Out of 331 instances of rasūl in the Quran, 240 instances in 209 verses across 34 surahs along with 10 instances of risālat in 10 verses are reviewed, while reviewing of the instances of rasūl is continuing to help us to make a clear distinction between the closely related terms: risaalat, rasuul and mur’sal as well as to make a distinction between the terms, rasuul and nabiy. However, 46 instances of rasuul in 44 verses across 12 surahs are reviewed below:
Instances of rasūl
[40:5] Had denied before them Noah’s people and the parties after themselves, and has plotted every nation against their messenger (wa-hammat kullu ummatin bi-rasuulihim) that they can seize him, and they had disputed with the falsehood that they can disapprove the truth with it. So, I had seized them. Then how had My punishment!
[40:22] That was of that there had come to them their messengers with the clear proofs (dhaalika biannahum kaanat tateehim rusuluhum bil-bayyinaati), when they disbelieved. So, God had seized them. Indeed, He is strong in the severe punishment.
[40:34] And certainly, had come to you Joseph before with the clear proofs, then you could not have ceased in doubt about what he had brought to you with him, until when he had died, you said: “God will not raise a messenger after himself (lan yab`atha allahu min ba`dihi rasuulan).” Thus that God lets go astray whoever is a doubtful transgressor.
[40:50] They (guardians of Hell) said: “Did there not come to you your messengers with the clear proofs (a-wa-lam taku tateekum rusulukum bil-bayyinaati)?” They (those are in Hell) said : “Yes.” They said: “Then call, while a call of the disbelievers is not except in vain.”
[40:51] Indeed, we surely support our messengers and those who have believed in the life of the world (innaa la’nansuru rusulanaa wa-alladheena aamanuu fee al-hayati al-dun’yaa), and a day there will stand the witnesses.
[40:70] Those who had denied in the scripture, and in what we had sent our messengers with it (alladheena kadhabuu bil-kitaabi wa-bimaa arsalnaa bihi rusulanaa) that they will know soon.
[40:78] And certainly, we have sent messengers before yourself (prophet) (wa-laqad arsalnaa rusulan min qablika). Of them there are whoever we have narrated through you (prophet) and of them there are whoever we do not narrate through you (prophet). And it has not been for any messenger that he comes with a sign except by God’s leave (wa-maa kaana li’rasuulin an yatiya bi-aayatin illaa bi-idh’ni allahi). So, when has come God’s command, it has been decided with the truth, and there has lost the falsifiers.
[40:83] Then, when had come to them their messengers with the clear proofs (fa-lamma jaa-at’hum rusuluhum bil-bayyinaati), they rejoiced in what is with themselves of the knowledge, while surrounded them with what they had done to mock with it.
[41:14] When had come to them the messengers before themselves and after themselves (idh jaa’at’humu al-rusulu min bayni aydeehim wa-min khalfihim) that you do not worship except God. They said: “If our Lord had willed, surely, He would have sent down angels. So indeed, we are disbelievers of what you have been sent with it.”
[41:43] It is not said to you (prophet) except what has certainly been said to the messengers before yourself (prophet) (maa yuqaalu laka illaa maa qad qeela lil-rusuli min qablika). Indeed, your (prophet) Lord is surely Possessor of forgiveness as well as Possessor of a painful retribution.
[42:51] And it has not been for a human that God would speak to him except inspiration, or from behind a barrier, or He sends a messenger (message bearing angel) that he reveals by His permission what He wills (aw yur’sila rasuulan fa-yuuhiya bi-idh’nihi maa yashaa-u). Indeed, He is Most High, Most Wise.
[43:29] Yes, I have given enjoyment these (people of Muhammad) and their forefathers, until had come to them the truth and a clarifying messenger (prophet) (hattaa jaa’at’humu al-haqqu wa-rasuulun mubeenun).
