There are 812 instances, which are closely related in the verb (537), verbal noun (45) and active participle (230) forms as shown in the table below: 45 instances of īmān meaning “faith/belief” in the verbal noun form have been reviewed to understand the message in different context while 230 instances in the active participle form are being reviewed gradually that we may clear understanding from the Quran that we can be the true believers in God and His revelations.
Note: The above table is populated with data obtained from the corpus.quran.com. However, there is an instance of mu’min in 9:128, which is not included in the above table as the verse does not belong to the Quran as the last two verses, 128 and 129 of sura 9 in the Quan were added as suggested by one of the scribes to honor the prophet when the Quran was copied from the original during the reign of Khalif Uthman.
Instances of mu’min
Out of 229 instances of mu’min meaning “believer(s)” found in 197 verses across 47 suras in the Quran while 49 instances found in 42 verses across 20 suras are described here:
[34:20] And certainly, Satan found true his suggestions upon them, as they followed him except for a group of the believers (fa-ittabi`uuhu illaa fareeqan mina al-mu’mineena).
[34:31] And those who disbelieved said: “We will not believe in this Quran, nor in that which was of its before.” And if you could see when the wicked will be made to stand before their Lord, some of them will throw back the word to others. Those who had been oppressed will say to those who had been arrogant: “If it were not you, certainly, we had been believers (lawlaa antum la’kunnaa mu’mineena)!”
[34:41] They said: “Glory be to You. You are our Protector other than them. No, they used to worship the Jinn; most of them were believers in them (bal kaanuu ya’buduuna al-jinna aktharuhum bihim mu’mineena).”
[37:29] They (leaders) will say: “Nay, you were not believers (bal lam takuunuu mu’mineena).”
[37:81] Indeed, he (Noah) was of our believing servants (innahu min ibaadeenaa al-mu’mineena).
[37:111] Indeed, he (Abraham) was of our believing servants (innahu min ibaadeenaa al-mu’mineena).
[37:122] Indeed, they both (Moses and Aaron) were of our believing servants (innahumaa min ibaadeenaa al-mu’mineena).
[37:132] Indeed, he (Elias) was of our believing servants (innahu min ibaadeenaa al-mu’mineena).
[40:28] And a believing man from Pharaoh’s people concealing his faith said (wa-qaala rajulun mu’minun min aali fir`awna yaktumu īmānahu): “Will you kill a man (Moses) that he says: ‘My Lord is God’, and indeed, he has come to you with the clear proofs from your Lord? And if he is a liar, then his lie will be upon him, and if he is truthful, some of which he threatens you will strike you. Indeed, God does not guide whoever he is a transgressor, a liar.”
[40:40] “Whoever has done evil, then he will not be recompensed except like of it, and whoever has done righteous of a male or a female while he is a believer (wa-man `amila saalihan min dhakarin aw unthaa wa-huwa mu’minun), then those will enter the Garden, they will be given provision in it without limit.”
[44:12] “Our Lord, remove from us the punishment; indeed, we are believers (innaa mu’minuuna).”
[45:3] Indeed, in the heavens and the earth, there are certainly signs for the believers (la’aayaatin lil’mu’minuuna).
[47:19] So you (Muhammad) shall know that there is no other god besides God; and you shall ask forgiveness for your sin and for the believing men and the believing women (wa-is’taghfir lidhanbika wa-lil’mu’mineena wal-mu’minaati) while God knows (all) your return and (all) your reward.
[48:4] He is the One who sent down the peace into hearts of the believers (huwa alladhee anzala al-sakeenata fee quluubi al-mu’mineen) that they may increase faith with their faith. And to God belongs soldiers of the heavens and the earth, and God is Knower, Wise.
[48:5] That He may admit the believing men and believing women into Gardens (li’yud’khila al-mu’mineena wal-mu’minaati jannaatin), the rivers flow of beneath them, are abiding forever therein, and He will remove their misdeeds from them, and has done that with God a great success.
