Out of 331 instances of rasūl in the Quran, 33 instances in 26 verses across 2 surahs along with 10 instances of risālat in 10 verses are reviewed, while reviewing of the instances of rasūl is continuing to help us to make a clear distinction between the closely related terms: risaalat, rasuul and mur’sal as well as to make a distinction between the terms, rasuul and nabiy. However, 49 instances of rasuul in 37 verses across 2 surahs are reviewed below:
Instances of rasūl
[4:13] That is of God’s limits, and whoever obeys God and His messenger (wa-man yuti`i allahu wa-rasuulahu), He will admit him to Gardens flowing the rivers of their underneath, are dwellers in them, and that is the greatest victory.
[4:14] And whoever disobeys God and His messenger (wa-man ya`si allaha wa-rasuulahu), and exceeds His limits, He will admit him to Fire, is a dwellers in it, and for him there is a humiliating punishment.
[4:42] That day, will wish those who have disbelieved and have disobeyed the messenger (yawaddu alladheena kafaruu wa-`asawuu al-rasuula), if the earth were leveled with them; while they will not be able to hide any statement from God.
[4:59] O you who have believed, you shall obey God and shall obey the messenger and possessors of the authority from you (atee`uu allaha wa-atee`uu al-rasuula wa-ulee al-amri minkum). When if you have disputed in anything, then you shall refer it to God and the messenger (fa-rudduuhu ilaa allahi wa-al-rasuuli), if you have committed to believe in God and the Last Day. That is good, and even better for resolution.
[4:61] And when it has been said to them: “Come to what God has revealed and to the messenger (ta`aalaw ilaa maa anzala allahu wa-ilaa al-rasuuli),” you (Muhammad) have seen the hypocrites turn away from you in aversion.
[4:64] And we have not sent any messenger except that he would be obeyed by God’s permission (wa-maa arsalnaa min rasuulin illaa li-yutaa`a bi-idhni allahi). And if that they have come to you (Muhammad) when they have wronged themselves, then they have asked God’s forgiveness, and the messenger has asked forgiveness for them (wa-is’taghfara lahumu al-rasuulu); surely, they would have found God Redeemer, Merciful.
[4:69] And whoever obeys God and the messenger (wa-man yuti`i allaha wal-rasuula) is of those with whom God has bestowed favor upon them of the prophets, and the truthful, and the martyrs, and the righteous; and has been excellent those as companion.
[4:79] Whatever of good has befallen you (Muhammad) is from God and whatever of evil has befallen you is from yourself. And we have sent you (Muhammad) a messenger for the people (wa-arsalnaaka lilnnaasi rasuulan); and it has sufficed with God as a Witness.
[4:80] Whoever obeys the messenger (man yuti`i al-rasuuli), then certainly, he has obeyed God, and whoever has turned away, then we have not sent you (Muhammad) a guardian over them.
[4:83] And when any matter of security or fear comes to them they spread with it, and if they had referred it to the messenger and to those entrusted among them (ilaa al-rasuulu wa-ilaa uli`i al-amri minhum), it would surely have been known to those among them to draw a correct resolution of it. And if it had not been God’s grace upon you and His mercy, you would have followed the Satan except for a few.
[4:100] And whoever emigrates in a way of God will find many places of refuge and abundance of bounties in the earth, and whoever leaves of his home as an emigrant to God and His messenger (wa-man yakhruj min baytihi muhaajiran ilaa allahi wa-rasuulihi), then the death overtakes him, then certainly, has fallen his reward upon God, while God has been Forgiving, Merciful.
[4:115] And whoever opposes the messenger after what has become clear to him of the guidance (wa-man yushaaqiqi al-rasuula min ba`di maa tabayyana lahu al-hudaa), and follows other than the believers’ way, we will turn him to what he has turned, and we will burn him in Hell, and it has been an evil destination.
[4:136] O you who have believed; you shall believe in God and His messenger (aaminuu billahi wa-rasuulihi), and the scripture what He has revealed through His messenger (wal-kitaabi alladhee nazzala alaa rasuulihi) and the scripture what He has revealed before. And whoever disbelieves in God, and His angels, and His scriptures, and His messengers, and the Last Day (wa-man yakfur bil-lahi wa-malaaikatihi wa-kutubihi wa-rusuulihi wal-yawmi al-aakhiri); then certainly, he has strayed a far astray.