[43:45] And you (prophet) shall ask whomever we have sent our messengers before yourself (prophet) (wa-sal man arsalnaa min qablika min rusulinaa). Have we made gods other than the Gracious to be worshipped?
[43:46] And certainly, we had sent Moses with our signs to Pharaoh and his leaders, while he said: “Indeed me, a messenger of Lord of the worlds (fa-qaala inni-i rasuulu rabbi al-`aalameena).”
[43:80] Or they may think that we do not hear their secret and their conspiracy. Yes; and our messengers (angels) with them are recording (balaa wa-rusulunaa laday’him yaktubuuna).
[44:13] How can be the reminder (Quran’s mathematical coding) for them when certainly, had come to them a clarifying messenger (a messenger of covenant) (annaa lahumu al-dhik’raa wa-qad jaa-ahum rasuulan mubeenun)?
[44:17] And certainly, we had tested a people of Pharaoh before themselves, while had come to them an honorable messenger (wa-jaa-ahum rasuulan kareemun).
[44:18] That you shall deliver God’s servants to me; indeed me, a trustworthy messenger to you (inni-i lakum rasuulun ameenun).
[46:9] Say: “I (prophet) have not been an exception from the messengers (maa kuntu bid’`an mina al-rusuli), and I do not know what will be done with me nor with you. I do not follow except what is revealed to me and I am not but a clarifying warner.”
[46:35] So, you (prophet) shall be patient like had been patient of the messengers, possessors of the determination (fa-is’bir kamaa sabara uluu al-`azmi mina al-rusuli), and you (prophet) do not seek to hasten for them. As if that for them, a day they will see what they are promised – not to remain except for an hour of a day. There is a proclamation that is there anyone destroyed except the people who were the disobedient?
[47:32] Indeed, those who have disbelieved and have turned away from God’s path, and have opposed the messenger after what has become clear to them of the guidance (wa-shaaqquu al-rasuula min ba`di maa tabayyana lahumu al-hudaa), they cannot harm God in anything, while He will make worthless their deeds.
[47:33] O you who have believed, you shall obey God and shall obey the messenger, and you do not nullify your deeds (atee`uu allaha wa-atee`uu al-rasuula wa-laa-tub’tiluu a`maalakum).
[48:9] That you (people) should believe in God and His messenger (litu’minuu bil-lahi wa-rasuulihi) as well as you (people) can honor Him, and respect Him, and glorify Him morning and evening.
[48:12] Yes, you thought that the messenger (prophet) and the believers would not return to their families ever (bal zanantum an lan yanqaliba al-rasuulu wal-mu’minuuna ilaa ahleehim abadan), and it has been made fair-seeming that in your hearts; and you thought an evil thought, and you have become a ruined people.
[48:13] And whoever does not believe in God and His messenger (wa-man lam yu’min bil-lahi wa-rasuulihi), then indeed, we have prepared a Blazing fire for the disbelievers.
[48:17] It has not been any blame on the blind, nor has it been any blame on the cripple, nor has it been any blame on the sick. And whoever obeys God and His messenger, He will admit him into gardens flowing the rivers of their underneath (wa-man yuti`i allaha wa-rasuulahu yud’khil’hu jannaatin tajree min tahtihaa al-anhaaru); and whoever turns away, He will punish him with a painful retribution.
[48:26] When has placed disdain in their hearts of those who had disbelieved – a disdain of the time of the ignorance, then God has sent down tranquility upon His messenger (prophet) and upon the believers (fa-anzala allahu sakeenatahu `alaa rasuulihi wa-`alaa al-mu’mineena), and has made them adhere to a word of the righteousness, and they have been worthiness of it and its worthiness. And God has done being Knower of everything.
[48:27] Certainly, God has fulfilled the vision of His messenger (prophet) with the truth (laqad sadaqa allahu rasuulahi al-ru’yaa bil-haqqi): “Surely, you will enter the Sacred Masjid if God has willed being secure, having shaved of your heads and shortened, not to fear.” Thus, He has known what you do not know; thus, He has made a near victory other than that.