[48:12] Yes, you thought that the messenger and the believers would not return to their families (bal zanantum an lan yanqaliba al-rasuulu wal-mu’minuuna ilaa ahleehim abadan), and that was deemed pleasant in your hearts; and you thought an evil thought and became a ruined people.
[48:18] Certainly, God has been pleased with the believers when they pledged allegiance to you (prophet) under the tree (laqad radiya allahu `ani al-mu’mineena idh yubaayi`unaka tahta al-shajarati), while He knew what was in their hearts, so He sent down tranquility upon them, and rewarded them with a near victory.
[48:20] God has promised you abundant spoils you can take it, so He has hastened this for you, and has withheld the people’s hands from you, and that it may be a sign for the believers (wa-li’takuuna aayatan lil’mu’mineena), and that He may guide you to a straight path.
[48:25] They are those who disbelieved and barred you from the Sacred Masjid, while the offering being prevented lest it reaches its destination. And if it were not, you did not know them of believing men and believing women that (wa-lawlaa rijaalun mu’minuuna wa-nisaaun mu’minaatun law ta’lamuhum an) you hurt them, that would befall a harm on you without knowledge. God will admit into His mercy whomever He wills. If you be apart, we will punish those among them who disbelieved with a painful punishment.
[48:26] When those who disbelieved put disdain in their hearts – the disdain of the time of the ignorance, then God sent down tranquility upon His messenger and the believers (fa-anzala allahu sakeenatahu `alaa rasuulihi wa-`alaa al-mu’mineena), and made them adhere to word of righteousness, and they have been well deserving of it and have been worthy of it. And God has done being knower of everything.
[49:9] And if two parties of the believers fought (wa-in taaifataani mina al-mu’mineena iq’tataluu), you shall make peace between them; while if one of them aggressed against the other, then you shall fight one which aggresses until it returns to God’s command. Then if it has returned, then you shall make peace between them with the justice and shall be unbiased; indeed, God loves the equitable ones.
[49:10] The believers are true brothers (innamaa al-mu’minuuna ikh’watun); so you shall make peace between your brothers and shall fear God, so that you have been given mercy.
[49:15] The believers are only those who have believed in God and His messenger (innamaa al-mu’minuuna alladheena aamanuu bil-lahi wa-rasuulihi), then they do not doubt and have striven with their wealth and their lives in God’s path. Those – they are the truthful ones.
[51:35] Then we brought out the one who had been therein of the believers (fa-akhrajnaa man kaana feehaa al-mu’mineena).
[51:55] And you (messenger) shall remind, then indeed, the reminder will benefit the believers (wa-dhakkir fa-inna al-dhikraa tanfa`u al-mu’mineena).
[57:8] And what is for you, you do not believe in God while the messenger calls you that you should believe in your Lord? And certainly, He has accepted your pledge, if you have been believers (in kuntum mu’mineena).
[57:12] A day you see the believing men and the believing women (yawma taraa al-mu’mineena wal-mu’minaati) will radiate their light at their ahead and on their right. Good news for yourselves is the day – gardens flowing the rivers of their underneath, are abiding therein forever. That which is the great success.
[58:10] The secret counsel of the Satan that he may cause grief to those who believed, while he has not been the harmful of them in anything without by God’s permission. And upon God is who put trust are the believers (wa-`alaa allahi fal-yatawakkali al-mu’minuuna).
[59:2] He is the One who expelled those who disbelieved from their homes from people of the scripture at first gathering. You never thought that they would leave, and they thought that they would protect them their fortresses from God. But God came to them from where they do not expect, and He threw terror into their hearts, they destroyed their homes with their own hands and the hands of the believers (yukh’ribuuna buyuutahum bi-aydeehim wa-aydee al-mu’mineena). So you shall learn a lesson, O those who have the vision.
