the hypocrites had come to the prophet said to him that he is a messenger of God while God bears witness that the hypocrites are liars as what is in their mouths is not in their hearts.
- When the hypocrites were invited to come to a messenger of God that he will ask God for their forgiveness, they turned their heads aside and turned away being arrogant.
- The hypocrites said not to spend on whoever is with a messenger of God until they break up while they.do not comprehend that to God belongs the treasures of the heavens and the earth.
- The hypocrites said, if they had returned al-Medina that the stronger would evict the weaker while God said the honor to Him and to His messenger and to the believers, what they do not know.
- When had come to them their messengers with the clear proofs said: “Does a human being guide us?” and had disbelieved and had turned away, while God has been in no need as He is Self-sufficient, Praiseworthy.
- God has commanded all of us to believe in Him and His messenger, and the light He has sent down while He is Cognizant of what we do.
- God has commanded all of us to obey Him and to obey the messenger but those who have turned away, then upon the messenger is only the conveyance of the clear message.
- When the people of any town had rebelled against its Lord’s command and His messengers, then He took it into a severe account and punished it a terrible punishment.
- A messenger (message) recites God’s revelations to people, which are clear that it may bring those who have believed and have done the righteous deeds out of the darkness into the light, and God admits them to Gardens flowing the rivers of their underneath as dwellers therein forever with a good provision.
- Ad, Thamud and people of Pharaoh had disobeyed a messenger from their Lord, so He seized them with a devastating seizure.
- The disbelievers who will receive their records in the left hands will be burnt in Hell is a statement of an honorable messenger, a revelation from Lord of the worlds.
- A proclamation of God and His messages that whoever disobeys God and His messenger will be in Hell as a dweller therein forever.
- God does not unveil any news from the past and of the future except through His messenger.
- God has sent a messenger to us as witness over us as He had sent a messenger to Pharaoh.
- Pharaoh had disobeyed the messenger, so God seized him with a disastrous seizure.
- There is an appointed time when has been gathered the messengers.
- By taking oath God has confirmed a statement of an honorable messenger (a messenger of covenant) that he has seen him in the high horizon.
- A messenger of God (Saleh) said to Thamud that it is God’s camel and her drink.
- A messenger of God recites a purified pages.
Instances may be reviewed reflecting that a message being a messenger recites God’s revelations while God does not reveal any news from the past and of the future except through His messenger. Even, Jesus, son of Mary brought a good news to the Children of Israel of a messenger named Ahmad after him but when he had come to them with the clear proofs, they denied him. Thus, people should believe in God and His messenger to strive in His path with their wealth and lives, not even befriending their nearest whoever opposes God and His messenger, and shall obey God and the messenger, while upon the messenger is only the conveyance of the clear message. He has raised a messenger in the gentiles to teach them the scripture to purify them when had been far astray.
Peaceful Friday, salaam and God bless.