[48:28] He is the One who has sent down His messenger with the guidance and a religion of the truth (huwa alladhee arsala rasuulahu bil-hudaa wa-deeni al-haqqi) that He would make it prevail over the religion of any of it. And has sufficed with God as a Witness.
[48:29] Muhammad, a messenger of God and those who are with himself are harsh against the disbelievers while are merciful between themselves (Muhammadun rasuulu allahi wa-alladheena ma`ahu ashiddaa-u `alaa al-kufaari ruhamaa-u baynahum). You see them as bowers and prostrators seeking blessing from God and pleasure. Their mark is on their faces from a trace of the prostration. That is their analogy in the Torah, while their analogy in the Injeel is like a seed has produced its shoot, then it has strengthened it, then it has become thick, while it has stood on its stem to please the sowers that He may enrage the disbelievers by them. God has promised those who have believed and have done the righteous deeds of them forgiveness and a great reward.
[49:1] O you who have believed, you do not place (your opinion) before God and His messenger (laa-tuqaddimuu bayna yadayi allahu wa-rasuulahu), and shall fear God. Indeed, God is Hearer, Knower.
[49:3] Indeed, those who lower their voices with God’s messenger (inna alladheena yaghudduuna aswaatahum `inda rasuuli allahi), those are the ones God has tested their hearts for the righteousness. For them, there is forgiveness and a great reward.
[49:7] And you shall know that God’s messenger is among you (wa-i`lamuu anna feekum rasuula); if he had to obey you in many of the matter, surely, you would have been in difficulty but God has endeared the faith to you and has made it pleasing in your hearts, while He has made hateful to you disbelief, and defiance, and disobedience. Those – they are the guided ones.
[49:14] The Arabs said: “We have believed.” Say: “You do not believe,” but say: ‘We have submitted,” while has not yet entered the faith into your hearts. And if you obey God and His messenger (wa-in tutee`uu allaha wa-rasuulahu), He will not deprive you anything of your deeds. Indeed, God is Forgiving, Merciful.
[49:15] The believers are only those who have believed in God and His messenger (innamaa al-mu’minuuna alladheena aamanuu bil-lahi wa-rasuulihi), then they do not doubt and have strived in God’s path with their wealth and their lives. Those – they are the truthful ones.
[50:14] And dwellers of the wood and people of Tubba – everyone had denied the messengers (wa-as’haabu al-aykati wa-qawmu tuba`in kullun kadhaba al-rusula), so has fulfilled My threat.
[51:52] Thus that had not come to those any messenger before themselves (kadhaalika maa ataa alladheena min qablihim rasuulin), except they said: “A magician, or a madman.”
[57:7] You shall believe in God and His messenger (aaminuu bil-lahi wa-rasuulihi), and shall spend from what He has made you trustees in it. So, those who have believed from you and have spent, for them there is a great reward.
[57:8] What is for you that you do not believe in God while the messenger invites you that you should believe in your Lord (wal-rasuulu yad`uukum litu`minuu bi-rabbikum), and certainly, He has taken your pledge if you have been believers?
[57:19] And those who have believed in God and His messengers (wa-alladheena aamanuu bil-lahi wa-rusulihi), those – they are the truthful and the martyrs; with their Lord, for them there is their reward and their light. And those who have disbelieved and have denied in our revelations, those are dwellers of the Hellfire.
[57:21] You shall race towards forgiveness from your Lord, and Gardens of their width like a width of the heaven and the earth, has been prepared for those who have believed in God and His messengers (u`iddat lilladheena aamanuu bil-lahi wa-rusulihi). That is God’s bounty, He grants to whomever He wills, and God is Possessor of the great bounty.