[60:10] O you who have believed, when came to you the believing women as emigrants (idhaa jaa-akumu al-mu’minaatu muhaajiraatin), so you shall test them. God is Knower of their faith. When if you knew them to be believers, then you should do not return them to the disbelievers. They (women) are neither lawful for them (disbelievers), nor they (disbelievers) are lawful for them (women), and you shall give them (disbelievers) what they have spent. And there is no blame on you if you marry them (women) when you have given them their (bridal) reward. And you should not hold with marriages of the disbelieving women. And you shall ask what you have spent and they should ask what they have spent. That is God’s judgment. He judges between you, and God is Knower, Wise.
[60:11] If any of your wives has escaped you to the disbelievers, then you have forced that you shall give those who lost their wives like of what they had spent. And you shall fear God, whom in Him you are believers (wa-ittaquu allaha alladhee antum bihi mu’minuuna).
[60:12] O you the prophet, when the believing women came to you, who pledge to you about that (idhaa jaa-aka al-mu’minaatu yubaayi`ka `alaa an) they will not associate anything with God, nor will they steal, nor will they commit adultery, nor will they kill their children, nor will they come with a falsehood they invent between their hands and their feet, nor will they disobey you in any just matter, then you shall accept their pledge and shall ask forgiveness of God for them. Indeed, God is Forgiving, Merciful.
[61:13] And the other you love: a help from God and a near victory, and you shall give good news to the believers (wa-bashari al-mu’mineena).
[63:8] They say: “Surely, if we have returned to the city, surely, the powerful will evict the weaker from it.” While the honor belongs to God and His messenger and the believers (wa-lillahi al-`izzati wa-lirasuulihi wa-lilmu’mineena), but the hypocrites do not know.
[64:2] He is the One who created you, then from you is a disbeliever and from you is a believer (fa-minkum kaafirun wa-minkum mu’minun). And God is Seer of what you do.
[64:13] God, there is no other god besides He. Upon God is who put trust are the believers (wa-`alaa allahi fal-yatawakkali al-mu’minuuna).
[66:4] If the two of you (two wives of the prophet) repent to God, then your hearts have listened. But if you (both) band together against him, then indeed, God is his Protector, and Gabriel and righteous of the believers (fa-inna allaha huwa mawlaahu wa-jib’reelu wa-saalihu al-mu’mineena) and the angels are also his helpers.
[66:5] Perhaps his Lord, if he (prophet) has divorced you, He will substitute for him wives better than you who are submissive, believers, obedient, repentant, worshiping, righteous, previously married, and virgins (muslimatin mu’minaatin qaanitaatin taaibaatin `aabidaatin saalihaatin thyyaibaatin wa-abkaaran).
[71:28] “My (Noah) Lord, forgive me and my parents, and for whoever has entered my house as a believer, and for the believing men and the believing women (wa-liman dhakhla baytiya mu’minan wa-lil’mu’mineena wal-mu’minaati), and You may not increase the wicked except in destruction.”
[74:31] And we have not made guardians of the Fire except angels, and we have not made their number except a warning for those who disbelieved, that it may ascertain those who have been given the scripture (Jews and Christians) and may increase faith of those who have believed (Muslims), and may not doubt those who have been given the scripture (Jews and Christians) and the believers (Muslims) (wa-laa-yartaaba alladheena uutuu al-kitaaba wal-mu’mineena). And that may say those in their hearts there is a disease (hypocrites) and the disbelievers, “What has God meant by this allegory?” Thus, God misguides whomever He wills and He guides whomever He wills. And none knows your Lord’s soldiers except He. And it is not except a reminder for the human race.
[85:7] And they were witnesses to what they were doing with the believers (wa-huwa `alaa maa yaf`aluuna bil-mu’mineena shuhuudun).
[85:10] Indeed, those who persecuted the believing men and the believing women (inna alladheena fatanuu al-mu’mineena wal-mu’minaati), then they do not repent, then for them there is punishment of Hell, and for them there is punishment of the burning Fire.
Here is the summary of 49 instances of mu’min found in 42 verses across 20 suras in the Quran:
- Satan’s advice is very effective on many people except those who are the true believers of God.
- Those who did not believe the Quran or what was of its before will say to their arrogant leaders if it were not you, we would be believers when they stand before their Lord.