[4:150] Indeed, those who disbelieve in God and His messengers (inna alladheena yakfuruuna bil-lahi wa-rusulihi), and they wish that they would make a distinction between God and His messengers, and they say: “We believe in some while disbelieve in some”, and they wish that they take a path between that.
[4:152] And those who have believed in God and His messengers (wa-alladheena aamanuu bil-lahi wa-rusulihi) and they do not make a distinction between any of them; those – He will give them their reward, and God has been Forgiving, Merciful.
[4:157] And their saying: “Indeed, we have killed the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, a messenger of God (innaa qatalnaa al-maseeha `iisaa ib’na maryama rasuula allahi).” And they have not killed him, nor have they crucified him but it has been made so for them. And indeed, those who have differed in it are surely in doubt about it. There is no knowledge of it for them except following the conjecture, while certainty is they have not killed him.
[4:164] And messengers certainly, we have narrated them through you (prophet) before (wa-rusulan qad qasasnaahum `alayka min qablu), and messengers we do not narrate them through you (prophet) (wa-rusulan lam naqsushum `alayka); and God had spoken to Moses a direct conversation.
[4:165] Messengers are bearers of good news and bearers of warnings (rusulan mubashureena wa-mundhireena) that there would not be any argument for the people with God after the messengers (li’ allaa yakuuna lilnnaasi `alaa allahi hujjatun ba`da al-rusuli), and God has been Almighty, Wise.
[4:170] O the people, certainly has come to you the messenger with the truth from your Lord (qad jaa’akumu al-rasuulu bil-haqqi min rabbikum) that you shall believe, is better for you. And if you disbelieve, then to God belongs what is in the heavens and the earth. And God has been Knower, Wise.
[4:171] O people of the scripture, you do not exceed in your religion nor do you say about God except the truth. The Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary only was a messenger of God (innamaa al-maseehu `iisaa ub’nu maryama rasuulu allahi), and His word He had sent it to Mary and a spirit from Him. So, you shall believe in God and His messengers (fa-aaminuu billahi wa-rusulihi). You shall not say, “Trinity.” You shall refrain, is better for you. God is only One god; glory is His that there would be a son for Him. To Him belongs what is in the heavens and what is in the earth. And God has sufficed as a Disposer of affairs.
[5:12] And certainly, God has taken a covenant of the Children of Israel and we have raised from them twelve leaders, and God said: “Indeed, I am with you surely if you have established the Contact Prayer and have given the Obligatory Charity, and have believed in My messengers and have supported them (wa-aamantum bi-rusuli-i wa-`azzartumuuhum), and have given God a good loan; then I will surely remove your evil deeds from you and I will surely admit you into gardens with rivers flowing beneath them.” But whoever disbelieved after that among you, then certainly, he strayed from the right path.
[5:15] O people of the scripture, certainly, has come to you our messenger to clarify for you (qad jaa-akum rasuulunaa yubayyinu lakum) much of what you have done to conceal from the scripture, and to overlook of many. Certainly, has come to you from God a light and a clear scripture.
[5:19] O people of the scripture, certainly, has come to you our messenger to clarify for you (qad jaa-akum rasuulunaa yubayyinu lakum) upon an interval of the messengers lest you say (`alaa fatratin minal al-rusuli an taquuluu): “Has not come to us a bearer of good news nor a warner.” So, certainly, has come to you a bearer of good news and a warner, and God has power over everything.
[5:32] Since that time, we have decreed upon the Children of Israel that whoever has killed a person being not a killer or spreading corruption in the earth, then as if he has killed all the people. And whoever has saved it, then as if he has saved all the people. And certainly, has come to them our messengers with the clear proofs (wa-laqad jaa-ahum rusulinaa bil-bayyinati), then indeed, most of them after that, are transgressors in the earth.