[57:25] Certainly, we have sent our messengers with the clear proofs (laqad arsalnaa rusulanaa bil-bayyinaati) and we have revealed with them the scripture and the balance that it can establish the people with the justice. And we have sent down the iron, wherein there is substantial strength and benefits for the people and that God may make evident whoever supports Him and His messengers in the unseen (wa-liya`lama allahu man yansuruhu wa-rusulahu bil-ghaybi). Indeed, God is Powerful, Mighty.
[57:27] Then, we have followed with our messengers on their footsteps (thumma qaffaynaa `alaa aathaarihim bi-rusulinaa), and we have followed with Jesus, son of Mary and we have given him the Gospel. And we have placed compassion and mercy in hearts of those who had followed him. While they have invented monasticism except to seek God’s pleasure, we have not prescribed it for them, while they have not observed it right of its observance. So, we have given those who have believed of them their reward while most of them are disobedient.
[57:28] O you who have believed, you shall fear God and shall believe in His messenger (yaa’ayyuhaa alladheena aamanuu ittaquu allaha wa-aamanuu bi-rasuulihi); He will give you double (reward) from His mercy and will make for you a light, you will walk with it; and He will forgive you. Indeed, God is Forgiving, Merciful.
- Noah’s people had denied and the people after him before the people of Muhammad. Thus, every nation has plotted against their messenger and has seized him to defeat the truth with the falsehood but God had seized them with a terrible punishment.
- It has been a warning for the people of Muhammad who had disbelieved in the Quran that God seized those who disbelieved in their messengers who had come to them with the clear proofs as He is strong in the severe punishment.
- Joseph had come to his people and they have been doubtful in what he brought with him, and when he died, they said God will not send any more messenger. Thus, God lets go astray a doubtful transgressor.
- When the guardians of Hell ask those who are in Hell to call their Lord and if they would call their Lord, but their call does not reach Him, even God is Forgiving and Merciful.
- God supports His messengers and those who have believed with them in the life of the world while a day there will be witnesses for them.
- Those who had denied in the scripture and in what God has sent His messengers with it will know soon their consequences.
- God has sent many messengers but all of them have not been mentioned in the Quran while no messenger comes to them with a clear sign except His permission, and it would have been decided with the truth and the falsifiers will be losers.
- Messengers had come to them but they have rejoiced in what is with their knowledge and surrounded them with what they mocked with it.
- Messengers had come before and after Ad and Thamud who advised their people not to worship except God while they are disbelievers, and if God had willed, He would have sent angels.
- God has informed the prophet that He is possessor of both forgiveness and punishment, which has also been said to the messengers before himself.
- God has established three methods to communicate with humans: (1) inspiration, (2) talking to behind a barrier, and (3) sending angel messengers to reveal what He wills.
- God has given opportunity to enjoy for the people and their forefathers until had come to them the prophet with the truth as a clarify messenger.
- Prophet has been told to inquire with whoever has the messengers sent before himself that He has not made any gods other than the Gracious.
- God sent Moses to Pharaoh and his leaders with His signs, while he told them that he is a messenger from Lord of the worlds.
- Those who had plotted against the prophet thought that God does not hear their secret and conspiracy while His messengers with them are recording.
- A clarifying messenger, a messenger of covenant had come to the people of this generation with the reminder of Quran’s mathematical coding before the sky brings a profound smoke covering the people, which is a disaster of world-wide outbreak of COVID – 19 that we are experiencing.
- God tested the people of Pharaoh before, and had come to them an honorable messenger, who asked him to deliver his people to him.
- Prophet said to the people that he has not been an exception from the other messengers and he does not have any knowledge of his future and the future of those who had believed with him, but he has followed what is revealed to him just being a clarifying messenger.
- Prophet has been asked to be patient like the messengers being possessors of determination before himself and not to seek hasten for the people, while a day they will see what is promised to them an hour of a day in this world, and there was no destruction except for the disobedient.
- Those who disbelieved and turned away from God’s path, and opposed the messenger after has been made clear to them the guidance cannot harm God but He will make worthless their deeds.
