There are 38 instances related to fataha can broadly be classified into the verb (20), noun (16) and participle (2) forms as shown in the table below: The instances have meanings based on their grammatical forms while an Arabic word may have different meanings in different contexts as well.
Note: The above table is populated with data obtained from the corpus.quran.com indicating 3 different grammatical groups.
Instances of fataha
There are 16 instances of fataha in the verb form meaning “to open/grant” in 16 verses across 15 suras are described below:
[2:76] And when they have met those who have believed, they said: “We have believed!”, and when has met some of them to other they said: “Do you inform them of what God has disclosed to you (a-tuhaddithuunahum bimaa fataha allahu `alaykum) that they argue you with it about your Lord? Do you then not understand?”
[6:44] Then when they have forgot what they have been reminded with it, we have opened for them gates of everything (fatahnaa `alayhim abwaaba kulli shayin) until when they have rejoiced in what they have been given; we have seized them suddenly is when they are stunned.
[7:89] “Certainly, we would have fabricated a lie about God if we have returned to your religion after when God has saved us from it; and it would not be for us that we return in it except God our Lord wills. Our Lord has encompassed everything with knowledge. Upon God we put trust. Our Lord, open between us and between our people with the truth (rabbanaa if’tah baynanaa wa-bayna qawminaa bil-haqqi), and you are best of the Opener.”
[7:96] And if that the cities’ people had believed and feared; certainly, we would have opened for them blessings from the sky and the land (la’fatahnaa `alayhim barakaatin mina al-samaa-i wal-ardi); but they had denied, so we have seized them for what they have done to earn.
[12:65] And when they had opened their bags (wa-lamaa fatahuu mataa`ahum), they found their goods has been returned to them, and they said: “O our father, what can we desire? This is our goods has been returned to us. And we can get provision for our family, and we will protect our brother and can get an increase measure of a camel load. That is an easy measure!”
[15:14] And if we have opened for them a gate of the sky (wa-lam fatahnaa `alayhim baaban mina al-samaa-i), then they have continued to ascend therein.
[21:96] Until when has been opened Gog and Magog (hattaa idhaa futihat yajuuju wa-majuuju), and they will descend from every elevation.
[23:77] Until when we have opened for them a gate of a severe punishment (hattaa idhaa fatahnaa `alayhim baaban dhaa `adhaabin shadeedin), then they are despair therein.
[26:118] “So open between me (Noah) (fa-if’tah bayni-i) and them judgment, and save me and whoever is with me of the believers.”
[34:26] Say: “Our Lord will gather of ourselves, then He will judge between ourselves with the truth (thumma yaf’tahu baynanaa bil-haqqi). And He is the Judge, the Knower.”
[35:2] Whatever of mercy God grants to the people (maa yaf’tahi allahu lil’nnasi min rahmatin), then none can be a withholder of it. And whatever He withholds, then none can be a sender of it thereafter, and He is the Almighty, the Wise.
[39:71] And has been driven those who have disbelieved to Hell in groups until when they have reached it, has been opened its gates (futihat abwaabuhaa), and has said its guards to them, “Did not come to you messengers from among you, who recite to you of your Lord revelations and warn you of this meeting of your day?” They have said, “Yes but word of the punishment has justified upon the disbelievers.”
[39:73] And has been driven those who have feared their Lord to Paradise in groups until when they have reached it, and has been opened its gates (wa-futihat abwaabuhaa) and has said its guards to them, “Peace be upon you, have been done well by you. So, enter it, are abiding forever.”
[48:1] Indeed, we have given to you (inna fatahnaa laka) a clear victory.
[54:11] So we have opened gates of the sky with pouring water down (fa-fatahnaa abwaaba al-samaa-i bimaain mun’hamirin).
[78:19] And has been opened the sky that it has made gates (wa-futihati al-samma-u fa-kaanat awaaban).
Instance of tufattahu
There is only 1 instance of tufattahu in the verb form meaning “to be opened” in 1 verse in 1 sura is described below:
[7:40] Indeed, those who have denied our revelations and have been arrogant towards them, will not be opened for them gates of the sky (laa-tufattahu lahum abwaaba al-samaa-i), nor will they enter the Paradise until the camel can pass through an eye of the needle. Thus that we recompense the criminals.
Instances of is’taftahu
There are 3 instances of is’tafttahu in the verb form meaning “to seek victory” in 3 verses across 3 suras are described below:
[2:89] And when has come to them a scripture from God, is confirming that which is with them, and they have done before to seek victory over those who have disbelieved (wa-kaanuu min qablu yastaftihuuna `alaa alladheena kafaruu); so when has come to them which they have recognized, have disbelieved in it! God’s curse is upon the disbelievers.