[5:33] The only recompense for those who wage war against God and His messenger (innamaa jazaa-u alladheena yuhaaribuuna allaaha wa-rasuulahu) and strive in spreading corruption in the earth that they be killed, or be crucified, or be cut off their hands and their feet of alternate sides, or be banished from the land. That is for them disgrace in the world, and for them there is a great punishment in the Hereafter.
[5:41] O the messenger (yaa-ayyuhaa al-rasuulu), let not grieve you for those who hasten in the disbelief of those who said, “We have believed,” with their mouths, while who does not believe by their hearts from those who have turned Jews, are listeners of the falsehood – listeners of other people who do not come to you. They distort the word after its context saying, “If you have been given this, then you shall accept it, while if you are not given it, then you shall beware.” And for whomever God intends his test, then you do not possess power of anything for him against God. Those are the ones God does not intend that He purifies their hearts. For them there is disgrace in the world, while for them there is a great punishment in the Hereafter.
[5:55] Your only ally is God and His messenger (innamaa waliyyuknumu allahu wa-rasuuluhu), and those who have believed, and those who observe the Contact Prayer, and those who give the Obligatory Charity, and they are those who bow down.
[5:56] And whoever allies God and His messenger (wa-man yatawalla allaha wa-rasuulahu) and those who have believed, are a party of God – they are the victors.
[5:67] O the messenger, you shall convey what has been revealed to you from your Lord (yaa-ayyuhaa al-rasuulu balligh maa unzila ilayka min rabbika), and if you do not do then you have not conveyed His message, and God will protect you from the people. Indeed, God does not guide the people who are the disbelievers.
[5:70] Certainly, we have taken a covenant of the Children of Israel and we have sent messengers to them (wa-arsalnaa ilayhim rusulan). Every time a messenger has come to them with what they have not desired (kullamaa jaa-ahum rasuulun bimaa laa-tahwaa anfusuhum), a group they had denied and a group they kill.
[5:75] The Messiah son of Mary was not but a messenger; certainly, had passed the messengers before himself (Jesus) (maa al-maseehu ub’ni maryama illaa rasuulun qad khalat min qablihi al-rusulu), and his mother was a saint. They both had done to eat the food. You shall see how we have made clear the revelations for them, then you shall see how they are deviated.
[5:83] And when they have heard what has been revealed to the messenger (wa-idha sami`uu maa unzila ilaa al-rasuuli), you see their eyes overflowing with tears for what they have recognized of the truth, they say: “Our Lord, we have believed, so record us with the witnesses.”
[5:92] And you shall obey God and shall obey the messenger (wa-atee`uu allaha wa-atee`uu al-rasuula), and shall be aware. So if you have turned away, then you shall know upon our messenger is only the conveyance of the clear message (fa-i`lamuu annamaa alaa rasuulinaa al-balaaghu al-mubeenu).
[5:99] Not upon the messenger except the conveyance (maa alaa al-rasuuli illaa al-balaaghu), while God knows what you reveal and what you conceal.
[5:104] And when it has been said to them: “You shall come to what God has revealed and to the messenger (ta`aalaw ilaa maa anzala allahu wa-ilaa al-rasuuli);” they said: “Our sufficiency is what we have found our forefathers upon it.” Even if has it been that their forefathers do not know anything nor do they guide?
[5:109] A day God will gather the messengers (yawma yaj’ma`u allahu al-rusula), then He says: “What has been responded to you?” they said: “There is no knowledge for us; indeed, You are a Knower of the unseen.”
[5:111] And when I have inspired the disciples (of Jesus) that you shall believe in Me and in My messenger (wa-idh awhaytu ilaa al-hawaariyeena an aaminuu bi-i wa-bi-rasuuli-i), they said: “We have believed and have borne witness with that we are submitters.”
- Those who obey God and obey His messenger admit into Gardens flowing rivers of their underneath.
- Those who disobey God and His messenger admit into Fire, is a humiliating punishment for them.
- The believers should obey God and His messenger and possessors of authority to resolve any dispute referring to God and the messenger.
- When they are told to come to see what has been revealed to the messenger, the hypocrites turn away in aversion.
- God has sent messenger to be obeyed but those who have made mistake and has come to the messenger, then they would ask God’s forgiveness and the messenger also would ask God’s forgiveness.