- Those who have believed shall obey God and shall obey the messenger not to nullify their deeds.
- People should believe in God and His messenger, while they can honor Him, respect Him, and glorify Him morning and evening.
- There has been an evil thought in the hearts of the ruined people that the messenger and the believers would not able to return to their families from the war.
- God has prepared a painful retribution for whoever does not believe in Him and His messenger.
- There was no blame on the blind, the cripple and the sick not to participate in the war while whoever obeys God and His messenger will be allowed to admit him into gardens flowing the rivers of their underneath but whoever turns away will be punished with a painful retribution.
- God has placed disdain in the hearts of the disbelievers while He has sent down tranquility upon His messenger and the believers and has made them adhere to a word of the righteousness as they were worthy of it.
- God has fulfilled the vision of His messenger with the truth to enter the Sacred Masjid being secure having their heads shaven and shortened without any fear giving the near victory.
- God is the One who has sent His messenger with the guidance and a religion of the truth that He would make it prevail over any other religions.
- Muhammad, a messenger of God and those who are with him are harsh against the disbelievers but are merciful between themselves while there are signs on the faces of the believers from a trace of prostration being bowers and prostrators, and there is an analogy of such sign for them both in the Torah and the Injeel.
- The believers should not place their views ahead of God and His messenger while those who lower their voices with a messenger of God, He has tested their hearts for the righteousness.
- God in the presence of His messenger among the believers has endeared the faith to them and has made it pleasing in their hearts while has made hateful disbelief, defiance and disobedience to them making them the guided ones.
- God has advised the Arabs to say them submitters until their faith is established in their hearts while He will not deprive them anything of their deeds if they obey God and His messenger.
- The believers are only those who have believed in God and His messenger without having any doubt while they strive in the cause of God with their wealth and their lives.
- The dwellers of the wood and the people of Tubba had denied the messengers while God’s threat has fulfilled to them.
- No messenger had come to the people except that the disbelievers said, “A magician, or a madman.”
- God has commanded us to believe in Him and His messenger, and to spend from what He has made us trustees in it, and those who have done it, there is a great reward for them.
- When the messenger invites us to believe in God, then we should believe in our Lord, while He has taken our pledge to believe in Him.
- Those who have believed in God and His messengers are the truthful and the martyrs, there is their reward and their light with their Lord while those who have disbelieved and have denied in His revelations are the dwellers of the Hellfire.
- God has commanded us to race towards forgiveness from our Lord, and spacious Gardens like a width of the heaven and the earth, which has been prepared for those who have believed in God and His messengers being God Possessor of the great bounty.
- God has sent His messengers with the clear proofs and has sent down with them the scripture and the balance that it can establish the people with the justice, and that He may make evident whoever supports Him and His messengers in the unseen.
- God has followed with His messengers on their footsteps and has followed with Jesus, son of Mary and had given him the Injeel and had placed kindness and mercy in the hearts of his followers. But they had invented monasticism except to seek the pleasure of God, which He had not prescribed for them. Thus, He has given them their reward who have believed but most of them are disobedient.
- God has commanded those who have believed to fear Him and to believe in His messenger that He will give them double (reward) from His mercy and will make for them a light to walk with it.
Review gives us a clear picture to understand that all generations of people had difficulty to believe in their messengers and had mocked their messengers as well, and it is unfortunate for us that we do not see any exception for the people of the generation we are living now when a messenger of covenant had come to us with the reminder of Quran’s mathematical coding supported by a great sign of number 19 upon fulfillment of God’s covenant, even experiencing the consequence of a disaster of world-wide outbreak of COVID 19 for disbelieving the messenger and the message sent with him. While the believers are those who have believed in God and His messenger without any doubt and have strived in the cause of God with their wealth and their lives, and they fear God and believe in His messenger to receive reward from His mercy and to have light for them to walk with it.
Peaceful Friday, salaam and God bless.