- God has confirmed: Noah, Abraham, Moses, Aaron, and Elias were among His believing servants.
- A believing man concealing his faith from the people of Pharaoh said to his people, “Would you kill someone who said my Lord is God and he came with the clear proofs from his Lord.”
- Whoever has done evil will be compensated for what he had done while who has done good whether a male or female being a believer will enter Garden having unlimited provision.
- When the wicked see punishment will say, “Our Lord remove Your punishment we are believers.”
- God has confirmed that there are enough signs in the heavens and the earth for the believers.
- God taught Muhammad, who has been given the Quran the believers’ statement of faith: laa-ilaha illaa allah (there is no other god except God), and to ask His forgiveness of his sins and of the believing men and the believing women while He is Knower of all our return and reward.
- God has sent down the tranquility into hearts of the believers to increase faith with their faith.
- God will remove the misdeeds from the believing men and the believing women and will admit them into Gardens wherein they will abide forever.
- The people who had evil thought in their hearts thought that the messenger and the believers will not be able to return to their families from the battle.
- God promised the believers abundant spoils that they can take, which may be a sign for them that they can be guided to a straight path.
- The disbelievers barred the believers from the Sacred Masjid preventing the offering to reach its destination, which saved the believers by identifying the believing men and the believing women so that they did not hurt them unknowingly.
- During the time of ignorance God sent down tranquility upon His messenger and the believers and made them adhere to the word of righteousness what they deserved and was worthy of it.
- The believers will make peace between the two parties of the believers who are fighting one other.
- The true believers are brothers while they should make peace between them and should fear God.
- The true believers are those who have believed in God and His messenger while they do not doubt and have strived with their money and their lives in the path of God.
- The role of messenger is to remind but the reminder will benefit those who have been the believers.
- The messenger calls the people to believe in their Lord while He accepted a pledge of the believers.
- A day the believing men and the believing women will radiate their light at their ahead and by their right, which is good news for the believers and is the greatest success for them.
- The secret counsel of the Satan causes grief to those who accepted it while he cannot harm in any way to the believers who put their trust upon God.
- God threw terror into the hearts of the disbelievers of the people of the scripture, who destroyed their homes with their own hands and the hands of the believers that they could not think.
- When the believing women came to the believers as emigrants, then they should be tested first and if they found them believers, they should not be returned to their disbelieving husbands but would give back what they spent while the believer marry them with paying proper bridal payment.
- If any believer’s wife has escaped to the disbelievers, then you shall force that you can give back who lost his wife what he had spent.
- The prophet was told to ask God’s forgiveness of the believing women who came to him and pledged to him not to associate anything with God and not to do any unrighteous deeds.
- The prophet was told to give good news to the believers of help and near victory from Him.
- God has let us know that He created us while He has made disbelievers and believers among us.
- God has confirmed that there is no god except He and upon Him who put trust are the believers.
- God warned two of prophet’s wives to repent to Him and not to band together against their husband.
- If prophet divorced any of his wives, God would substitute a better believing as well as the righteous one in her place for him.
- Noah prayed to God for the forgiveness of the believers while asked Him not to increase the wicked.
- Quran’s mathematical coding is a reminder for the believers to increase their faith and a warning for the human race among those who wish to advance or to stay behind.
- God destroyed those who wanted to see the burning of the burning of the believers.
- Those who persecuted the believers did not repent to God thereafter for them for their wickedness there is a punishment of Hell as well as for them there is a punishment of the burning Fire.
In conclusion, we reviewed 274 instances of mu’min (229) and iimaan (45), and what we reviewed before, and can reflect to the root patterns of Arabic words: (1) aslama -> islam -> muslim, (2) aamana -> iimaan -> mu’min and (3) ittaqa -> taqwaa -> muttaqeen, and their relation in terms of messages, and Quran and its mathematical coding as a reminder, guidance, healing, mercy, straight path, and good news for a believer to firm our faith as the believers to make our desired destination.
Peaceful Friday, salaam and God bless.