- Those who obey God and obey the messenger are an excellent companion of the prophets, the truthful, the martyrs and the righteous.
- God has sufficed as a Witness that He has sent him (Muhammad) a messenger for the people.
- Whoever has obeyed the messenger has obeyed God but whoever has turned away while Muhammad was not a guardian over him.
- Any dispute spread by the Satan can only be resolved referring to the messenger and to those entrusted among them.
- Whoever has emigrated in a way of God, then he has died has fallen His reward upon him.
- Those who opposes the messenger after the clear guidance will burn in Hell for following other than the believers’ path.
- Whoever disbelieves in God, and His angels, and His scriptures, and His messengers, and the Last Day has strayed far astray.
- Those who disbelieve in God and His messengers and they wish to make a distinction between them, and they believe in some while they disbelieve in some.
- Those who believe in God and His messengers and do not make a distinction between them, God will give them their reward being merciful to them.
- The Jews claimed that they have killed Jesus but they have not killed him except a conjecture.
- God has sent messengers but He has informed us some of them while He has not informed us many of them through the Quran, and He spoke a direct conversation to Moses.
- Messengers are bearers of good news and bearers of warning. Thus, there should not have any argument among us after the messenger.
- The messenger has come with the truth from God for the people to believe but whoever disbelieves, then to God belongs what is in the heavens and the earth.
- God has commanded the people of the scripture not to exceed in their religion nor to say except the truth about God nor to say trinity while Jesus, son of Mary was a messenger of God.
- A covenant of God with the Children of Israel stating that He will be with them if they establish the Contact Prayer, and give the Obligatory Charity, and believe and support His messengers.
- Our messenger has certainly come to you with a light and an enlightening scripture to clarify for you what you have concealed and what you have overlooked.
- Our messenger has come to you to clarify for you after a long interval as bearer of good news and warner so that you cannot say that no bearers of good news have come to us.
- If anyone kills a person who has not killed another person or has not committed any horrendous crime, he has killed all the people but if anyone saves any life, he has saved all the people.
- Those who wage war against God and His messenger and strive in spreading corruption in the earth that they be killed, or be crucified, or be cut off their hands and their feet of alternate sides, or be banished from the land.
- Those who said “We believe” with their mouths but their hearts did not believe and from those who are the Jews, listeners to falsehood, listeners for other people who have not come to you.
- Every time a messenger came to them with what they have not desired, a group of them denied and a group of them killed.
- Those who hear what has been revealed to the messenger, their eyes flooded with tears for what the truth that they have recognized.
- The believers can kill or crucify those who fight God and His messenger being a gross sin.
- Messenger has no power over him who disbelieves expect to deliver the message given to him.
- The party of God are the victorious being allies and believers of God and His messengers.
- Messenger has fulfilled his duty if he delivers what has been revealed to him while God protects him from the disbelieving people and will be asked about responses of people on a day of gathering.
- The Messiah, son of Mary was a messenger of God like the messengers who had come before.
- When God inspired the disciples of Jesus to believe in Him and His messenger, they said, “We have believed and have borne witness that we are submitters.”
In conclusion, those who ally God and His messenger are the victors and will be allowed to enter Gardens flowing the rivers of their underneath being dwellers in them forever while those who oppose God and His messenger will be in Fire, a place of humiliating punishment being dwellers in it forever. Those who wage war against God and His messenger and strive in spreading corruption in the earth that they will be killed, or will be crucified, or will be cut off their hands and their feet of alternate sides, or will be banished from the land, which is the way God wants to punish His enemies in the world by the hands of the believers. If the messenger what has been revealed to him has not conveyed, then he has not fulfilled his duty while God will protect him from the disbelieving people. God has sent His messenger with the truth and the clear proof for the people so that they should not have any argument among them. The believers believe in God and His messenger, and establish the Contact Prayer, and give the Obligatory Charity, and loan God a good loan for their reward. Jesus, son of Mary was a messenger of God, and those who claimed that they had killed him or crucified him is a conjecture as they have been made to think that, and those who say “Trinity” is a blasphemy and should refrain from this.
Peaceful Friday, salaam and God bless.