[8:19] If you (disbelievers) seek victory (in tastaftihuu), then certainly, has come to you the victory. And if you refrain, then it is better for you, and if you return, then we will return, and your force will not help from you even if it has outnumbered. And that God is with the believers.
[14:15] And they have sought victory and has disappointed every stubborn tyrant (wa-is’taf’tahu wa-khaaba kulli jabbaaran `aneedan).
Instance of fattaah
There is only 1 instance of fattaah in the noun form meaning “the judge” in 1 verse in 1 sura is described below:
[34:26] Say: “Our Lord will gather of ourselves, then He will judge between ourselves with the truth. And He is the Judge, the Knower (wa-huwa al-fataahu al-`aleemu).”
Instances of fath
There are 12 instances of fath in the noun form meaning “victory/judgment” in 12verses across 9 suras are described below:
[4:141] Those who wait with you, then if it has been for you a victory from God (fa-in kaana lakum fathun mina allahi), they said: “Were we not with you?” And if it has been for the disbelievers a turn, they said: “Did we not side with you and protect you from the believers?” While God will judge between you on a day of the Resurrection, and God will not give a success over the believers.
[5:52] So you see those, there are a disease in their hearts hasten to them (the disbelieving Jews and Christians), saying: “We fear that a disaster befalls us!” While it has been that God brings with the victory (fa-`asaa allahu an yatiya bil-fathi) or a decree from Himself, then they become regretful for what they had concealed within themselves.
[8:19] If you seek victory, then certainly, has come to you the victory (fa-qad jaa-akumu al-fathu). And if you refrain, then it is better for you, and if you return, then we will return, and your force will not help from you even if it has outnumbered. And that God is with the believers.
[26:118] “So open between me (Noah) and them judgment (wa-baynahum fathan), and save me and whoever is with me of the believers.”
[32:28] And they say: “When is this – the judgment (mataa haadhaa al-fathu), if you have been truthful?”
[32:29] Say: “A day of the judgment (yawma al-fathi) will not benefit those who have disbelieved in their faith, nor will they be given respite.”
[48:1] Indeed, we have given to you a clear victory (fathan mubeenan).
[48:18] God has been pleased with the believers when they pledge allegiance to you (prophet) under the tree. As He has known what is in their hearts, so He has sent down the tranquility upon them, and has rewarded them a near victory (wa-athaabahum fathan qareeban).
[48:27] Certainly, God has fulfilled His messenger’s vision with the truth: “Certainly, you will enter the Sacred Masjid, God willing, secure, are having shaved your heads and shortened without fearing.” Thus, He has known what you do not know, while He has made other than that a near victory (fa-ja`ala min duuni dhaalika fathan qareeban).
[57:10] And what is for you that you do not spend in the cause of God, while to God is heritage of the heavens and the earth? It does not equal of you who has spent before the victory and has fought (man anfaqa min qabli al-fathi wa-qaatala). Those are greater in rank than those who have spent after that and have fought. And to each, God has promised the best, and God is Cognizant of what you do.
[61:13] And another you love that a help from God and near victory (wa-ukh’raa tuhibbuunahaa nasrun mina allahi wa-fathun); and you shall give good news to the believers.
[110:1] When has come God’s help and the victory (idhaa jaa-a nasru wal-fathu).
Instances of mafaatih
There are 3 instances of mafaatih in the noun form meaning “keys” in 3 verses across 3 suras are described below:
[6:59] And with Him are keys of the unseen (wa-`indahu mafaatihu al-ghaybi), none knows them except He. And He knows what is in the land and in the sea; and a leaf does not fall except He knows it, nor a seed in the darknesses of the earth, nor is it moist or dry except is in a clear record.
[24:61] There is no blame upon the blind, nor is there any blame upon the crippled, nor is there any blame upon the ill, nor is there any blame upon yourselves, if you eat at your homes, or the homes of your fathers, or the homes of your mothers, or the homes of your brothers, or the homes of your sisters, or the homes of your uncles, or the homes of your aunts, or the homes of your mothers’ brothers, or the homes of your mothers’ sisters, or of which its keys you have possessed (aw maa malaktum mafaatihahu), or of your friends. It has not been any blame for you that you eat together or as individual. So when you have entered homes, then you shall greet a greeting for yourselves of from God is a good blessing. Thus that God makes clear the revelations for you that you may understand.
[28:76] Indeed, Qarun has been from Moses’ people that he has oppressed upon them. And we have given him of the treasures, which is indeed its keys certainly burden with a company possessors of great strength (maa inna mafaatihahu la’tanuu-u bil-`usbati ulee al-quwati). When his people said to him: “You do not exult, indeed, God does not like the exultation.”
Instance of faatiheen
There is only 1 instance of faatiheen in the active participle form meaning “opener” in 1 verse in 1 sura is described below:
[7:89] “Certainly, we would have fabricated a lie about God if we have returned to your religion after when God has saved us from it; and it would not be for us that we return in it except God our Lord wills. Our Lord has encompassed everything with knowledge. Upon God we put trust. Our Lord, open between us and between our people with the truth, and you are a best of the Opener (wa-anta khayru al-faatiheena).”
Instance of mufattahat
There is only 1 instance of mufattahat in the passive participle form meaning “that are opened” in 1 verse in 1 sura is described below:
[38:50] Gardens of Eden; are opened for them (the righteous) the gates (mufattahatan lahumu al-abwaabu).
- Those who said with the believers that they have believed what has been revealed but have concealed what God has disclosed.
- God has opened for them every opportunity to enjoy, then He has suddenly seized them.
- The true believers never go back to the religion they used to practice when God has saved them as they have put trust upon Him and they know that He is the best Opener.
- Those who have believed and feared God, He has opened the blessing for them from the sky and the land but those who have denied, He has seized them for what they have done to earn.
- When Joseph’s brother returned home and opened their bags, they found what they took as a gift for the king instead of getting any goods from the king.
- When God has opened the gate of the sky for those who have continued to ascend it.
- The world will end until Gog and Magog are opened to descend from every elevation.
- When afflicted them with a lenient retribution does not turn them to God except until requited with a severe punishment when they become despair.
- Noah asked God to open a judgment between him and his people as well as to save him and whoever believed with him.
- Our Lord will gather us, then He will judge between us with the truth as He is the Judge, the Knower.
- God grants mercy to whoever He wills and He withholds it from whoever He wills.
- The disbelievers will be driven in throngs until they reach the opened gates of Hell when its guards will say that has not come to you messengers from among yourselves to recite God’s revelations.
- The believers will be driven in throngs until they reach the opened gates of Paradise when its guards will say that peace be upon you, you have done well and enter it for abiding therein forever.
- God has given a victory to his prophet and those who believed with him.
- God opened the gates of the sky for pouring water down to punish the disbelieving people of Noah.
- An event of a day of the Judgment is that the sky has been opened as if it has made the gates.
- Those who have denied God’s revelations and have been arrogant to them will not enter Paradise until a camel passes through an eye of the needle.
- When a scripture what they (Jews and Christians) expected has come to them confirming which is with them and they have recognized it but have disbelieved in it, God has cursed the disbelievers.
- The disbelievers may seek victory but the victory comes from God and He is with the believers.
- When the disbelievers seek a victory but every time they have disappointed being tyrant stubborn.
- Those who wait said we are with you when the victory comes for the believers but if the turn for the disbelievers they said we are with you.
- Those who have disease in their hearts hasten to people of the previous scripture and said that a disaster befall on them.
- The disbelievers said that when is the judgment while a day of the Judgment will not benefit them.
- God has been pleased with the believers and has rewarded them with the near victory.
- God has fulfilled His messenger’s vision to enter the Sacred Masjid giving him a near victory.
- It is better for those who spend in the cause of God before the victory and have fought than after.
- A victory only comes through God as and when He wants to come it.
- With God is keys of the unseen and He knows what is in the land and what is in the sea, even a leaf does not fall or a seed is in the darkness whether it is dry or wet without His knowledge.
- Women can eat at homes of near relatives including having keys of the homes and of their friends.
- Qarun oppressed Moses’ people, was a possessor of treasures, its keys carried by stronger men.
- Gardens of Eden; are opened for them (the righteous) the gates.
The review may help us to reflect that God is the Judge and the Wise, and He will judge between us with the truth. He is the best Opener, who opens gates for both fortune and misfortune for us while victory only comes through Him as and when He grants it. Thus, whatever happens in the universe and to ourselves does not happen except His knowledge, even a leaf does not fall without His knowledge. The disbelievers will enter Hell in throngs as He has made it difficult for them to enter the Paradise like passing of a camel through an eye of the needle while the righteous will enter the Paradise in throngs being greeted by its guards. However, the world will not come to an end until Gog and Magog are opened to descend from every elevation, which is a sign yet to come before the end of the world while many of signs for this event have already been fulfilled if we can reflect to them. We may also reflect to the naming of Sura 1: الفاتحة (Al-Faatihah) as God has not chosen a word from its content to name it like other suras of the Quran having 7 letters in its spelling and 7 verses of sura, and 7 is a very significant number at God making it very special for us as our gate opener to the Paradise.
Peaceful Friday, salaam and God bless.